Class of 2019 - PG Dakota Leffew (GA) Portal to Georgia | Page 47 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PG Dakota Leffew (GA) Portal to Georgia

I heard Boeheim talk about this once, at one of the luncheons he used to host weekly.

Paraphrasing, obviously -- but his take on it was that once he got the head coaching job, he was making quite a bit of money. Not compared to what coaches are paid now, but relatively speaking. And the cost of living in CNY is lower than some other places, and he wasn't into flashy cars, etc. -- he's driven a pontiac his entire adult life. And he wasn't into flashy clothes -- in fact, he preferred wearing sweats / SU gear, most of which was supplied by the university.

So he was making pretty good money, and wasn't spending a ton / living extravagantly. And over time, it added up. His house was paid off, etc. And that just enabled him to save more.

And then in the early 80s, he got the 7 figure personal contract with Nike. He allocated some of that to assistants, but it just contributed him to having more money than he knew what to do with.

So later in his career, he just didn't see the need to chase dollars like many other coaches. He was where he wanted to be, doing what he wanted to do, and getting paid insanely well for it. Was he earning what his market value was? Probably not -- but he didn't feel compelled to squeeze the university for the maximum, because he already felt like he was well off. What are a few more bucks, when you've already got more than you can possibly spend?

He also didn't begrudge other coaches for doing so, and trying to get maximum $$$. Just that for him, he didn't need to do it that way.
Thats exactly how i was told it was with him. In reality he could have made much more. Just chose not too.

It's crazy how bent out of shape some folks get over a college kid having some fun.
I don't think people are losing any sleep over this or getting bent out of shape. There are just some (including myself) kind of tired of the Look at me Louie posts by him. Whatever, I still want the kid.

He's only visiting 3 schools and posting a couple pics of each. It's us adults that are making a circus of it. People got it in their head that he would commit while visiting, but clearly he's going to make all his visits and choose after. I understand that mindset. Its exactly how I made my college choice.
I hear you but I can do without the post visit #notcommitted social posts.

He's only visiting 3 schools and posting a couple pics of each. It's us adults that are making a circus of it. People got it in their head that he would commit while visiting, but clearly he's going to make all his visits and choose after. I understand that mindset. Its exactly how I made my college choice.
No no no, it's clearly the player posting photos of their college visit who is immature, and not me sitting at my computer in my shorts refreshing a fan forum page hundreds of times hoping to hear positive news about his visits.

$500K offer from 'Nova, if that's true, is absolutely insane. That's all.
Smells like a Scott Borals negotiating ploy. Let him walk for over 500 k I think we could do better. If not pay less and save money for other/future needs. I wonder when donor fatigue will set in. I would go down to the NRC before I would make these kids millionaires. Just my two cents and common sense.

Soooo hear me out. Jimmy B has a cushy job at Syracuse now. Does he really need the money after the millions of dollars he made in his career? Syracuse should up that salary. He then signs players to NIL deals since he is still getting payed a regular salary. Syracuse essentially funds the NIL.

Yes, I am half kidding and I am sure this would be highly frowned upon. Im sure there is something against school employees, but who really knows with the rules these days.

If he didn't already have the foundation, it might have made a lot of sense for him to front an NIL Collaborative for hoops. But he probably wants to save his efforts for his own organization, which has already done so much for the community - and where he has the final say.

I am so turned off by the fact that this is the conversation we are having about college kids.

I just did a bunch of research on this topic, and as of about January, the going rate for "average" starting players on P5 teams ranged from $50-75K/year.

Stars - Heisman Trophy candidates, or All Amercians can get $2-5M right now in NIL, not counting what they earn from social media.

Teams that are G5 kind of schools are even paying their starters $20-35K/year.
In the lower divisions, starters can get typically $2-5,000 a year.

Plus appearance fees ($2-5K, typically for college kids who are not "Stars", for autograph signings, camps, etc.)

Teams have budgets, it is coming together, and continuing to evolve, relatively quickly.

Money makes up for a lot, but its pretty clear which team and fanbase wants him more. Dont see a single Nova player in the comments while youve got a bunch of ours telling him how bad we want him at Cuse. The overwhelming majority of comments are also from Cuse fans. For me, if the money was even relatively close, I would go where I'm most wanted. Not to mention where his previous coach that he played 4 years with is now an assistant.

Yep the Nova pic comments are mostly Cuse people lol

I think the noncommitted hashtag is so there is no confusion that it's an announcement
Of course it is, but posting another round of the same pics from previous visits is just a pure publicity play. We've already seen the first round of photos when the visits were happening, does he think it might raise his price by juicing up the fanbases?

It's not a big deal at all just a weird look for an older transfer.

Of course it is, but posting another round of the same pics from previous visits is just a pure publicity play. We've already seen the first round of photos when the visits are happening, does he think it might raise his price by juicing up the fanbase?

It's not a big deal at all just a weird look for an older transfer.
Chucky Hepburn from Wisconsin just hit the portal, he is a very good player (PG, combo)….

I just did a bunch of research on this topic, and as of about January, the going rate for "average" starting players on P5 teams ranged from $50-75K/year.

Stars - Heisman Trophy candidates, or All Amercians can get $2-5M right now in NIL, not counting what they earn from social media.

Plus appearance fees ($2-5K, typically for college kids who are not "Stars", for autograph signings, camps, etc.)

Teams have budgets, it is coming together, and continuing to evolve, relatively quickly.

I’m curious if these numbers are total earnings over a period of time including all of what you have mentioned less so than like a pro team pitching an offer which would make more sense to me. X # of events etc…

the numbers you posted are incredibly low for 2024. There are P5 schools were the minimum amount of NIL a scholarship player gets is $75k
So if every player on the team received the minimum we are ooking at 6.3 million a year that boosters have to come up with for just the absolute minimum. multiply that by what????? 5 or 6 to get the middle guys and stars? 37 million dollars on top of scholarships room & board, etc. ?

I’m curious if these numbers are total earnings over a period of time including all of what you have mentioned less so than like a pro team pitching an offer which would make more sense to me. X # of events etc…

These are the amount of the packages that were offered to D1 starters in the fall semester and January window. These tend to be annual packages, although they are often tied to particular merchants or advertisers.

These are the amount of the packages that were offered to D1 starters in the fall semester and January window. These tend to be annual packages, although they are often tied to particular merchants or advertisers.

I was talking about the larger numbers like say what Leffews camp is tossing around which I’m sure is inflated but still figure getting to the higher numbers there are top end earnings(potential) that go with the actual offer..

I was talking about the larger numbers like say what Leffews camp is tossing around which I’m sure is inflated but still figure getting to the higher numbers there are top end earnings(potential) that go with the actual offer..
It has to be inflated.

I've heard that Roddy Gayle's representation [for example] is seeking -- order of magnitude -- around $250K. Gayle is a double figure scorer in a P5 conference, a proven commodity. So with no disrespect intended to Leffew, it doesn't make sense that he'd be getting offers that double that.

And as stated above, if he is -- good for him. Will be tough to turn down half-a-million.

I'm pretty sure those #'s have gone up.