Taurean Thompson | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Taurean Thompson

Important mid-week visit to solidify his relationship with Thompson and reassure him that: 1) we've passed the squeeze point with scholarships; 2) he has the size and ability to contribute at the 4 and 5; and 3) there's going to be PT for him next year. We do add Chukwu in the middle .. but there's obviously a need for depth/height/athleticism inside.

If Thompson can read the tee leaves here ... he'll see that with him coming on board, next year's team has FF potential ... assuming that all the pieces return due to development and/or a loaded draft year.

Last edited:
I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but I really want to better understand for those that really do have a pulse to the action. It seems to me that as I followed this young man's recruiting, he was for quite a while a mid-level recruit. That is, a guy that would be fine to take but nothing program changing. A guy that few really got all that excited about for a while. However, as time went on (which also seemed to parallel the absence of any remaining recruiting options) his stock grew, at least from Syracuse fans. Reedny might be very right for all I know, but his post above mine talks about him helping us become FF potential if he comes here.

So the question is...

Do you really believe Thompson is a special player or is it perhaps more that we are left with him being likely our last option for this recruiting year so fans are drinking the juice and just hoping? If it is the former, then why is only Providunce and Seton Fall in the mix? Is this really a case where we can just see things that other top programs don't see or he fits so well into our scheme but maybe not others?

Just curious - thanks.

Last edited:
I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but I really want to better understand for those that really do have a pulse to the action. It seems to me that as I followed this young man's recruiting, he was for quite a while a mid-level recruit. That is, a guy that would be fine to take but nothing program changing. A guy that few really got all that excited about for a while. However, as time went on (which also seemed to parallel the absence of any remaining recruiting options) his stock grew, at least from Syracuse fans. Reedny might be very right for all I know, but his post above mine talks about him helping us become FF potential if he comes here.

So the question is...

Do you really believe Thompson is a special player or is it perhaps more that we are left with him being likely our last option for this recruiting year so fans are drinking the juice and just hoping? If it is the former, then why is only Providunce and Seton Fall in the mix? Is this really a case where we can just see things that other top programs don't see or he fits so well into our scheme but maybe not others?

Just curious - thanks.
I didn't mean to suggest that we're not going to be good unless Thompson comes here. We're going to be good regardless. That said, having additional depth/athleticism/size inside is pretty important ... as we've seen this year. Even one player (assuming he meets expectations) can make a big difference.

Last edited:
I didn't mean to suggest that we're not going to be good unless Thompson comes here. We're going to be pretty good regardless. That said, having additional depth/athleticism/size inside is pretty important ... as we've seen this year. Even one player (assuming he meets expectations) can make a big difference.

Nah, you're good. I didn't think you were suggesting that at all. I really just wanted to throw out an honest question about how good people REALLY think Thompson is versus what they have made him up to be because he is our only target. Just curious as all (if people are truly willing to be honest). Thanks, Reedny.

He's a top 100 player. He would be a nice piece off the bench next year as a rebounder and defender. We'll only have 10 scholarship players next year without him. We could do much, much worse for our 11th scholarship. The kid may be just coming into his own.

He's a top 100 player. He would be a nice piece off the bench next year as a rebounder and defender. We'll only have 10 scholarship players next year without him. We could do much, much worse for our 11th scholarship. The kid may be just coming into his own.
With Battle and Moyer comng in along withChuckwu's emergence on the court I see a very good year for the 2016-17 campaign.

I agree, but that's not what I am asking here. In fact, this kind of response is more in line with what I thought originally about this situation; not a piece to the puzzle that is missing which will help us to realize a FF appearance next year. Would he even see the court much next year (realistically)?

The sole reason I bring this up is to try to help ME gain a proper perspective of the young talent rather than swallowing what seems to be some very high (and perhaps unrealistic) expectations of a recruit.

Nicknack said:
I agree, but that's not what I am asking here. In fact, this kind of response is more in line with what I thought originally about this situation; not a piece to the puzzle that is missing which will help us to realize a FF appearance next year. Would he even see the court much next year (realistically)? The sole reason I bring this up is to try to help ME gain a proper perspective of the young talent rather than swallowing what seems to be some very high (and perhaps unrealistic) expectations of a recruit.

I've seen him play. He'll be a solid contributor. We need some depth next year. We don't have much. But beside that, we need to look down the road to the following year. Roberson graduates and Lydon could blow up next year and leave. Who knows what Coleman is planning for next year. And after next year, he's gone as well.

Thompson has been getting high praise lately from recruitniks and alike.

We sorely need some size in the front court.

Cuseguy - we're on the same page. Based on what I know, I want him as well for the reasons you describe above. However, the reason I started my inquiry was based on the statement: "he'll see that with him coming on board, next year's team has FF potential". I just thought that was a bit far reaching and unnecessarily putting higher expectations on him than necessary but I was curious as to what others truly believe.

So the question is...

Just curious - thanks.

Fair question. Keep in mind that Thompson was a kid who played at St. Anthony's, against a top flight national caliber schedule and excelled. He isn't a mid-level recruit--at all. He's had great coaching, and now he's at a prep school that also plays a national caliber schedule. This kid can play, and he can play at the highest levels of play.

I'm not suggesting that he's an NBA caliber talent--although he may well prove to be. He reminds me a lot of Rick Jackson--not suggesting that their games / style of play are similar, just that they both are guys who play fundamental basketball, are somewhat below the rim players who are fundamentally sound, etc. who make the right plays, but aren't necessarily rim rocking pogo sticks who are automatic lottery picks. I think he'd be a great addition. Maybe not a guy who starts year 1, but a guy who could easily be a multi-year starter who is a big time contributor over the course of his career.

Bigs who know how to play, can put the ball in the hole, and who have above average defensive aptitude are at a premium. He'd be a great "get" for our program. That doesn't change just because he's not a one-and-done prospect, or a guy who we might center our offense around. Just my opinion.

Nah, you're good. I didn't think you were suggesting that at all. I really just wanted to throw out an honest question about how good people REALLY think Thompson is versus what they have made him up to be because he is our only target. Just curious as all (if people are truly willing to be honest). Thanks, Reedny.
The guys to reach out to for better information on Thompson's prowess are sprinkled through this thread (usually Tee, Francis and others). Some have actually seen him play (I haven't). But I do know one thing: JB wouldn't take time out of a busy conference schedule (after an exhausting 3-game road stretch) and fly down to meet with a 6'10 prospect unless there's a reason. ;)

The guys to reach out to for better information on Thompson's prowess are sprinkled through this thread (usually Tee, Francis and others). Some have actually seen him play (I haven't). But I do know one thing: JB wouldn't take time out of a busy conference schedule (after an exhausting 3-game road stretch) and fly down to meet with a 6'10 prospect unless there's a reason. ;)

If you haven't seen him play, then why such a strong post like he could be the missing piece to a final four team? You stated "If Thompson can read the tee leaves here ... he'll see that with him coming on board, next year's team has FF potential".

Please understand, I'm not trying to second guess you or anyone else (and especially not the Hall of Fame Coach Boeheim). I am just trying to get a proper perspective for my own mind. The last 2-3 years, as you very well know, we have had some big misses in terms of recruits not producing like what we expected. I could give several examples but I won't because the true intent of my post is not to point fingers or speak ill of members of our own SU family but instead, just trying to understand where this recent optimism and high hopes is coming from.

If there is anything that I get blame for on this board, it is wearing orange colored glasses and "not seeing the reality". That is why I ask these questions and have pressed a bit on my inquiry. I'll stop, because I don't think this will probably go the direction I intended.

On another note, I just came in from the garage where I watched the second half of the Duke game AGAIN (for the fourth time) and man, I love it more every time I watch it. My wife is getting royally annoyed with me because she and the rest of her family are Dook Alumns. Whatever... as for the game, Roberson was an absolute beast! I really believe that we start seeing more consistency out of him, although maybe not at that level every night. That was just sick.

We win 4 of the next 5 and we are right where we need to be. It all starts against ND on Thursday! I really like this team because we are so dangerous. We just need the opportunity to make some noise in the NCAA tourney!

Last edited:
Fair question. Keep in mind that Thompson was a kid who played at St. Anthony's, against a top flight national caliber schedule and excelled. He isn't a mid-level recruit--at all. He's had great coaching, and now he's at a prep school that also plays a national caliber schedule. This kid can play, and he can play at the highest levels of play.

I'm not suggesting that he's an NBA caliber talent--although he may well prove to be. He reminds me a lot of Rick Jackson--not suggesting that their games / style of play are similar, just that they both are guys who play fundamental basketball, are somewhat below the rim players who are fundamentally sound, etc. who make the right plays, but aren't necessarily rim rocking pogo sticks who are automatic lottery picks. I think he'd be a great addition. Maybe not a guy who starts year 1, but a guy who could easily be a multi-year starter who is a big time contributor over the course of his career.

