Taurean Thompson | Page 29 | Syracusefan.com

Taurean Thompson

Well thats pretty sad if his mom would disown him over where he wants to go to college. Its his decision, not hers.

Dude - I didn't mean it literally.

But yes, in the real world there are overbearing, meddlesome, or overprotective parents who try to micromanage their kids' lives - and who get pretty bent when their kids don't do as they might want.

None of us actually know for sure why he hasn't made his decision yet.
It's all just speculation.

Dude - I didn't mean it literally.

But yes, in the real world there are overbearing, meddlesome, or overprotective parents who try to micromanage their kids' lives - and who get pretty bent when their kids don't do as they might want.

None of us actually know for sure why he hasn't made his decision yet.
It's all just speculation.

Of course there are, my Mom is kind of like that too, but she wouldn't have stood in my way. My mom didn't want me going to Syracuse, it was my dream school at the time, but she told me if I wanted to go there, she would support my decision. At the end of the day it was moot, because I was waitlisted, but you see my point.

Mom has her reasons for being reluctant, why make her out to be the bad guy here? She is probably doing her due diligence which a parent should do...
This is way past DD. It's been over a year. About 97 of the top 100 are committed. I've tried to be very patient with this process .. as it is a big decision for a family to make. But it seems like the recruits' mind was made up months ago .. he's been here several times. His list, FWIW, is down to 3. So we'll see very soon how this goes. But I think most observers who've followed this recruitment agree that it's been a bit of a circus.

Gee, thanks for the Buzzkill.
I think that fact would have been reported by this time. I will say this,however,"Something issuing on thats not evident. The thing is ,its not just Turean. There is a large number of "prospects who say they like the Orange and yet not making the commitment, Something either unknown or unspoken is holding up the activity that should be happening by now. ITs NOT the kids taking their time to make a big decision. That ship has sailed.

I'd rather get another scorer. Thompson doesn't help with that.

Couldn't disagree more.

After this coming season, Lydon will most likely go pro, Coleman and Roberson will graduating. Chino left. We are left with Moyer and Chukwu. We need Thompson for depth especially after this coming season. By all accounts he has a fairly advanced offensive skillset for a big man, and is active on defense. 6'10' can play PF or C. Offered by Michigan State, Izzo knows big man talent.
We'll score with Gillon, Battle, Lydon, Roberson and Coleman. I expect those 5 to have big years, and I like Howard's playmaking ability to set those guys up. Chukwu 7'2 finishing any misses around the rim is icing on the cake.

Couldn't disagree more.

After this coming season, Lydon will most likely go pro, Coleman and Roberson will graduating. Chino left. We are left with Moyer and Chukwu. We need Thompson for depth especially after this coming season. By all accounts he has a fairly advanced offensive skillset for a big man, and is active on defense. 6'10' can play PF or C. Offered by Michigan State, Izzo knows big man talent.
We'll score with Gillon, Battle, Lydon, Roberson and Coleman. I expect those 5 to have big years, and I like Howard's playmaking ability to set those guys up. Chukwu 7'2 finishing any misses around the rim is icing on the cake.

I'll take it a step further. I think the fanbase has overrated Thompson as a recruit incredibly. Even if everything you mention happens, we still will have Chukwu and Moyer in the frontcourt next year. That's a solid base to start with for 17-18. Would it be nice to have Thompson? Yes, but he is not make or break for 16-17.

The team as it's currently constructed needs shooting next year. I like Gillon, but he shot 33% in a mid major conference from three. Howard can't shoot at all, and Battle while an elite level athlete and driver, shooting is not his strong point.

Maybe Lydon makes a huge jump and has a Wes Johnson type season and my points are mute, but I don't see how we are successful offensively next year unless we have one more shooter. The way the team is constructed now, you will have 2 non scorers on the court basically at all times. That's not going to get it done if we want to be one of the top teams in the ACC.

Last edited:
I'll take it a step further. I think the fanbase has overrated Thompson as a recruit incredibly. Even if everything you mention happens, we still will have Chukwu and Moyer in the frontcourt next year. That's a solid base to start with for 17-18. Would it be nice to have Thompson? Yes, but he is not make or break for 16-17.

The team as it's currently constructed needs shooting next year. I like Gillon, but he shot 33% in a mid major conference from three. Howard can't shoot at all, and Battle while an elite level athlete and driver, shooting is not his strong point.

