Class of 2019 - PG Dakota Leffew (GA) Portal to Georgia | Page 59 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PG Dakota Leffew (GA) Portal to Georgia

Wonder if having Coach Dan here makes any difference. If that is why he gave us a visit. I know some may not agree with this take but I think it’s a bit telling if he chooses somewhere else but here.

I know loyalty is out the window these days but I guess if he refuses a big school like ours with his former head coach we need to find better closers.

Just realized his former teammate De’Shayne Montgomery also committed to Georgia a few days ago. We may be in trouble here.

We worry about NIL. I read a report out of Minnesota that their entire NIL budget for basketball is $1 million. I’m sure that’s a big reason they couldn’t hang on to Payne.

We worry about NIL. I read a report out of Minnesota that their entire NIL budget for basketball is $1 million. I’m sure that’s a big reason they couldn’t hang on to Payne.
yep schools like MN and Wisc are way behind

There is no way in hell that all of our eggs are in the Leffew basket. Red has contingency plans. To assume that he doesn’t is insulting.

Now we may not like them because of our budget restrictions but to think the staff is just praying for Leffew and not talking to other guys in the background is crazy.

I guess it is just semantics, saying we are putting all our eggs on the Leffew basket gets a firm rebuke, but saying we we are waiting on Leffew seems to be accepted.

I have no idea why you wait on a guy taking 3 more visits. Syracuse currently has no true point guard on the roster, I would have thought the opportunity to be the starting pg a Syracuse would be more coveted, but in the NIL world if you can’t pay top dollar, you don’t get top talent.

I hope the strategy pays off.

I guess it is just semantics, saying we are putting all our eggs on the Leffew basket gets a firm rebuke, but saying we we are waiting on Leffew seems to be accepted.

I have no idea why you wait on a guy taking 3 more visits. Syracuse currently has no true point guard on the roster, I would have thought the opportunity to be the starting pg a Syracuse would be more coveted, but in the NIL world if you can’t pay top dollar, you don’t get top talent.

I hope the strategy pays off.

Perhaps because there are back up plans that are willing to wait as well. Remember in recruiting for every thing we read about here there are another 25 things going on that we don't see here. (at least)

yep schools like MN and Wisc are way behind
Was wondering what was going on at Wisconsin. Gard seems to be taking a lot of heat. I suppose there they just focus on football and he has to make chicken salad out of chicken sht.

Some people are worried about the players budget and how much overall nil money Syracuse basketball has for the program without knowing how much they have exactly. Yet are making claims that moneys tight. Step away from the ledge.

Perhaps because there are back up plans that are willing to wait as well. Remember in recruiting for every thing we read about here there are another 25 things going on that we don't see here. (at least)

Translation: even lower rated players.

Perhaps my expectations are just out of wack. still trying to adjust to this new reality of college basketball.

I'm not a boomer but I get your point. Some of these lower league guys weren't highly sought coming out of high school which makes it sort of a once in a lifetime opportunity. Some of them are looking at $$ and getting their after school lives off to a great start. Tons of reasons for kids to let the process play out. Other kids know where they want to go and have a bag sorted out before they get there.

Still I believe the situation here is that Dakota is our number one choice at a certain number. We are his number 1 choice but he thinks the number should be bigger. We will see how it plays out. I don't think its only about money though as Nova offered more and he hasn't committed to them. I feel like we are still in a good position like 55% at the very least a chance to match whatever Georgia offers.

I would expect to see someone else schedule a visit if Dakota doesn't commit to SU by tomorrow evening.
I just totally understand why he would want to take every visit because i assume theyre a good time

Some people are worried about the players budget and how much overall nil money Syracuse basketball has for the program without knowing how much they have exactly. Yet are making claims that moneys tight. Step away from the ledge.
we haven’t really been linked at all to any high price guys other than Mack (who we didn’t pay for). And now it appears Lafeww may be seeking more money despite him wanting ti play here.

Maybe the higher price guys are the wrong fit, and maybe he feels Lafeww isn’t worth the price tag (both could be valid reasons). But from the outside, without knowing how much NIL we have, it just appears that we may have much money as we need.

I trust Red. I like the Lampkin and Davis additions. We have time to fill
Out the roster but i understand the skepticism unless there’s another portal PG that hasn’t entered yet

What if it's not so much our budget, but we aren't desperate enough to go above a certain number for this guy?
I think missing the NCAA tournament 3 consecutive years should make us pretty desperate.

we haven’t really been linked at all to any high price guys other than Mack (who we didn’t pay for). And now it appears Lafeww may be seeking more money despite him wanting ti play here.

Maybe the higher price guys are the wrong fit, and maybe he feels Lafeww isn’t worth the price tag (both could be valid reasons). But from the outside, without knowing how much NIL we have, it just appears that we may have much money as we need.

Out the roster but i understand the skepticism unless there’s another portal PG that hasn’t entered yet
What price are these “high priced guys” getting? It’s mostly hearsay.We don’t know the level of interest the staff has for anyone really that hasn’t been made public so im not going to pretend i have information on their interest in players when only the staff is privy to the type of character and skill set they are looking for in a player to bring in.

What price are these “high priced guys” getting? It’s mostly hearsay.We don’t know the level of interest the staff has for anyone really that hasn’t been made public so im not going to pretend i have information on their interest in players when only the staff is privy to the type of character and skill set they are looking for in a player to bring in.

Someone on the internet reported Roach was getting offered 1.2mil, he responded with "I wish". A lot of the NIL numbers are inflated by the time we hear about them. That doesn't answer the SU NIL question. For basketball I think we are ok or we wouldn't be bringing in a Burger Boy. I think we could and should be in a better NIL situation though. Two different NIL questions in my mind. What is our year to year rolling budget? What ability to we have to splurge outside that budget?

Was wondering what was going on at Wisconsin. Gard seems to be taking a lot of heat. I suppose there they just focus on football and he has to make chicken salad out of chicken sht.
I’ve said it multiple times here but I have a weird college affiliation because a lot of my moms family is from South Carolina and ive had multiple family members play for Clemson football (most recently and notable ben boulware) so I’m a Clemson football fan. But as a 90s kid born and raised in New York and my dad being a huge Syracuse fan, Knicks fan, etc I grew up watching and love cuse ball. Life has gotten weird with conference alignment that’s for sure but my point of saying this was that I wish we could just get to the point where football would be completely separate from the rest of the college athletics ecosystem.

It’s also hard to say because the position and need we have is very specific and something that EVERYONE is always looking for. Lead guards that can shoot the ball dont grow on trees. There’s a reason there’s been minimal people weve talked about here, and that’s why so many are combo guards.