Bigs who know how to play, can put the ball in the hole, and who have above average defensive aptitude are at a premium. He'd be a great "get" for our program. That doesn't change just because he's not a one-and-done prospect, or a guy who we might center our offense around. Just my opinion.
Another name he reminds me of, although seems more offensively inclined is Darryl Swatkins Watkins.

If you haven't seen him play, then why such a strong post like he could be the missing piece to a final four team? You stated "If Thompson can read the tee leaves here ... he'll see that with him coming on board, next year's team has FF potential".

Please understand, I'm not trying to second guess you or anyone else (and especially not the Hall of Fame Coach Boeheim). I am just trying to get a proper perspective for my own mind. The last 2-3 years, as you very well know, we have had some big misses in terms of recruits not producing like what we expected. I could give several examples but I won't because the true intent of my post is not to point fingers or speak ill of members of our own SU family but instead, just trying to understand where this recent optimism and high hopes is coming from.

If there is anything that I get blame for on this board, it is wearing orange colored glasses and "not seeing the reality". That is why I ask these questions and have pressed a bit on my inquiry. I'll stop, because I don't think this will probably go the direction I intended.

On another note, I just came in from the garage where I watched the second half of the Duke game AGAIN (for the fourth time) and man, I love it more every time I watch it. My wife is getting royally annoyed with me because she and the rest of her family are Dook Alumns. Whatever... as for the game, Roberson was (and is) and absolute beast! We win 4 of the next 5 and we are right where we need to be. It all starts against ND on Thursday! I really like this team because we are so dangerous. We just need the opportunity to make some noise in the NCAA tourney!
No worries .. it's a forum so everything's fair game -- including my assessments. I don't pretend to be a talent scout .. just a BB fan. So like many others, I rely on the staff's scouting ability (not flawless, but usually spot on), in-person observations from other fans and video clips. Again, if you want personal observations ... there are plenty in this thread. http://www.syracusefan.com/threads/pf-taurean-thompson-nj-brewster-academy-offered.92902/

The reason I'm excited about next year is ... we're loaded. True, we will definitely miss the experience and firepower in our back court (G and TC), especially early in the season. But up top, we have an elite guard coming in - Tyus Battle. MR is likely returning, probably at SG, and Howard will add depth. In the front court, we have 2 very talented players returning in Lydon and Roberson. Lydon's a matchup problem with his outside game and length inside. Roberson's a beast on the boards .. and Moyer's going to add depth here at either the 3 or 4. At the 5, Chukwu's a very exciting player with unbelievable size to anchor the post. Since DC2's still developing and recovering from 2 years off, my expectation is that he'll return.

Now -- you add a 6'10" kid who can rebound and block shots to that front court ... and it further elevates a very talented lineup. Is it a FF team .. we'll see, but the potential's there. I'm not the only one mentioning it as a possibility. Thompson would really add size and depth to a loaded front court -- which (again) is probably why JB is paying him a mid-week visit in the middle of the season.

Not trying to parse your post, but I'm wondering where you see Moyer at the college level. You mentioned "right now" (he's a 4), but do you still see him (as RF does) as a 4 in the aCC?
Also, I'm wondering about playing time on the front line not being open for him at the 4, but at the 3. s.

I don't get this line of thinking, and amazed that it keeps coming up. Do you watch our team? The 3 and the 4 are clearly interchangeable on defense, and on the offensive end pretty much the same, too. We don't usually run a high post offense, although when we do that's the four (the less mobile, bigger guy) in the high post. But the rest of the time, either forward is interchangeable.

Do you really believe Thompson is a special player or is it perhaps more that we are left with him being likely our last option for this recruiting year so fans are drinking the juice and just hoping?

Just curious - thanks.

I don't think he's another Chris McCullough, but he's the last big man in the top 100 who is uncommitted.

I don't get this line of thinking, and amazed that it keeps coming up. Do you watch our team? The 3 and the 4 are clearly interchangeable on defense, and on the offensive end pretty much the same, too. We don't usually run a high post offense, although when we do that's the four (the less mobile, bigger guy) in the high post. But the rest of the time, either forward is interchangeable.
No, I don't watch much. lol. My question was ... will Moyer be a shot-blocking forward like Chris McCullough who's big enough to rebound on the other side of the rim from the center (and run the high low), or will he be a more mobile, perimeter forward with an outside game (like MR or G before this year). Those are different skill sets and we need and use both on our team, regardless of whether our forwards generally guard the "wings" on D.

