Class of 2015 - PF Brodricks Jones (CA) to UTEP | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 PF Brodricks Jones (CA) to UTEP

I'm fine with our recruiting, I was responding originally to a post where somebody said that we're pretty much pompous jerks for wanting 4-5 star guys then responding again to somebody who said that what I was saying was nonsense.

I'm fine with a majority of our recruiting, think we could have done better than Chinoso but outside of that I'm pretty much good.
Chinoso was Bryant bait.

Chinoso was Bryant bait.
I hope so. Some of the insiders suggest that's not the case. It would be unsettling to think that the staff thought highly enough of his abilities to offer a scholarship with no strings attached. That's akin to digging up a David Patrick/James Theus.

I hope so. Some of the insiders suggest that's not the case. It would be unsettling to think that the staff thought highly enough of his abilities to offer a scholarship with no strings attached. That's akin to digging up a David Patrick/James Theus.

KU and others also offered him. Go back and look. Yes Bryant bait and APR where also part of the overall picture.

The kid has some raw talent. Importantly, he has not exhibited any bad habits, such as pulling rebounds down all the way to his knees before going back up for a shot, only to have a guard strip the ball.

The kid has some raw talent. Importantly, he has not exhibited any bad habits, such as pulling rebounds down all the way to his knees before going back up for a shot, only to have a guard strip the ball.
'Raw' is just politically correct verbiage. Anything raw is never good, unless you like sushi.

Do not lump Patrick and Thues together. Thues still holds the SU record for steals in a season. Int he one year he got PT, he averaged 5.5 ppg, 2.9 rpg. and 5 apg. JB had so little confidence in Patrick that the coach tried to keep an injured Z Sims in an early-round NCAA blowout rather than replace him with the diminutive Aussie.

Do not lump Patrick and Thues together. Thues still holds the SU record for steals in a season.
Wow. Something doesn't seem right about that.

I thought JT transferred to Detroit when Edelin and Gmac arrived and the writing was on the wall.

I never thought he was a liability and at the very least he didn't cause trouble while enrolled coughcough Josh Wright cough

Do not lump Patrick and Thues together. Thues still holds the SU record for steals in a season. Int he one year he got PT, he averaged 5.5 ppg, 2.9 rpg. and 5 apg. JB had so little confidence in Patrick that the coach tried to keep an injured Z Sims in an early-round NCAA blowout rather than replace him with the diminutive Aussie.

That's how I remember Thues also. Obviously not one of our top point guards but a decent assist man and I remember him getting quite a few steals. I thought I was the only one until you posted.

MCW has the steals record for a season at 111 (Thues had 101).

I thought JT transferred to Detroit when Edelin and Gmac arrived and the writing was on the wall.

I never thought he was a liability and at the very least he didn't cause trouble while enrolled coughcough Josh Wright cough

I think that's generally right. Thues was a plan B that we landed when several higher rated players we were chasing went elsewhere. He was reported to have scored 40 in a summer league game agains blue chip PG recruit [and fellow Michigan product] Marcus Taylor, who ended up at MSU.

In general, he wasn't much of a point guard / facilitator. He was more of a second unit / avoid trying to do too much type of PG, but he had some skill and was CERTAINLY better than having MeShaun run the point that year.

I think that's generally right. Thues was a plan B that we landed when several higher rated players we were chasing went elsewhere. He was reported to have scored 40 in a summer league game agains blue chip PG recruit [and fellow Michigan product] Marcus Taylor, who ended up at MSU.

In general, he wasn't much of a point guard / facilitator. He was more of a second unit / avoid trying to do too much type of PG, but he had some skill and was CERTAINLY better than having MeShaun run the point that year.
Kid was ALL CITY in Detroit as I recall. That means he can play. I think he would have been fine, in time.

Maybe that's why my memory of James is more positive than some others. I'm comparing him to MeShaun!

Kid was ALL CITY in Detroit as I recall. That means he can play. I think he would have been fine, in time.

Could be something to that. He didn't play much as a freshman, started about 85% of the season his sophomore year. Might have gotten better each year with some PT.

But I think Doc nailed it above--with Edelin and GMac coming in, Thues say the writing on the wall and headed out rather than lose PT.

LOL. I was trying to come up with an example of a guard with off court issues. I can't believe I missed the obvious.

I think that's generally right. Thues was a plan B that we landed when several higher rated players we were chasing went elsewhere.

For fans who don't go back that far, just out of curiosity, do you (or anyone else) remember any of the higher rated players we were recruiting that year?

For fans who don't go back that far, just out of curiosity, do you (or anyone else) remember any of the higher rated players we were recruiting that year?

Taliek Brown (UConn), Omar Cook (SJU), Andre Barrett (Seton Hall) and Marcus Taylor (MSU) come to mind.

MCW has the steals record for a season at 111 (Thues had 101).
Yep. MCW jumped past Thues. He also played 4 more games; and Thues started only about half of SU's games in 2001-2. So, the steal skills were at least comparable.

Could be something to that. He didn't play much as a freshman, started about 85% of the season his sophomore year. Might have gotten better each year with some PT.

But I think Doc nailed it above--with Edelin and GMac coming in, Thues say the writing on the wall and headed out rather than lose PT.
If memory serves, he also just had a baby that was back in Detroit. I could be wrong.

CuseHulk said:
what happened to "Our interest does not give me a warm a feeling about one of our'15 guys". We had no serious interest. This kid wanted to think and say we did. Much to do bout nothing in the end.

Um no. Look - this is certainly good news. I'd much rather have Diange than Jones this coming year.

But this wasn't a kid that was making stuff up out of thin air.

Um no. Look - this is certainly good news. I'd much rather have Diange than Jones this coming year.

But this wasn't a kid that was making stuff up out of thin air.
Jake are you hearing good things about Diange's eligibility?

50-50. I'm going to take an educated guess and assume Jones could not wait for the Diagne situation to unfold and had to pull the trigger to make sure he had a 'ship somewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom