Class of 2017 - PF Nick Richards (NJ) to Kentucky | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 PF Nick Richards (NJ) to Kentucky

Where would he go for his remaining 2 years of eligibility?
Eh .. just playing there. IMO, Syracuse is going to have a tough time convincing a top-5 center that his best opportunity is to come in and ride the bench behind a 7'2" junior C and, possibly, a 6'10" soph.

UK, Indiana, and UConn are going to tell him he starts and plays 25 minutes.

Eh .. just playing there. IMO, Syracuse is going to have a tough time convincing a top-5 center that his best opportunity is to come in and ride the bench behind a 7'2" junior C and, possibly, a 6'10" soph.

when 7-2 Chucky gets on the court and starts swatting away shots there could be lot of fouls called in whitch those minutes are going to increase exponentially.
There will be times when playing a very tall team that Jim may want to go big on both sides of the center Those three and Roberson could be human vacuums out there on the boards.Add a little offnse and there probably will be a FF game in the future. Malachi could be persuaded to stay one more year to enjoy the ride. He won't ever have the chance again to play for fun with his friends. The money will be there when the dealings done.

Last edited:

Just wondering - is Indiana banking on Bryant going pro after this season then?

Just wondering - is Indiana banking on Bryant going pro after this season then?
Next draft. Richards is a class of 2017. Bryant goes after the 2016-17 season. Richards starts for the 2017-18 season.

This is all still a longs way off though and I don't have inside info. But if Chukwu is playing 30+ mpg as a Jr with Moyer and Taurean Thompson as sophs there's not a ton of minutes for a high profile recruit at PF/C. He's not going to want to come to SU and get Boeheimed. Alternately, Chukwu only plays one season, he and Syracuse is awesome and wins a natty, and he goes to the NBA opening up plenty of minutes for a monster recruit.

Why do people imbue Chewie with all these mystical powers? Look at his stats at PC.

Why do people imbue Chewie with all these mystical powers? Look at his stats at PC.
Why do people think that the best or 2nd best center in the 2017 class is going to come to Syracuse and ride the bench behind two others? I am not saying Chukwu is going to be the greatest thing since sliced bread because I don't think Nick Richards will be in Orange.

ETA: Or do you think that Richards will come to Syracuse and take the starting gig from a Jr. Chukwu?

Why do people think that the best or 2nd best center in the 2017 class is going to come to Syracuse and ride the bench behind two others? I am not saying Chukwu is going to be the greatest thing since sliced bread because I don't think Nick Richards will be in Orange.

ETA: Or do you think that Richards will come to Syracuse and take the starting gig from a Jr. Chukwu?

All the schools recruiting him will have bigmen staying/coming into their programs. Look at Uconn , has Diarra in 16 and a top 20 C in Brown that just committed plus the bigs already on the roster

All the schools recruiting him will have bigmen staying/coming into their programs. Look at Uconn , has Diarra in 16 and a top 20 C in Brown that just committed plus the bigs already on the roster
Exactly, it is up to our coaches to sell what we have to offer. All the blue chip schools stockpile talent. We need to start doing the same.

It would help our cause if our coach played more than 6.5 players every year. I think recruits kinda know that Cuse bench players will be Boeheimed...

It would help our cause if our coach played more than 6.5 players every year. I think recruits kinda know that Cuse bench players will be Boeheimed...
If we were lucky enough to land Richards, Chukwu will be a junior, DC will be gone, Chino will be gone and Thompson (if we get him) will be a sophomore. But, Thompson is more a forward than a center. So, theoretically we would have one center ahead of him. Centers do not typically play the minutes that our other players play. I think it is perfectly reasonable to believe that he would get 15 minutes per game at center his freshman year, provided he is good enough. Could other teams promise more minutes? Possibly, but we do offer a pretty good opportunity.

Unless people think Chinoso is being short changed, what big man has ever been relegated to the bench? Even Coleman started averaging 13 minutes a game (until he was hurt) with Rak also starting and Keita playing plenty off the bench in 2012-2013. I'm just confused why you think 2 center/power forwards wouldn't thrive together. Heck McCollough barely played because of injury and when he did was inconsistent yet he was drafted. Sean Williams(remember him?) and Chinoso are the only big men I can recall getting extended bench time. The best players will play, the coaches want to win.

Not good for a team to not have great competition with teammates in practice to improve so they can compete against the best in games. If someone's worried about competition within their team , doubt that attitude bodes well competing against opponents.

If we were lucky enough to land Richards, Chukwu will be a junior, DC will be gone, Chino will be gone and Thompson (if we get him) will be a sophomore. But, Thompson is more a forward than a center. So, theoretically we would have one center ahead of him. Centers do not typically play the minutes that our other players play. I think it is perfectly reasonable to believe that he would get 15 minutes per game at center his freshman year, provided he is good enough. Could other teams promise more minutes? Possibly, but we do offer a pretty good opportunity.
Interesting thing I noticed when watching prospects like Thompson and Cosby-Roundtree. Both guys are basically Power Forwards, but while neither are stiffs athletically they don't really move great laterally. So obviously that would make them liabilities to cover the wings and basically limit them to mainly playing in the middle of the zone.

Duke, UK, KU and other top programs have no problem adding multiple high rated big men to their rosters every year despite how the depth charts are looking. Cuse 91 makes a good point above about recruits being cautious about JB's short rotation. On the flipside it's funny how Bill Self(who might land a top 25 big man later tonight) always find a way to land the 5 star ones while routinely keeping them on the bench in their freshman year like Cliff Alexander and Cheick Diallo.

Interesting thing I noticed when watching prospects like Thompson and Cosby-Roundtree. Both guys are basically Power Forwards, but while neither are stiffs athletically they don't really move great laterally. So obviously that would make them liabilities to cover the wings and basically limit them to mainly playing in the middle of the zone.

Duke, UK, KU and other top programs have no problem adding multiple high rated big men to their rosters every year despite how the depth charts are looking. Cuse 91 makes a good point above about recruits being cautious about JB's short rotation. On the flipside it's funny how Bill Self(who might land a top 25 big man later tonight) always find a way to land the 5 star ones while routinely keeping them on the bench in their freshman year like Cliff Alexander and Cheick Diallo.
I see your point on the lateral movement, but do you see him as a center? He has the height and length, but he would need to bulk up and he seems a bit passive.

I see your point on the lateral movement, but do you see him as a center? He has the height and length, but he would need to bulk up and he seems a bit passive.
Which player are you talking about? If you're talking Thompson, then maybe you haven't seen him play for Brewster this year yet. He's up close to 230 now and has been a consistent scorer for them down low this season against tough comp. DCR on the other hand, I would agree needs to bulk up but we're talking about a 2017 player that has plenty of time to do so.

Not to sidetrack but a lot of people here are expecting chakwa to be sophomore fab melo right out of the gate due to his height and length. Im all for hoping that's the player he is, and I haven't heard any inside info regarding his play in practice but his lone year at PC he averaged 10 min, 2 points, and 2 reb a game and people are already saying he is one and done at Cuse. :bat::rolling:couchburn

Which player are you talking about? If you're talking Thompson, then maybe you haven't seen him play for Brewster this year yet. He's up close to 230 now and has been a consistent scorer for them down low this season against tough comp. DCR on the other hand, I would agree needs to bulk up but we're talking about a 2017 player that has plenty of time to do so.
No, I am basing my thoughts off of older video of him. That is impressive that he is up to 230lbs. That definitely changes my opinion. I would still like to get Richards as well.

No, I am basing my thoughts off of older video of him. That is impressive that he is up to 230lbs. That definitely changes my opinion. I would still like to get Richards as well.
Taurean Thompson.jpg

That's a recent pic of him. Says he has gained around 15-20lbs since being at Brewster.

drop him into the C spot this year, and what do you have? 2 or 3 more wins is what my crystal ball says. Even if he only replicated his PC 1 year stats, he brings credibility to this teams greatest weakness, opponents would have to respect him. He just needs to be a functional center to improve this team tremendously, not an AA.

Does anyone know if Nick Richards likes to be called Nick Rick?

Hey, Francis, this is off-thread, but did you happen to see Doral Moore play when we played Wake? Wow. Not sure what the scouts were smoking to put him 75th or whatever. Kids is going to be a monster.

Richards (in 2 years) fits b/c DC will be gone, as well as Roberson. So there will be plenty of room on the front line.

As far as Thompson, where do you see him getting minutes at the 'Cuse next year if he comes in? Chukwu will be there, and DC has said he's coming back. Assuming there aren't that many minutes at the 5, is Thompson mobile enough to play the 4 for us to give us a second big? He'd be trading minutes with Roberson (assuming Lydon moves over to SF).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom