Class of 2017 - PF Dhamir Cosby-Roundtree (PA) to Villanova | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 PF Dhamir Cosby-Roundtree (PA) to Villanova

Waters just put up a brief story about this now, too - says Cosby-Rountree is regarded as a "rising" junior and has recently added offers from 'nova and VCU

Does this mean we think we are going to strike out on the elite guys for 2017...not sure I like the way things are trending with current scholarship restrictions.

Shaft
He's a complicated man but no one understands him but his woman.
image.jpg

This is all tied to Diagne IMO. He would have played the 4/5 for us and likely been here for 4 years. Now we need to get some long term depth at those positions again. I think Thompson will be the guy because he'd get here next year and looks more like a 5 than a 4 to me. Offering and getting guys to campus to visit are completely different things though. This could be more or less a making sure all are eggs aren't in one basket type of thing.

This is all tied to Diagne IMO. He would have played the 4/5 for us and likely been here for 4 years. Now we need to get some long term depth at those positions again. I think Thompson will be the guy because he'd get here next year and looks more like a 5 than a 4 to me. Offering and getting guys to campus to visit are completely different things though. This could be more or less a making sure all are eggs aren't in one basket type of thing.

...or it could just be that Boeheim liked what he saw, in the workout he went down to see Quade Green. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

...or it could just be that Boeheim liked what he saw, in the workout he went down to see Quade Green. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Of course, I'm sure he did otherwise we wouldn't have offered at all.

But we're chasing (or were) huge 2017 guys...

Hakim Warrick wasn't highly rated.

Again, with JB attending a workout in person and then extending an offer on the spot tells me that it is more about this kid's capabilities and less about moving to plan B. Doesn't mean that we'd necessarily take this kid over Richards / Bamba.

Again, with JB attending a workout in person and then extending an offer on the spot tells me that it is more about this kid's capabilities and less about moving to plan B. Doesn't mean that we'd necessarily take this kid over Richards / Bamba.
So this is some sort of conditional offer? I trust JB but even Warrick was a plan B.

I know the coaches wouldn't offer someone if they don't think they could play here, but we are seeing this same story over and over again. We are all over these elite guys at the beginning, then we back off for whatever reason. I'm not saying this kid can't be a good player, but chances are he is not going to help us right away.

Hakim Warrick came here 13 years ago. For every one of him we have ended up with Sean Williams, Devin Brennan-Mcbride and Buss Patterson. I'm just thinking how we are going to beat Duke/UVA/ Louisville/ UNC.

You aren't going to beat them loading up on 3 star bigs that can't play right away when you only have 10 ships.

So this is some sort of conditional offer? I trust JB but even Warrick was a plan B.

Was just going to post that. He worked out better but we only got Warrick because he was willing to wait and see what Hodge would do.

I know the coaches wouldn't offer someone if they don't think they could play here, but we are seeing this same story over and over again. We are all over these elite guys at the beginning, then we back off for whatever reason. I'm not saying this kid can't be a good player, but chances are he is not going to help us right away.

Hakim Warrick came here 13 years ago. For every one of him we have ended up with Sean Williams, Devin Brennan-Mcbride and Buss Patterson. I'm just thinking how we are going to beat Duke/UVA/ Louisville/ UNC.

You aren't going to beat them loading up on 3 star bigs that can't play right away when you only have 10 ships.

Give me a break. We are talking about a class of 2017 player -- i.e., two years out. This is how recruiting works, you identify kids who you think can play here, and then actively recruit them. I have no idea what you are basing the assessment that he is not going to help us right away on.

This kid just finished his first year on varsity. He's an unknown quantity, so I'm not worried about his ratings relative to others. For all we know, he could be a freaking stud. The hand wringing is pointless--if JB saw him in person and extended him an offer, that's a pretty good indication that he's good enough.

In terms of "we are seeing the same story over and over again" -- what are you talking about? We just landed Battle. We have one of our highest rated classes in the class of 2015, and we're on board with a ton of studs. IMO, this is more indicative of bigs being a focus of upcoming classes, to offset the loss of Diagne. I expect us to get relief vis a vis the NCAA scholarship restrictions, so we might end up taking more than one big. We probably aren't going to add both Richards and Bamba, but maybe we could add one of them AND this kid.

And for the record, for every Sean Williams, Devin Brennan-McBride, and Buss Patteson there have been scores of top 100 recruits who've come here and excelled.

A high end plan B with freak athleticism, who ended up being a future NBA player.

Who says this kid is a plan B?

Give me a break. We are talking about a class of 2017 player -- i.e., two years out. This is how recruiting works, you identify kids who you think can play here, and then actively recruit them. I have no idea what you are basing the assessment that he is not going to help us right away on.

This kid just finished his first year on varsity. He's an unknown quantity, so I'm not worried about his ratings relative to others. For all we know, he could be a freaking stud. The hand wringing is pointless--if JB saw him in person and extended him an offer, that's a pretty good indication that he's good enough.

In terms of "we are seeing the same story over and over again" -- what are you talking about? We just landed Battle. We have one of our highest rated classes in the class of 2015, and we're on board with a ton of studs. IMO, this is more indicative of bigs being a focus of upcoming classes, to offset the loss of Diagne. I expect us to get relief vis a vis the NCAA scholarship restrictions, so we might end up taking more than one big. We probably aren't going to add both Richards and Bamba, but maybe we could add one of them AND this kid.

And for the record, for every Sean Williams, Devin Brennan-McBride, and Buss Patteson there have been scores of top 100 recruits who've come here and excelled.

Not sure if you listened to Francis latest podcast yet, but thats what I was referring to...

RF2044 said:
A high end plan B with freak athleticism, who ended up being a future NBA player. Who says this kid is a plan B?
And if Hodge came? He wouldn't have been here.

That was ultimately my question. Have we moved on from the higher ranked guys that we already offered? We only have minimal spots so I assume a guy like Richards/Bamba is an a type option and DCR is more of a B. That's not to say he isn't good or can't play here. It's like with Quade. He'll be fine if he comes here but there's no way the coaches don't want Duval more...

And if Hodge came? He wouldn't have been here.

That was ultimately my question. Have we moved on from the higher ranked guys that we already offered? We only have minimal spots so I assume a guy like Richards/Bamba is an a type option and DCR is more of a B. That's not to say he isn't good or can't play here. It's like with Quade. He'll be fine if he comes here but there's no way the coaches don't want Duval more...
what would people 'round here say if the staff continued balls-out for Porter/Richards/Bamba, with each of them ultimately picking another school and SU having no alternatives to move on to?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom