Class of 2019 - PG Dakota Leffew (GA) Portal to Georgia | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PG Dakota Leffew (GA) Portal to Georgia

Ridiculous. Okay, we don't get him. Who do we get that is better if reynolds isn't available and the Hardvard kid is living in dream land? The coaches have watched a ton of film on these guys. This isn't last year. How good he will make us is a legit question. But he isn't going anywhere to be a back up. It is clear that the staff (Red) is after toughness this year. I have to say, I approve of that.
Have you heard anything on how serious they are looking at BJ Freeman?

To be honest everyone is talking about all these portal players seems like the quality isn’t there this year

1712408965445.jpeg

Portal is still open for several more weeks.

Who knows how many more names will enter?

Some may be surprising.

And typically the most surprising ones already have their landing spot lined up before they even announce they’re entering the portal.

Kid kinda reminds me of MCW a bit in some of these highlights.
In what way? He is not nearly as explosive. Does not have the instincts defensively. Maybe his average 3-pt. shooting and skinny frame, along with his skin tone? Doesn't remind me of MCW at all.

I just watched the Mount St. Mary's-Saint Peter's game.

I am very worried that our coaching staff is looking at box score numbers and watching highlights. Not impressed.
This is quite an accusation. They may get it wrong - talent evaluation is tough - but they aren’t just looking at box scores, c’mon.

In what way? He is not nearly as explosive. Does not have the instincts defensively. Maybe his average 3-pt. shooting and skinny frame, along with his skin tone? Doesn't remind me of MCW at all.
He’s an above average shooter. This isn’t fair. I preferred others, but it’s not like this guy isn’t coveted by other majors.

I am worried. That's all. Really not sure about this one.

Watch tape on the other PG options-

I’d be more worried with a number of them ranked higher than Leffew. McDaniel is a big no- Pegues and Gillespie are already off the table- Mack is way overpriced and still a high usage sophomore from the Ivy - Pope is even more shoot first and only 6-2.. Clark to UCLA and is overrated.. Pedulla is good but small and has regressed some.. the perfect fit isn’t there.

Unfortunately the best playmaker out there that isn’t asking for too much is either not yet portaled or on the roster and needs to be healthy next year. Thus gotta fill the roster with guys who move the ball, rebound and will buy in paired with the scoring talent we bring back/in

That’s just a crazy comment to make. Did you watch any other games and what are you concerned about?
He wasn't the point guard for half of the minutes he was out on the court. Another kid on the MSM team brought the ball up with pressure. He played off guard.

He is not a typical point guard. He is a combo guard. Everyone is clamoring for a PG, and he isn't that. His handle and slight build also have me worried about how he will hold up against much stronger competition.

Again, I am just worried. He isn't a bad player. Just think we shouldn't settle given how important this position is.

He wasn't the point guard for half of the minutes he was out on the court. Another kid on the MSM team brought the ball up with pressure. He played off guard.

He is not a typical point guard. He is a combo guard. Everyone is clamoring for a PG, and he isn't that. His handle and slight build also have me worried about how he will hold up against much stronger competition.

Again, I am just worried. He isn't a bad player. Just think we shouldn't settle given how important this position is.
The staff must think he has a good handle or they wouldn’t be interested in him. He is 6’5” and a pretty good shooter and that is likely why he didn’t play point all the time

Magic Johnson ain’t walking in that door.

Watch tape on the other PG options-

I’d be more worried with a number of them ranked higher than Leffew. McDaniel is a big no- Pegues and Gillespie are already off the table- Mack is way overpriced and still a high usage sophomore from the Ivy - Pope is even more shoot first and only 6-2.. Clark to UCLA and is overrated.. Pedulla is good but small and has regressed some.. the perfect fit isn’t there.

Unfortunately the best playmaker out there that isn’t asking for too much is either not yet portaled or on the roster and needs to be healthy next year. Thus gotta fill the roster with guys who move the ball, rebound and will buy in paired with the scoring talent we bring back/in
That's fair. Not a lot of great options out there that we're after. Either need to be more patient and wait, with no guarantees, or get someone that may or may not be good enough. Makes it all that much more important that the returners (Starling, Westry, Bell) improve and take a big step forward next year. I think they all can.

Need to get a point guard that we recruit and retain.

Magic Johnson ain’t walking in that door.
Too much attention to when he has the ball. Concerned he will give up as much as he generates on offense. Lacks high end athleticism to defend ACC guards. Not exactly a “dog” on D is he?
I’d take a Roddy Gayle or the Oregon Stste guy even with their shortcomings.

I watched 6 of his games so far including the SP game. MSM did share responsibilities in initiating the offense to your point. His handle looks fine to me the only time he got in trouble is trying to do too much when it wasn’t necessary. A number of his turnovers were bad hands by teammates and some not paying attention.

His handle and handling of PG responsibilities improved if you watch games from the beginning to the end of the year.

Defensively he actually impressed me more than expected. He has quick hands and moves well and is quick to recognize and communicate on the switch. His vision is good too and probably could have averaged high 4s assist wise based on some of the dropped passes I saw in the games I watched. He also has the ability to use his length to block shots and is solid on close outs. He’s technically in his third year due to losing most of his freshman year to injury.

There is room to improve here to maximize potential but absolutely some risk too. You can see a lot of what the staff sees for sure. His game is very Gbinije like to me having watched more games. Get him on campus and working with staff and current roster, get a summer tour going and it could work out well.

One last note- I hope we don’t rely on one guy bringing the ball up too- no more pounding it from the who is running the point. Get the ball moving and get into our offense quickly, get paint touches and let our PG make plays when necessary but not rely on iso ball to make those plays.

That's fair. Not a lot of great options out there that we're after. Either need to be more patient and wait, with no guarantees, or get someone that may or may not be good enough. Makes it all that much more important that the returners (Starling, Westry, Bell) improve and take a big step forward next year. I think they all can.

Need to get a point guard that we recruit and retain.

Last statement is key- this year is important but the ‘25 class is massively important

Too much attention to when he has the ball. Concerned he will give up as much as he generates on offense. Lacks high end athleticism to defend ACC guards. Not exactly a “dog” on D is he?
We have to go back to the 2-3 with him at the top.

Some people act like this is a high school PE class where everyone lines up against the wall and someone gets first pick. SU doesn’t get first pick. You can’t just pick and choose.
Yeah, that's why I think the people that want to go portal only are nuts. Who knows what talent will be there, and if whether the talent you like likes you back.

Just a lot more consistent options in the high school ranks to build a roster and program with. Sure, maybe instead of reasonably expecting a guy to stick for 3 or 4 years you probably only expect 2, but still.

Disagree having watched multiple games. D looked good and he doesn’t over play using his length well
despite defending his share of quick guards in that league. We had plenty of athleticism on D this year and that athleticism gambled its way to giving up way too many easy buckets. I want smart heady players that defend with purpose vs just hunting for steals.

If he plays with effort on defense he will be fine. Guys whose effort and consistency can be sound defensive players. When you don’t try is when there’s a problem.