Class of 2019 - PG Dakota Leffew (GA) Portal to Georgia | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PG Dakota Leffew (GA) Portal to Georgia

I think you guys are looking at this backwards. I'm guessing Red got involved with Leffew because he was already talking to Coach Engelstad. Red knew he would need to fill a vacancy well before the news was posted here.
Engelstad must also have VERY HIGH confidence that Leffew will do well, right?

so I take it as a good sign that Leffew is going to do well in p5

It's been an interesting week. There were a bunch of posts saying, "Why don't we get experienced portal guys from smaller schools instead of P5 bench guys." Now, "Why aren't we getting guys from P5 schools?"

Absolutely! I am officially on the "experienced lower league guys" over P5 guys who were bench players or injured. I am not overwhelmed by 2 out of the 3 guys, to be honest. I like the center. The other guys don't super impress me. We still need a slasher / 3 point shooter to play SG/SF. Gayle or Rooths, and I would be ok.

No link and I almost worded it differently. I was paraphrasing.
Ok, let me re-word.

Can you link a post with similar verbiage that is suggesting we should be going after P5 players?

I honestly haven't seen one, but I could have missed it.

So here is my final thought on Mack. Syracuse stayed in it and has shown they can be in a position to compete monetarily. I don’t think they have unlimited funds and Mack began to cost more than he is actually worth. Dickinson was the best player in the portal and Kansas did nothing.
Basketball is a team sport and a GOOD point makes it better but the value of Leffew is stronger considering the monetary cost.

So here is my final thought on Mack. Syracuse stayed in it and has shown they can be in a position to compete monetarily. I don’t think they have unlimited funds and Mack began to cost more than he is actually worth. Dickinson was the best player in the portal and Kansas did nothing.
Basketball is a team sport and a GOOD point makes it better but the value of Leffew is stronger considering the monetary cost.

Just like Fantasy Football. There's a budget. You can blow too much of it on stars, and not have enough to build out a full roster. Just look at these NBA "Super Teams", 2 or 3 stars on crazy deals, and ten other guys on veteran's minimums, rookie contracts, 2 way deals or midlevel exceptions.

I really like the center. I respect that the F plays inside the arc and does the things well that Chris is weak at, but I would have liked a guy who was more of a slasher / shooter, rather than more of a PF type. We need that, but we also need more flair aside from just Chris Bell on the wing. You can't count on Westry's health, so you need one more body - Gayle, Rooths, or somebody else.

Just like Fantasy Football. There's a budget. You can blow too much of it on stars, and not have enough to build out a full roster. Just look at these NBA "Super Teams", 2 or 3 stars on crazy deals, and ten other guys on veteran's minimums, rookie contracts, 2 way deals or midlevel exceptions.
I think it's fair to note this was the same general tone we received last year about Jesse...when he turned out to be the main piece we needed this year.

But I understand the general concept and agree with you

It's been an interesting week. There were a bunch of posts saying, "Why don't we get experienced portal guys from smaller schools instead of P5 bench guys." Now, "Why aren't we getting guys from P5 schools?"
"You Can't please everybody, so you've got to please yourself"

I think it's fair to note this was the same general tone we received last year about Jesse...when he turned out to be the main piece we needed this year.

But I understand the general concept and agree with you
They were caught off guard with Jesse last year. Didn’t expect him to get that much and they were still navigating international aspect. That’s not the case now. Georgetown is looking to become competitive and is sitting on money. I am sure there are other schools doing the same.
IMO this is a choice of adding MULTIPLE good older players and not starting with a negative balance fund wise for next year.

Absolutely! I am officially on the "experienced lower league guys" over P5 guys who were bench players or injured. I am not overwhelmed by 2 out of the 3 guys, to be honest. I like the center. The other guys don't super impress me. We still need a slasher / 3 point shooter to play SG/SF. Gayle or Rooths, and I would be ok.
there are also a bunch of P5 players who put up stats in the portal too...its not like all of the p5 players in the portal were rejecteby their former teams

but I agree that lower league players over p5 busts is probably a better bet

Aside from all the Pepe Lepieu jokes I am too lazy to sift through...
Le Ffew
Le Proud
Le Marines
1712798119350.jpeg

Ok, let me re-word.

Can you link a post with similar verbiage that is suggesting we should be going after P5 players?

I honestly haven't seen one, but I could have missed it.
I'm not going to search, but there were posts alluding to getting experienced players from smaller schools with strong stats. We appear to be on the verge of getting as many as three of those guys this week.

Here is my edited version: "It's been an interesting week. There were a bunch of posts saying, "Why don't we get experienced portal guys from smaller schools instead of P5 bench guys." Now, "Why aren't we getting guys from P5 schools better portal players?"

I'm not going to search, but there were posts alluding to getting experienced players from smaller schools with strong stats. We appear to be on the verge of getting as many as three of those guys this week.

Here is my edited version: "It's been an interesting week. There were a bunch of posts saying, "Why don't we get experienced portal guys from smaller schools instead of P5 bench guys." Now, "Why aren't we getting guys from P5 schools better portal players?"

That was me. I was beating that drum back in February and March, when I put together 2 or 3 lists of the kinds of guys I'd like to see us target. This was well before the portal opened.
People thought it was a stupid exercise, but I enjoyed looking for guys I thought might fit our needs.

Yeah the only reason I make a stink is as we saw with the JG3 “not belonging” saga. When you say the board says something enough, it becomes truth. So I’m just going to start pointing out when that’s not the case so we can’t retcon these scenarios.

Nothing personal against you. Always love your posts.

And I was one that want the smaller school guys over P5 bench guys. Still do

Yeah the only reason I make a stink is as we saw with the JG3 “not belonging” saga. When you say the board says something enough, it becomes truth. So I’m just going to start pointing out when that’s not the case so we can’t retcon these scenarios.

Nothing personal against you. Always love your posts.

And I was one that want the smaller school guys over P5 bench guys. Still do
That's how I feel about the "everyone hated JG3" posts, so I get it.