Matthew Moyer | Page 28 | Syracusefan.com

Matthew Moyer

Any word on how he did yesterday? I know South Kent lost to Hargrave 86-79.

I'll see him tomorrow.

He had 21 and 5 on 11 shots. It would be nice if Tremont waters actually passed. He fired up 25 shots yesterday to score 23 and was 2-13 from 3.

Wow...talk about a ballhog. And somehow, Moyer is still putting up these incredible numbers, though I'd like to see him with more than 5 boards. I love that he's been tearing it up right off the bat since transferring to a much tougher league.

Thanks for the highlight! You know, after watching this film, two thoughts come to mind:

First, I think he might really struggle to have an impact in his first couple years here. He's neither tall nor especially skilled. He does seems athletic, but he's not outrageously explosive. He's listed at 6'8, but in this video he looks more like 6'6. Unless he's got really strong court awareness and intelligence (ala CJ Fair), which is next to impossible to see in a highlight video.

Second, I really think that his best-case Syracuse comparison might be poor-man's Hakim Warrick--he's got the same quick second jump, LONG arms, and desire to dunk everything. I think his more likely comparison is Paul Harris, an undersized forward/under-skilled guard, athletic, defense-first grinder. I know that a lot people were disappointed by Harris, but he was a solid player, and would have been much better if he was 6'6 like Moyer.

Thanks for the highlight! You know, after watching this film, two thoughts come to mind:

First, I think he might really struggle to have an impact in his first couple years here. He's neither tall nor especially skilled. He does seems athletic, but he's not outrageously explosive. He's listed at 6'8, but in this video he looks more like 6'6. Unless he's got really strong court awareness and intelligence (ala CJ Fair), which is next to impossible to see in a highlight video.

Second, I really think that his best-case Syracuse comparison might be poor-man's Hakim Warrick--he's got the same quick second jump, LONG arms, and desire to dunk everything. I think his more likely comparison is Paul Harris, an undersized forward/under-skilled guard, athletic, defense-first grinder. I know that a lot people were disappointed by Harris, but he was a solid player, and would have been much better if he was 6'6 like Moyer.

He's a legit 6'8". He's been measured at various camps. Moyer is very skilled and is working his ass off to get better. He clearly needs to improve his strength, handle and jumper.

Paul Harris? I'm not sure I get that comparison at all. Paul Harris was maybe 6'4" and probably should've been a 2 at the college level but he never developed an outside shot. Moyer has a developing handle and could morph into a 3/4 who can distribute to his teammates and be a solid guy in breaking full court pressure. I see him as a pure 4 at this juncture. In the video AWMKY linked above, you can see signs of that emerging handle. Moyer likes to go behind the back, which is pretty impressive for a guy his size and he is getting a lot more confident with the ball in his hands.

I think he might turn into a rich man's Tobias Harris...similar body type but Moyer is much more aggressive in attacking the rim.

He's a legit 6'8". He's been measured at various camps. Moyer is very skilled and is working his ass off to get better. He clearly needs to improve his strength, handle and jumper.

Paul Harris? I'm not sure I get that comparison at all. Paul Harris was maybe 6'4" and probably should've been a 2 at the college level but he never developed an outside shot. Moyer has a developing handle and could morph into a 3/4 who can distribute to his teammates and be a solid guy in breaking full court pressure. I see him as a pure 4 at this juncture. In the video AWMKY linked above, you can see signs of that emerging handle. Moyer likes to go behind the back, which is pretty impressive for a guy his size and he is getting a lot more confident with the ball in his hands.

I think he might turn into a rich man's Tobias Harris...similar body type but Moyer is much more aggressive in attacking the rim.

I really, really hope you are right, but I'm very skeptical. I don't trust any high school BB camp's height measurements except for USA BB. Remember, both the high school coaches and the camps have a vested interest in overstating players' heights for recruiting purposes. Remember when Michael Beasley was listed as 6'10 in high school and Dwight Howard was 7'0 in high school too, lol.

I also don't see evidence of a handle. He can get dribble enough to get around his man in HS, but I don't see an actual "handle". You should watch videos of the aforementioned Howard leading the fast break in high school. He's pretty effective. But that doesn't cut it in the NBA, and might not in college either.

As far as a rich man's Tobias Harris. Well... Harris just signed a contract that was only a hair less than the max. If Moyer does better than that he'd either be the 2nd or 3rd best Syracuse NBA player ever. So... I hope you are right, but I'm skeptical.

Again, I'm not saying Moyer's gonna be a bust. I think that being a poor man's Warrick or rich man's Harris would mean that Moyer had a very useful and satisfying Syracuse career. And I don't know how Moyer's intangibles are, except that clearly he plays with a great deal of passion. If those are exceptional, than Moyer could be a great player sooner rather than later. Highlight tapes might not have shown Ennis or Aaron Craft as likely to be successful early in their career, but clearly they both were tremendously so.

NYCorange: I should've clarified my Tobias Harris comment. My "rich man's Tobias Harris" was a comparison to Harris at tbe same time in his development. I have no clue if Moyer's skill set will help him become a better pro than Harris but I'll take Moyer as a freshman at Syracuse over the Harris that came into Rocky Top.

I said he has a developing handle. It's a work-in-progress.

Where's this 6'6" business coming from? We know JB is 6'3". He's more than 3 inches taller.

image.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom