Class of 2016 - PF Harry Giles (NC) to Duke | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 PF Harry Giles (NC) to Duke

I hear you but Wake is a team with some history of success and one of the ACC teams that has a chance to be good on a regular basis. It would be Huge to pick up Giles against Duke and UNC. Manning has things going in the right direction.
For sure -- he's stockpiling bigs ... 2 seven footers, a 6-9 F and a 6-10 F. I agree.. like to see Giles at Wake versus Dook. Either way, we'll be playing against Giles. He'll get Chukwued.

Last edited:
I'd like to see him on Wake. Duke can afford some recruiting misses. They have been absolutely killing it as of late in that dept.

Wake gave us fits and Manning's definitely piling up talent there. They have a 7 footer (Washington) who's pretty decent, and that kid Mitoglu played as though he'd been struck by lightening.

[By Edit} This year they bring in even more size (Doral Moore is 7'1 and they got a 6'10 F).

I'd rather see them, than Duke, get Giles. But let's be careful what we wish for.

I know you're trying to be nice, but Andre Washington is awful. He is a trademark Jeff Bzdelik recruit.

I also appreciate the kind words. It seems that people forget that Wake used to be at least decent. I've seen way too many lump us with the Virginia Tech's, Clemson's, Miami's of the world recently.

I know you're trying to be nice, but Andre Washington is awful. He is a trademark Jeff Bzdelik recruit.

I also appreciate the kind words. It seems that people forget that Wake used to be at least decent. I've seen way too many lump us with the Virginia Tech's, Clemson's, Miami's of the world recently.
Wake seems to be up and down, but there have been some huge ups, unlike those other programs you mentioned. Even going back to Rodney Rodgers, there were some good teams throughout the past few decades, from what I can remember. We Syracuse fans are lucky in that we are never really that far down, at least since JB has been here.

I was being a bit polite with Washington (he didn't do much except look tall in the OT game in the Dome). That said, there's some serious talent on the Wake roster. Your other big (Mitoglu) was unstoppable. You also have size coming in: doral moore is a capable player.

I should also say that our guards (plus G when he was playing point) played matador defense against Miller-McIntyre. This (perimeter defense) was a real problem for us last year and we're praying it gets better this coming season -- hopefully with the maturation of our PG (Joseph).

It'll be a slug-fest this year when we visit Wake .. since I think you guys bring everyone back that did damage last year (M-M, Mitoglu, Thomas, McClinton, Wilbekin, etc)

I considered going to Wake purely because one of my childhood idols - Robert O'Kelley - played there. I saw him play at an AAU national tourney when he was 15 (I was 12) and he was freaking incredible. Became an all-time favorite of mine, even though I imagine he probably wound up being a little frustrating to Wake fans.

Everyone in the ACC is chasing Duke recruiting wise right now. They are on fire. It would be interesting to see how the rest of the teams have stacked up since we joined the conference. I'd have to think we are right there with Lville and UNC behind Duke.

All Wake fans have to do is point to Chris Paul and Tim Duncan. Those 2 are top 10 players in the NBA and are Wake alums. They have major history off that. I hope Giles goes to Wake over Duke.

I'd rather see him go to Duke. Everybody they stockpile now is just overkill. If they beat you by 1 or 50, it's the same thing. Having another team with a stud player could translate to the risk of up to 3 more Ls on the schedule.

I considered going to Wake purely because one of my childhood idols - Robert O'Kelley - played there. I saw him play at an AAU national tourney when he was 15 (I was 12) and he was freaking incredible. Became an all-time favorite of mine, even though I imagine he probably wound up being a little frustrating to Wake fans.

When I went to the Dave Odom Basketball Camp, Robert O'Kelly was my coach (they split us up into teams)

ROK was one of the streakiest players in the ACC when he played at Wake. During ROK's first three years at Wake, Wake was the last team left out of the NCAA Tournament each year. It was very frustrating. During ROK's senior year, Wake started off strong (was ranked as high as #4 that year) and destroyed Kansas by like 30 points in Winston-Salem. That team struggled down the stretch and got ousted in the Round of 64. Dave Odom was forced out weeks later.

reedny, Wake returns pretty much everyone and adds two Top 100 recruits in PG Bryant Crawford and C Doral Moore. They also add John Collins who was ranked in the Top 125.

This is expected to be Dinos Mitglou's (the Euro) last year before he heads back to Greece to play professionally. Miller-McIntyre is very good at taking it to the rim, but has a dreadful shot for a guard. Devin Thomas is anywhere from decent to good, but he needs to control his emotions. Manning benched him several times for letting his emotions get the best of him.

I'm looking forward to the progress of our young guys (Wilbekin, McClinton, Hudson, Mitglou and the three Freshman)

I'd rather see him go to Duke. Everybody they stockpile now is just overkill. If they beat you by 1 or 50, it's the same thing. Having another team with a stud player could translate to the risk of up to 3 more Ls on the schedule.

This is actually a really good point

Not so sure this isn't true of Wake this year -- a win is unlikely. Last year we survived against them (OT) in the Dome with Rak. This year, we play them away and we only have DC2 with no experienced backup. They'll have Miller-McIntyre (we couldn't check him), Mitoglu (we couldn't stop him from scoring), etc.. They're also bringing in a 7' freshman center (moore).

Rather have Giles go to Wake to slow down Dook's recruiting roll. Giles will be gone after this season anyway.

Giles is class of '16

Most people equate Wake as just Tim Duncan, but I remember a guy by the name Len Chappell, drafted by the old Syracuse Nationals in the 1st round, was a great player in college.

I'm not worried who Duke gets. By 2016 we will have Battle/Mali/Lydon/Chukwu/Howard/Moyer and possibly even DC/Roberson/Diagne. Anyway you look at it for 2016 we should have some serious NBA type talent with expierience that should be able to hold their own against the best of the best from the 2016 class.

pearl31 said:
wonder if this will make Duke/Kentucky shy away at all

He's announcing college decision tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom