Class of 2015 - PF Brodricks Jones (CA) to UTEP | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 PF Brodricks Jones (CA) to UTEP

Lets look at the positive side just signed a 5 star gaurd and if we loose Daigne we have an athletic second choice. Not a bad thing. Everyone should stop trashing on Chino. He came to this school when we had 13 scholarships, had nothing to do with the issues, gets good grades and with a deep bench he would have been fine. Don't bash the kid because the leaders did not do their part.

I believe there are some fans that desire a roster of only 5-star studs, including walk-ons, that all stay four years... and they would still find a way to "trash" them.

Can't please everyone, no matter how ridiculous the expectations are.

I believe there are some fans that desire a roster of only 5-star studs, including walk-ons, that all stay four years... and they would still find a way to "trash" them.

Can't please everyone, no matter how ridiculous the expectations are.

It's not ridiculous to have all 4 and 5 star guys on this team, but yeah, we should be that high on the food chain to not have to go after 2-3 star guys. Is it wrong to believe that we're that great of a program? We're not Creighton or Gonzaga, we're freaking Syracuse one of the top teams in the ACC..

I understand there are hidden gems out there and we've had some of them, but most times it doesn't pan out well.

It's not ridiculous to have all 4 and 5 star guys on this team, but yeah, we should be that high on the food chain to not have to go after 2-3 star guys. Is it wrong to believe that we're that great of a program? We're not Creighton or Gonzaga, we're freaking Syracuse one of the top teams in the ACC..

I understand there are hidden gems out there and we've had some of them, but most times it doesn't pan out well.

Nonsense. It's worked out numerous times, often to great effect. Rony Seikaly. Sherman Douglas. Lawrence Moten. Hakim Warrick. Arinze Onuaku. Andy Rautins. Etc. etc. etc.

The bottom line is that while people would love for us to have a team of all 5 stars, traditionally we've been a program more of program guys with only a handful of elite recruits mixed in. And while that trend has changed a bit more in recent years, I wouldn't worry about the staff bringing in a 3 star prospect if said player is a program fit.

This particular kid looks a lot like Ed O'Bannon to me [right down to the body type and versatile game]. Not suggesting he'll be quite that good, but to suggest that he can't play at SU or that we're somehow wasting a scholarship pursuing him is premature and probably off-target.

Nonsense. It's worked out numerous times, often to great effect. Rony Seikaly. Sherman Douglas. Lawrence Moten. Hakim Warrick. Arinze Onuaku. Andy Rautins. Etc. etc. etc.

The bottom line is that while people would love for us to have a team of all 5 stars, traditionally we've been a program more of program guys with only a handful of elite recruits mixed in. And while that trend has changed a bit more in recent years, I wouldn't worry about the staff bringing in a 3 star prospect if said player is a program fit.

This particular kid looks a lot like Ed O'Bannon to me [right down to the body type and versatile game]. Not suggesting he'll be quite that good, but to suggest that he can't play at SU or that we're somehow wasting a scholarship pursuing him is premature and probably off-target.

You named 6 guys in 40 years. It's fine, like I said in my original post yes, some pan out. At the end of the day I'm willing to bet that more 5 and 4 star players pan out more than 3 stars so it kinda would make sense to grab the higher rated ones if you're able to.

Dude traditionally had 4 year guys every year, they've adjusted, we've adjusted. I don't understand what I"m saying that's so wrong that we should have all 4-5 star guys, it's possible, we're a good enough school to do that.

You named 6 guys in 40 years. It's fine, like I said in my original post yes, some pan out. At the end of the day I'm willing to bet that more 5 and 4 star players pan out more than 3 stars so it kinda would make sense to grab the higher rated ones if you're able to.

Dude traditionally had 4 year guys every year, they've adjusted, we've adjusted. I don't understand what I"m saying that's so wrong that we should have all 4-5 star guys, it's possible, we're a good enough school to do that.

I agree with what you're saying but I'm confused about the debate. We pretty much already are a 4/5 star exclusive program. If Diagne does in fact end up here, 10 of our 11 scholarship players will be 4/5 star recruits (if memory serves), with Obokoh being the outlier. If Diagne doesn't come here and we get Jones, he'd be our second 3 star player but only because of the bizarre/unfortunate late-developing Diagne situation.

I agree with what you're saying but I'm confused about the debate. We pretty much already are a 4/5 star exclusive program. If Diagne does in fact end up here, 10 of our 11 scholarship players will be 4/5 star recruits (if memory serves), with Obokoh being the outlier. If Diagne doesn't come here and we get Jones, he'd be our second 3 star player but only because of the bizarre/unfortunate late-developing Diagne situation.

I'm fine with our recruiting, I was responding originally to a post where somebody said that we're pretty much pompous jerks for wanting 4-5 star guys then responding again to somebody who said that what I was saying was nonsense.

I'm fine with a majority of our recruiting, think we could have done better than Chinoso but outside of that I'm pretty much good.

6 guys in 40 years, because the vast majority of recruits we bring in ARE 4 stars or better. But its not as though some of the few unheralded guys we've recruited that weren't highly regarded didn't pan out as you suggested--several of them have. In fact, several of the guys I listed didn't just pan out--they are among the top players in program history, which kind of debunks your premise.

And yes, I understand for every example of a Sherman Douglas there is a Sean Williams. I tend to trust the coaches eyes on this topic, as they do a good job of evaluating player potential. We're not talking about having to bring in a Greg Davis, for example, because we simply had noone else and had to swing for the fences in hopes we could catch lightning in a bottle.

Last edited:
I don't think you can look at the project / non-project recruit in a historical context. Only because we have historically operated with 13 available scholarships and a coach that virtually never goes beyond a 9 man rotation. With that calculus you can easily afford to take chances on a couple of "3 star" or project type recruits. In fact it's almost a requirement that you do otherwise you'll have guys that are going to be very unhappy with their roles while they are sitting waiting for the log jam in front of them to clear.

However, with the sanctions in place and the uncertain nature about how many scholarships we will actually have available over the next couple of years it is reasonable to question whether or not we can afford to burn the available scholarships on the "project" or 3 star type of player and also invest the time in waiting for him to develop into a serviceable player.

I'm not saying we should or we shouldn't, just that it is a reasonable point of debate. Ultimately the staff understands the makeup of the roster and the potential of the guys we are bringing in 10,000 x better than any of us, so there is a point where we need to assume they are making a reasonable gamble. It may not work out the way they envision but no one is right 100% of the time. Well .... no one other than me.

I just hope Diange comes here so we don't have to take Jones. I'm sure he's a decent prospect, but the class we really want here next year doesn't include him.

Maybe I'm missing something, but until Jake or Bees weigh in on this issue of Diange or someone else not being available, this discussion seems like pure speculation based on one or two random posts. The only reliable information we've heard is that Jones has tweeted that he has been contacted by SU.

orangejunkie said:
Maybe I'm missing something, but until Jake or Bees weigh in on this issue of Diange or someone else not being available, this discussion seems like pure speculation based on one or two random posts. The only reliable information we've heard is that Jones has tweeted that he has been contacted by SU.
One or two random posts? Recruiting a guy last minute for a position we have filled? The guy that had that spot not on campus, not even in the United States...? It's not just random posts.

One or two random posts? Recruiting a guy last minute for a position we have filled? The guy that had that spot not on campus, not even in the United States...? It's not just random posts.

Yeah recruiting a guy we haven't even offered.

And the guy is not in the United States now, but expects to be in the States and on campus for the fall semester.

My god.

Do we have the position filled? A couple of months ago we were actively recruiting Bryant. I think we had all come to the conclusion that it was filled because of the scholarship situation. If the staff has a clear picture that that situation is changing for the good then I'm not so sure the position is filled if only because we have a bunch of guys with very, very limited experience that we are expecting to fill the position.

Do we have the position filled? A couple of months ago we were actively recruiting Bryant. I think we had all come to the conclusion that it was filled because of the scholarship situation. If the staff has a clear picture that that situation is changing for the good then I'm not so sure the position is filled if only because we have a bunch of guys with very, very limited experience that we are expecting to fill the position.

That's a good point. Right now, the sanctions haven't applied due to the appeal. We also may not qualify to begin during the 2015 - 2016 season, due to the late addition of Chuckwu putting us over the 10 scholarship limit. So, the staff might be looking to load up since we probably aren't going to begin the penalties this year anyway.

Right now, lots of things are fluid.

Bryant and Diagne were different needs though. Zero chance JB is taking a late flyer on this kid if Diagne is already in the fold. This seems like a move we are making to fill out the rotation this year.

Right now, lots of things are fluid.
And the clock is ticking. I'm sure Jones wants to finalize where he is going the next four years. Hopefully if there is an issue with Diagne that it gets settled one way or another relatively soon, so if Jones is the back up plan he is still an option.

I just hope Diange comes here so we don't have to take Jones. I'm sure he's a decent prospect, but the class we really want here next year doesn't include him.

I agree, Diange is a young man that wants to be here. He has stood by us thru all the NCAA stuff, so I'm all in on Diange.

My goodness, Jones is a good recruit. Diagne is our guy, but "worst case scenario" Jones would do well here. He is a borderline top 100 or so player in the country with good size. Haven't seen much about him obviously but CJ Fair in the rankings comes to mind.

When I watch his tape I see a long athletic kid who looks every bit of 6-8. Has a nice looking step back jumper from about 19 feet in the second clip. A left handed baby hook from the post. Kid looks athletic and nimble to me. I don't see much difference between him and Roberson's high school tape or Hakim for that matter.

Any comparison to Chinso is absurd.

I think this kid is a nice looking prospect and I hope we bring him in (with or without Diagne).

I'd like to think Syracuse is getting a major reprieve on the scholarship reduction and they know this. The reduction penalties did not fit the crimes.

When I watch his tape I see a long athletic kid who looks every bit of 6-8. Has a nice looking step back jumper from about 19 feet in the second clip. A left handed baby hook from the post. Kid looks athletic and nimble to me. I don't see much difference between him and Roberson's high school tape or Hakim for that matter.

Any comparison to Chinso is absurd.

I think this kid is a nice looking prospect and I hope we bring him in (with or without Diagne).

I'd like to think Syracuse is getting a major reprieve on the scholarship reduction and they know this. The reduction penalties did not fit the crimes.

His game is obviously different than Mustapha's, closer to Bryant's, so I don't see him as just a stop gap.

First day of classes at SU is Aug 31. Registration deadline is Aug 29.

Yeah recruiting a guy we haven't even offered.

And the guy is not in the United States now, but expects to be in the States and on campus for the fall semester.

My god.
Recruiting and offering are different things. One can recruit without offering, for about a million reasons. I think you know that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom