Class of 2016 - PG Alterique Gilbert (GA) Verballed to UConn | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 PG Alterique Gilbert (GA) Verballed to UConn

My guess is Battle is #1, 1A, and 1B. If they get another guard besides him or including him it is Huerter.

Interview with Gilbert on S___t today. Some highlights:

Has a final 5 of SU, UConn, Louisville, Texas, Illinois.
Calls Syracuse his dream school but they have not been in touch with him lately. (huh? maybe due to Battle?)
Plans to make a decision by late August.
Looking for opportunity to play right away, academics of school, program history, a winning program.

According to the writer, Gilbert may have been the quickest guard at the NBAPA 100 camp. Other guards had trouble trying to stay in front of him.

Can't neglect this kid while Battle dithers. This kid is gonna be a good one.

Uconn and Louisville are going after him the hardest.

Uconn and Louisville are going after him the hardest.

Without a doubt, he is Ollie's #1 target and I thought we were in great shape but UofL is making a strong push. Coin flip at this point.

I'm a bit surprised SU seemingly didn't push harder. Mabye Battle is a done deal.

Without a doubt, he is Ollie's #1 target and I thought we were in great shape but UofL is making a strong push. Coin flip at this point.

I'm a bit surprised SU seemingly didn't push harder. Mabye Battle is a done deal.
Obvious that jb and staff like Battle a great deal more. Time will tell if that was wise.

Obvious that jb and staff like Battle a great deal more. Time will tell if that was wise.

Or think they have a better relationship/shot with Battle.

Recruiting is a funny thing.

We like big PGs at the top of the zone- especially these last few years.
As long as that's our primary D, we'll always gravitate towards the bigger guards. That's one reason the quicker little guards from UL and UCONN have given us fits over the years. It's a "system" thing- for better or worse.

Interview with Gilbert on S___t today. Some highlights:

Has a final 5 of SU, UConn, Louisville, Texas, Illinois.
Calls Syracuse his dream school but they have not been in touch with him lately. (huh? maybe due to Battle?)
Plans to make a decision by late August.
Looking for opportunity to play right away, academics of school, program history, a winning program.

According to the writer, Gilbert may have been the quickest guard at the NBAPA 100 camp. Other guards had trouble trying to stay in front of him.

Can't neglect this kid while Battle dithers. This kid is gonna be a good one.

"they have not been in touch lately" is a recurring theme the past few years. Not good.

"they have not been in touch lately" is a recurring theme the past few years. Not good.
Maybe I'm wrong, but on the basketball side the only other recruit of note I remember hearing this about is Bryant. Definitely on the football side though.

Maybe I'm wrong, but on the basketball side the only other recruit of note I remember hearing this about is Bryant. Definitely on the football side though.

I do a lot more reading than hearing, maybe I'm wrong.

I do a lot more reading than hearing, maybe I'm wrong.

No disrespect intended, but what is this theme that you speak besides Bryant which probably had good reasons? I for one, trust that Boeheim and company know what they are doing. I also believe that we are finally going to get some good news soon, which we haven't had in a while.

It seems obvious to me that with Tyus Battle showing no sign of committing to SU anytime soon, or at all perhaps. That now the time has come to get in the game with Alterique Gilbert on a more aggressive level. No disrespect to Tyus battle, but his twitter still has him as a Michigan Commit.

I think we can take this as a sign that no, he's not going to be coming to SU.

I think Lville is the choice here. Hoping I'm right...

THere was rumbling this morning that he would decide tomorrow for UConn.

Ollie also seems to be back in the Battle picture. Who knows?

sdhusky said:
THere was rumbling this morning that he would decide tomorrow for UConn. Ollie also seems to be back in the Battle picture. Who knows?

Head case.

THere was rumbling this morning that he would decide tomorrow for UConn.

Ollie also seems to be back in the Battle picture. Who knows?

I love that you are getting your hopes up, only to soon have them dashed uconn the rocks.

Oops--I meant "upon."

Last edited:
It's Lville! Who wants to play 16-18 in the AAC?

I think we can take this as a sign that no, he's not going to be coming to SU.
Yep. Staff must have prioritized Chucky over Gilbert. Or maybe they knew he was headed elsewhere before Chucky's visit.