Last edited:
TT's last few games. Man, those initials look smooth. ;)

1/17
Brewster traveled to Springfield, M?assachustts to participate in the Spaulding Hoop Hall Classic on Sunday against Lakes Region League member, Vermont Academy. The Bobcats overcame a 9 point deficit to win, 94-87. Brewster was led by unsigned forward Taurean Thompson (New York, NY) with 23 points, 16 rebounds, and 6 blocks, while uncommitted guard Alpha Diallo (New York, NY) added 21 points in the victory. South Florida-bound Malik Fitts (Rancho Cucamonga, CA) chipped in 12 points, while Northwestern-bound Rapolas Ivanauskas (Barrington, IL) contributed 11 points. Colorado-signee Deleon Brown (Grand Rapids, MI) had 10 points. Brewster will travel to Boston on Monday to play Lawrence Academy at the TD Garden. Game time is 6:30pm.

1/18
The prep basketball team traveled to the TD Garden in Boston on Monday to participate in Hoop Mountain & Arc of Mass Holiday Challenge against Lawrence Academy. Brewster coasted to a 90-64 victory, while all 16 dressed players saw playing time. Brewster was led by unsigned Taurean Thompson (New York, NY) with 20 points and 9 rebounds, while Northwestern-bound Rapolas Ivanauskas (Barrington, IL) contributed 16 points and a game-high 14 rebounds. Colorado-signee Deleon Brown (Grand Rapids, MI) chipped in with 14 points. Wichita State commit CJ Keyser (Baltimore, MD) added 13 points for the Bobcats. The team enjoyed tremendous support from the Brewster Academy community, as the entire student body, faculty, and many alumni were in attendance. Brewster travels to Wilbraham & Monson on Wednesday for a 4:30pm contest.

1/20
The prep basketball team cruised to a 76-64 win over Wilbraham & Monson Academy on Wednesday. The Bobcats built a 20+ lead late in the second half, which allowed 12 players to see action in the contest. Brewster was led by Alpha Diallo (New York, NY) with 22 points and 10 rebounds, while Northwestern commit Rapolas Ivanauskas (Barrington, IL) added 13 points. Wichita State-signee CJ Keyser (Baltimore, MD) contributed 12 points and South Florida-bound Malik Fitts (Racho Cucamonga, CA) chipped in with 11 points.

1/22
The prep basketball team nearly blew a 18 point second half lead to visiting Proctor Academy, but managed to prevail, 89-81. Brewster was led by Alpha Diallo (New York, NY) with 18 points and 9 rebounds, while Taurean Thompson (New York, NY) and Deleon Brown (Grand Rapids, MI) each contributed 16 points. Malik Fitts (Rancho Cucamonga, CA) chipped in with 12 points in the victory.

1/24
CJ Keyser (Baltimore, MD) banked home a 35 footer at the buzzer to give Brewster a 81-79 victory over Northfield Mount Hermon. Brewster built a 12 point lead in the first half and went into halftime up, 45-37. In the second half, the hot-shooting Hoggers (15 for 36 from three point land) caught fire and ultimately built a 6 point lead. A balanced Brewster attack was led by Alpha Diallo (New York, NY) with 15 points, 9 rebounds, and 7 assists, while Malik Fitts (Rancho Cucamonga) contributed 14 points. Roommates Rapolas Ivanauskas (Barrington, IL) and Taurean Thompson (New York, NY) each contributed 13 points and 8 rebounds in the contest. Keyser tallied 12 points in the win.

While Thompson may not be a top 20-30 talent he appears to be a legit top 100 player and is heads and tails a better option than Kalif imo. So if those are our options for closing out this class it makes Thompson a necessity. Does this speak to what some have pointed out as a fall off in our recruiting, possibly, idk, but that may be another topic for discussion. Given the options available and the state of the program we could really use Thompson.

I don't think we are a national recruiting program anymore... This becomes a problem because I think, just like football, the best or more athletes/Big-men tend to be in the South and West these days... California, Texas, Deep South don't seem to be fertile recruiting grounds for us anymore...

I don't think we are a national recruiting program anymore... This becomes a problem because I think, just like football, the best or more athletes/Big-men tend to be in the South and West these days... California, Texas, Deep South don't seem to be fertile recruiting grounds for us anymore...
What? Tyus battle, Matt Moyer and Taurean Thompson are top 100 players. In the country... 3/3...

SU has everything in place to recruit as a national program in B-Ball. The problem is that JB chooses not to recruit like one and prefers to keep things regional with the exception of a few here and there. Hop is obviously younger and will have the motivation to expand the recruiting grounds when he takes over. Lots of talent coming out of the GA/FL area over the next few years. Would love to see Hop hire a well connected guy from those parts to go along with Red and GMac, when rounding out his staff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom