Class of 2019 - PG Dakota Leffew (GA) Portal to Georgia | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PG Dakota Leffew (GA) Portal to Georgia

Exactly, you gotta be kidding me, they are coaches, not morons like us on a fan site
Awkward Jesse Pinkman GIF by Breaking Bad

Assuming we get Davis, I would prefer Jaquan Carlos. Just think a pass first PG would fit in better with all the scorers we will have on the team.

But this kid would IMHO be an upgrade at PG from last season. I would be on board if this happens.

Is it possible to take both? Is Jaquan Carlos getting a lot of attention in the portal? What he come like Davis into a back up role.

If we got Davis and added both Carlos and Leffew that might be a solid PG rotation.

Is it possible to take both? Is Jaquan Carlos getting a lot of attention in the portal? What he come like Davis into a back up role.

If we got Davis and added both Carlos and Leffew that might be a solid PG rotation.
That would be great but Carlos is a starter at Hofstra. There are going to be schools that can offer him a starting role and if I were him, I would eliminate schools that expected me to come off the bench.

I think this is why we are looking at 2024 PGs. We want another PG on the roster and it almost surely needs to be a frosh who is willing to be a backup and learn the system his first year.

That would be great but Carlos is a starter at Hofstra. There are going to be schools that can offer him a starting role and if I were him, I would eliminate schools that expected me to come off the bench.

I think this is why we are looking at 2024 PGs. We want another PG on the roster and it almost surely needs to be a frosh who is willing to be a backup and learn the system his first year.

Cant imagine there are many if any higher ranked 2024 PGs still on the market. If I remember correctly Louisville had a decent 3 star kid from NJ who recently decommitted.

Not to mention with Chance still here and the possibility he could be healthy - he can play the point just as he can as a backup 3. As for 2024 PGs outside of the Florida kid whose more a warm body at this point have there been others on our radar?

View attachment 239656

Portal is still open for several more weeks.

Who knows how many more names will enter?

Some may be surprising.

And typically the most surprising ones already have their landing spot lined up before they even announce they’re entering the portal.
I get that but I’m pretty. Sure the bigger players are going to request crazy amounts of money that we won’t pay so

He wasn't the point guard for half of the minutes he was out on the court. Another kid on the MSM team brought the ball up with pressure. He played off guard.

He is not a typical point guard. He is a combo guard. Everyone is clamoring for a PG, and he isn't that. His handle and slight build also have me worried about how he will hold up against much stronger competition.

Again, I am just worried. He isn't a bad player. Just think we shouldn't settle given how important this position is.
Reasonable to be worried about the player. Not reasonable to think the staff hasn't/won't do due diligence.

He’s an above average shooter. This isn’t fair. I preferred others, but it’s not like this guy isn’t coveted by other majors.
I am kinda curious if the other schools that are interested are pursuing him to play PG. The Athletic for example has him listed as a wing (which is what he has been every year up until this one when injuries forced him to handle the ball more).

Agree he seems to be an above average shooter.

I am worried. That's all. Really not sure about this one.
The staff has piled over film. You may disagree with them. But let's be honest. They know a lot more about the game than you and me. And if this is the kid they believe in, I have to go with them. And other big name schools are after the kid. I wanted Reynolds badly. If it is this kid, I'm on board.

I am kinda curious if the other schools that are interested are pursuing him to play PG. The Athletic for example has him listed as a wing (which is what he has been every year up until this one when injuries forced him to handle the ball more).

Agree he seems to be an above average shooter.
Probably as a 2 I would assume. I could see us being the favorite if we told him he would be the lead ball handler. Not a choice I would make as a coach, but I don’t get paid 7 figures for this analysis.

Last edited:
The staff has piled over film. You may disagree with them. But let's be honest. They know a lot more about the game than you and me. And if this is the kid they believe in, I have to go with them. And other big name schools are after the kid. I wanted Reynolds badly. If it is this kid, I'm on board.
Hold on, you think they know more than all of us? Next, you'll tell us that they treat this like it's their job and it is crucial to their career success.

Either Red and his staff will do a good job in the transfer portal or they won’t be here after a handful of seasons. Personally, after what was accomplished last year with the cast of characters we had I’m pretty excited to see what can be accomplished this year with guys that Red prefers.

Mount St. Mary's to Syracuse.

That is an enormous jump. Can someone please find a similar situation where a kid from the #25 ranked conference ended up being a huge contributing factor (30+ mpg) for an NCAA at-large caliber team?
Lol, off the top of my head, the Michigan State PG came from Northeastern. How about Dalton Knecht from Tennessee (formerly Northern Colorado)? He was one of the best players in college basketball all season. Grant Nelson, the center from Alabama (formerly North Dakota) who’s playing tonight in the Final Four. There are literally former mid major guys on every team who have made similar leaps. Will he score 20ppg? Probably not. But we don’t need him to.