Class of 2017 - PF Dhamir Cosby-Roundtree (PA) to Villanova | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 PF Dhamir Cosby-Roundtree (PA) to Villanova

what would people 'round here say if the staff continued balls-out for Porter/Richards/Bamba, with each of them ultimately picking another school and SU having no alternatives to move on to?

We're not getting Bamba or Porter, or even Duval. That writing is on the wall.

My previous post wasn't meant to criticize the staff or the program, but I am slightly concerned we are losing out on players right in our wheelhouse (Huerter/Bryant), while backing off on others that we seemed all in for at first. I know some of that is due to scholarship restrictions and Bryant just wanted to get away, but schools like UVA and Maryland have really stepped up their recruiting recently, and are looking in the same areas we find prospects.

The staff will always take the best players they can find, I know that, so I trust their due diligence, but I am slightly concerned about 2017.

Cusefan0307 said:
We're not getting Bamba or Porter, or even Duval. That writing is on the wall. My previous post wasn't meant to criticize the staff or the program, but I am slightly concerned we are losing out on players right in our wheelhouse (Huerter/Bryant), while backing off on others that we seemed all in for at first. I know some of that is due to scholarship restrictions and Bryant just wanted to get away, but schools like UVA and Maryland have really stepped up their recruiting recently, and are looking in the same areas we find prospects. The staff will always take the best players they can find, I know that, so I trust their due diligence, but I am slightly concerned about 2017.

The JB to Hop transition might be a little uneven.

The JB to Hop transition might be a little uneven.

Very well might be. However, it might be smooth instead. There's always a lot of "might's" that exist.

UVA and Maryland have really stepped up their recruiting
agree about Maryland, they're on an absolute tear, but Uva... they're getting some nice top100 guys (just as we are), but they're certainly not getting the top10 type guys that UK, Duke, Maryland are reeling in

I know the coaches wouldn't offer someone if they don't think they could play here, but we are seeing this same story over and over again. We are all over these elite guys at the beginning, then we back off for whatever reason. I'm not saying this kid can't be a good player, but chances are he is not going to help us right away.

Hakim Warrick came here 13 years ago. For every one of him we have ended up with Sean Williams, Devin Brennan-Mcbride and Buss Patterson. I'm just thinking how we are going to beat Duke/UVA/ Louisville/ UNC.

You aren't going to beat them loading up on 3 star bigs that can't play right away when you only have 10 ships.
I don't think you are looking at the big picture. You might be looking at the 10 ships different than a top 25 kid is looking at our 10 ships. Fewer ships doesn't ensure top 25 talent. Yes, it puts a lot of pressure on our coaches to make it right but it doesn't guarantee these kids will come to the Cuse. Every Plan A needs a Plan B. Even with Battle who verballed to UM. They needed to have a back up plan. Bottom line is that not every top 25 kid is going to be a star and not every kid ranked 75-125 is going to be a flop. I think that's why the coaches shoot for kids with good character, hopefully a good work ethic and hopefully the ability to improve over a four or five year span. Don't forget that MCW and TE left this team way before anyone expected them to. Same for Jonny Flynn.

...or it could just be that Boeheim liked what he saw, in the workout he went down to see Quade Green. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
Except when it's a Rocky Patel 1992 coupled with Corryvreckan (Islay single malt from Ardbeg - mmm, mmm good.)

Your a beautiful human being Tee!
I've got my moments :D
giphy.gif

MCW was a 3 star kid when he committed as a sophomore. This kid has time to develop. I guarantee with all the offer's this kid is getting, he'll end up a 4 star top 100 kid by his senior year.

MCW was a 3 star kid when he committed as a sophomore. This kid has time to develop. I guarantee with all the offer's this kid is getting, he'll end up a 4 star top 100 kid by his senior year.

Was thinking the very same thing. MCW was on no one's radar when SU offered. Same for Anthony Davis. Give it time.

I know the coaches wouldn't offer someone if they don't think they could play here, but we are seeing this same story over and over again. We are all over these elite guys at the beginning, then we back off for whatever reason. I'm not saying this kid can't be a good player, but chances are he is not going to help us right away.

Hakim Warrick came here 13 years ago. For every one of him we have ended up with Sean Williams, Devin Brennan-Mcbride and Buss Patterson. I'm just thinking how we are going to beat Duke/UVA/ Louisville/ UNC.

You aren't going to beat them loading up on 3 star bigs that can't play right away when you only have 10 ships.
Devin BMcB had a bum shoulder. As far as talent, he is an unknown.

Yep. He absolutely has time to develop. He's only a HS junior, and when he gets here, he'll PROBABLY have guys like Lydon (if he's still here) and Taurean Thompson (who I fully expect to land) ahead of him anyway, so he won't be needed for the first year or two.

Hakim Warrick wasn't highly rated.

Again, with JB attending a workout in person and then extending an offer on the spot tells me that it is more about this kid's capabilities and less about moving to plan B. Doesn't mean that we'd necessarily take this kid over Richards / Bamba.

Obokoh wasnt highly rated either. I think there has to be something in the fact that we are prepping for the possibility of striking out on some of the top guys we had hopes for in '17.

Obokoh wasnt highly rated either. I think there has to be something in the fact that we are prepping for the possibility of striking out on some of the top guys we had hopes for in '17.

Pretty sure that he hits more often then not with these guys he's on early that aren't top 50 guys. Lydon being yet another prime example. Oh darn, he missed on a 12th scholly/3rd center type guy in Obokoh who was primarily just a carrot in the long game any way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom