Class of 2019 - PG Dakota Leffew (GA) Portal to Georgia | Page 46 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PG Dakota Leffew (GA) Portal to Georgia

1- I said I was half kidding, it was a crazy idea that doesn’t even seem legal.

2- Syracuse is paying him a lot right now to do nothing. Do you not remember his press conference last year and what he said? He was mad at the university because the University didn’t initially offer him a cushy job with a high salary to Step aside too? He’s made in excess of 40 million dollars in his career and still raking in the money.

3- Seems like you also missed the part where I said Syracuse up his salary, meaning more than what he currently is getting paid to do nothing. And That money is what he uses for NIL? So hes not really using money that he would have had anyways. It would essentially be the University, the athletic departments money. Again, has to be legal to pay an employee a massive salary for them to turn it into NIL. so, said tongue in cheek.
We do have to realize that Jim was worth more than he was making all these years. Maybe not last 6 - 7 but all the others that we were good. He saved us a shiiiit ton.

I want the kid but not loving this circus
I do feel like it's a bit of a circus...most of these older portal kids take a visit or two and then commit. This is the highschool version we're seeing here. I get it's exciting but just do the dang thing already! Like someone else said, maybe he's already committed and told the coaches...different strokes for different folks I guess.

We do have to realize that Jim was worth more than he was making all these years. Maybe not last 6 - 7 but all the others that we were good. He saved us a shiiiit ton.

I heard Boeheim talk about this once, at one of the luncheons he used to host weekly.

Paraphrasing, obviously -- but his take on it was that once he got the head coaching job, he was making quite a bit of money. Not compared to what coaches are paid now, but relatively speaking. Additionally:
  • The cost of living in CNY is lower than some other places, so his money stretched further.
  • He's never been into flashy cars, etc. -- he always drives Pontiacs. Nice cars, but not crazy expensive.
  • He's not into flashy clothes -- he prefers wearing sweats / SU gear, most of which was supplied by SU.
So he was making pretty good money, and wasn't spending a ton / living extravagantly. And over time, it added up. Eventually, his house was paid off, etc. and that just enabled him to save more.

And then in the early 80s, he got the 7 figure annual personal contract with Nike, on top of his coaching salary, which gave him even more money. He allocated some of that to assistants through the SU camps, but it just contributed him to having more money than he knew what to do with.

So as he progressed through his career, he just didn't see the need to chase dollars like many other coaches. He was where he wanted to be, doing what he wanted to do, and getting paid insanely well for it. Was he earning what his top market value was? Probably not -- but he didn't feel compelled to squeeze the university for the maximum, because he already felt like he was well off. What are a few more bucks, when you've already got more than you can possibly spend?

He also didn't begrudge other coaches for doing so, and trying to get maximum $$$. Just that for him, he didn't need to do it that way.

Last edited:
I figured going after older more mature players you wouldn't have to put up with this kind of stuff.
Someone has never been on facebook. People make a bigger circus out of getting a new phone

I want the kid but not loving this circus

He's only visiting 3 schools and posting a couple pics of each. It's us adults that are making a circus of it. People got it in their head that he would commit while visiting, but clearly he's going to make all his visits and choose after. I understand that mindset. Its exactly how I made my college choice.

Called it! So tomorrow will be Xavier and Saturday the commitment? :cool:

Money makes up for a lot, but its pretty clear which team and fanbase wants him more. Dont see a single Nova player in the comments while youve got a bunch of ours telling him how bad we want him at Cuse. The overwhelming majority of comments are also from Cuse fans. For me, if the money was even relatively close, I would go where I'm most wanted. Not to mention where his previous coach that he played 4 years with is now an assistant.

He's only visiting 3 schools and posting a couple pics of each. It's us adults that are making a circus of it. People got it in their head that he would commit while visiting, but clearly he's going to make all his visits and choose after. I understand that mindset. Its exactly how I made my college choice.
Exactly. Its just insane at some of the takes i have read in this ridiculous thread

This board is a circus and it keeps me coming back for more! Kid must know we don't like boring recruitments because we'd have nothing to talk about. :)

If we take him that means that we feel as if he was worth it. If we don't take him, it means we didn't. I truly believe that SU controls this. Bottom line is we have the money to get close enough that he will come to Syracuse. BUT SU has a cap on what they value him at. In business and life, it doesn't make sense to chase. I'm sure Red gets this and if we have to pass we should.

I heard Boeheim talk about this once, at one of the luncheons he used to host weekly.

Paraphrasing, obviously -- but his take on it was that once he got the head coaching job, he was making quite a bit of money. Not compared to what coaches are paid now, but relatively speaking. And the cost of living in CNY is lower than some other places, and he wasn't into flashy cars, etc. -- he's driven a pontiac his entire adult life. And he wasn't into flashy clothes -- in fact, he preferred wearing sweats / SU gear, most of which was supplied by the university.

So he was making pretty good money, and wasn't spending a ton / living extravagantly. And over time, it added up. His house was paid off, etc. And that just enabled him to save more.

And then in the early 80s, he got the 7 figure personal contract with Nike. He allocated some of that to assistants, but it just contributed him to having more money than he knew what to do with.

So later in his career, he just didn't see the need to chase dollars like many other coaches. He was where he wanted to be, doing what he wanted to do, and getting paid insanely well for it. Was he earning what his market value was? Probably not -- but he didn't feel compelled to squeeze the university for the maximum, because he already felt like he was well off. What are a few more bucks, when you've already got more than you can possibly spend?

He also didn't begrudge other coaches for doing so, and trying to get maximum $$$. Just that for him, he didn't need to do it that way.
That's pretty cool and sounds like a really healthy perspective.

1000007685.jpg

It's crazy how bent out of shape some folks get over a college kid having some fun.

Yup! Last chance most of these kids will have to do something like this. Have some fun with it. Dude has posted a handful of pictures from his OVs. Is it really a circus? My goodness.

I don't really care about posting visit images - totally fine and expected.

the #noncommitted hashtag with a fanbase bait comments is a tad annoying tho... but whatevs.