Maybe Lydon makes a huge jump and has a Wes Johnson type season and my points are mute, but I don't see how we are successful offensively next year unless we have one more shooter. The way the team is constructed now, you will have 2 non scorers on the court basically at all times. That's not going to get it done if we want to be one of the top teams in the ACC.

Guillon shot close to 40% the prior 2 years and is over an 80% shooter from the line. I think he can shoot pretty well.

Malachi staying in the NBA really creates some questions offensively next year. BOL to him and it's exciting to see what the new team will look like. But replacing 65% of our offense isn't going to be easy or pretty. We all love Lydon, and no doubt we'll get more from him than 10 ppg. We'll have to. Battle, sure, amazing talent. But even if those guys light it up at 15 ppg .. that's 30 points. Where's the other 40+ going to come from?

This is why players like Gillon and the next couple we sign are so important. I'd love to have one more shooter and a big or two, especially a big that can generate some interior offense to balance us out. The Turk fits the bill there, if he signs and qualifies. I think TT would fit in also since he has some offensive ability. I like that combination (Turk and TT) because the Turk would probably be a one and done and TT might need 2 seasons to hit his stride.

Just my .02 after all the tumult recently.

Guillon shot close to 40% the prior 2 years and is over an 80% shooter from the line. I think he can shoot pretty well.

I'm sure he's decent, but we lose 262 three pointers made and 44ppg from this years team that was middle of the road ACC. Gillon and Battle can replace two of Mal, Cooney and G? Sure. Will Lydon be better. Sure.

With Roberson/DC/Chukwu in the game with Howard I see us having a lot of trouble scoring. Everyone assumed we are going to compete at the top of the ACC next year, I just don't see it unless Lydon or Battle play at superstar levels.

Here is the scoring situation. Likely returning players are in red (25.4 ppg):

G: 17.5
TC: 12.9
MR: 13.4
TL: 10.1
TR: 8.8
DC: 4.9
FH: 1.6

This means that, to get to at least 70 ppg (not stellar, but average of late), we'll need 44.6 ppg from some combination of increased scoring by the returning players or points from 3-4 incoming players brand new to the league. Makes you sit back in your seat.

Last edited:
I'm sure he's decent, but we lose 262 three pointers made and 44ppg from this years team that was middle of the road ACC. Gillon and Battle can replace two of Mal, Cooney and G? Sure. Will Lydon be better. Sure.

With Roberson/DC/Chukwu in the game with Howard I see us having a lot of trouble scoring. Everyone assumed we are going to compete at the top of the ACC next year, I just don't see it unless Lydon or Battle play at superstar levels.

That's fair, I just think his 3 point % is probably underrating how he's gonna shoot next year.

Assuming we lose Mal, I think we won't be at the top of the conference next year unless we get the Turkish dude and he is cleared.

That's fair, I just think his 3 point % is probably underrating how he's gonna shoot next year.

Assuming we lose Mal, I think we won't be at the top of the conference next year unless we get the Turkish dude and he is cleared.

I might be undervaluing Gillon. He should have an easier time not being the lead dog like he was last year for his team.

It's just a frustrating situation because we are stuck in this middle ground and we will most likely still be in the same spot at the end of next year when Battle and Lydon most likely bolt.

We need Roberson and Howard to improve a lot if we are going to be any kind of good.

It's just a frustrating situation because we are stuck in this middle ground and we will most likely still be in the same spot at the end of next year when Battle and Lydon most likely bolt.
But that's just the beauty of it. We made the final four and we are like a revolving door every year it seems. The price you pay for greatness! I will take a FF and loss of a Mali-type stud every single year. Same thing could happen this year and next. I love it. We shocked the world. Even ourselves. ;)

I might be undervaluing Gillon. He should have an easier time not being the lead dog like he was last year for his team.

We need Roberson and Howard to improve a lot if we are going to be any kind of good.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Gillon be a ~15 ppg scorer for us, without having to be the top dog.

If mali goes, I'd expect Lydon, Battle, and Gillon to be double digit scorers. Roberson could certainly achieve that, as well. He averaged about 8ppg this year. If he takes it up a notch as a senior, 13 or more isn't out of the question.

I don't see consistent scoring coming from Howard, Coleman, or Chukwu. But if one or more of them can provide it--disco.

I could also see the press being utilized more with Chukwu patrolling the back end, potentially leading to more / easier scoring opportunities in transition -- moreso than last year.

Even without Mali, the nucleus is there for this to be a very good team--but there are a lot of question marks. With Mali, they would have a lot fewer question marks, and another dangerous scorer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom