Class of 2019 - PG Dakota Leffew (GA) Portal to Georgia | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PG Dakota Leffew (GA) Portal to Georgia

If he goes there he’ll get smoked by Malik twice instead of once if the comes to Cuse. Do it.

If he comes here, i won't be mad. If he doesn't, i won't be mad. Whatever child or young adult that wants to come to Syracuse University and play basketball and earn a degree, I will support.

We will have a fine team that is well coached and ill sleep very well. Just trying to bring down the suspense and prevent heart attacks of my fellow orange fans.

I mean come on, we will be fine.
Now, I agree with the dont get mad part about where a teenager chooses to go to college, but no. we will not be fine. We havent been fine for pushing ten years now. We are NOT fine until proven otherwise.

Even if we get this kid, that in and of itself does not make us fine.

Cuse will be fine at PG if Red just goes to Fran and tells him they need a PG. I'm sure he can land the basketball team a lead guard.

Such a difference in approach between Fran and Red. The former takes a moribund program and from day one recruits coast to coast. No fear of any program or conference. He goes all in on the trappings with the show in the Dome for visitors etc. results are incredible. He’s remade the roster and created amazing buzz nationally. For Syracuse!
The latter, we are window shopping at Dollar City and worried we can’t afford it. Amazing and not in a good way. Belief without evidence Dino would say.

I'm just saying the photo looks like Nova
1713281696907.gif

Such a difference in approach between Fran and Red. The former takes a moribund program and from day one recruits coast to coast. No fear of any program or conference. He goes all in on the trappings with the show in the Dome for visitors etc. results are incredible. He’s remade the roster and created amazing buzz nationally. For Syracuse!
The latter, we are window shopping at Dollar City and worried we can’t afford it. Amazing and not in a good way. Belief without evidence Dino would say.

Good lord- you and 181 should buy an island together

It's strange that we seem to have a chance with former 4 and 5* football players out of the portal from schools like Georgia, Alabama and A&M, but we have no shot and aren't even in the discussion with the big basketball transfers?

Have any of us watched full game tape on him? He’s absolutely not a pg. Doesn’t even want the ball in his hands for many dribbles. We really need a true pg. Also looks to be heavy footed on defense.

Have you not read through the thread- watched 10 of his games. Both start of being a PG and later in the year.

On defense - he’s 6-5 so his length and range is where he does well. He had a few times smaller waterbug guards got by him but he mostly does a nice job keeping things in front of him and using his length to close the space quickly when his man picks up his dribble.

Given he has one year as a PG he isn’t ball dominant. Honestly that’s perfectly fine. Ball dominant PGs haven’t served us well - a guy who can handle it and get the ball out of his hands while moving well without the ball in an offense that looks to move the ball more and iso less works just fine. He will need to have a good summer improving and practicing but there is a lot to work with even in terms of PG skills. He is always heads up on the ball which is a key skill too.

Have you not read through the thread- watched 10 of his games. Both start of being a PG and later in the year.

On defense - he’s 6-5 so his length and range is where he does well. He had a few times smaller waterbug guards got by him but he mostly does a nice job keeping things in front of him and using his length to close the space quickly when his man picks up his dribble.

Given he has one year as a PG he isn’t ball dominant. Honestly that’s perfectly fine. Ball dominant PGs haven’t served us well - a guy who can handle it and get the ball out of his hands while moving well without the ball in an offense that looks to move the ball more and iso less works just fine. He will need to have a good summer improving and practicing but there is a lot to work with even in terms of PG skills. He is always heads up on the ball which is a key skill too.
The motion offense dies as soon as we get into isolation.

Make your cut, catch the ball, triple threat immediately, decide to either shoot, drive, or pass quickly...

The motion offense had lots of complications and complexity, but at it's core, that's the whole offense.

Nowhere does the manual say "dribble mostly in place for 20 seconds and then attack the basket" like we've played it for a long time.

The thing I like about Davis and Leffew is that they move the ball or make their move quickly. They can both be important parts of an effective motion offense.

I also liked that about Brown.

Last edited:
It's strange that we seem to have a chance with former 4 and 5* football players out of the portal from schools like Georgia, Alabama and A&M, but we have no shot and aren't even in the discussion with the big basketball transfers?
i think its a strategy...they want vets...they want unproven hungry players willing to put the team ahead of themselves...its a certain profile they are going for (likely based on the knucklehead behavior of red;s first year)

they could definitely get some "big transfers" but all that glitters aint gold...as we saw with starling benny and westry last year ...they are "5stars" in case you forgot

Not concerned if he goes to Nova. I wasn’t blown away with what Leffew would give us. There will be other options. The optics of the coach deal aren’t great but is what it is. I’d say a Pitt like team did this, we would be making fun of them nonstop