Class of 2019 - PG Dakota Leffew (GA) Portal to Georgia | Page 52 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PG Dakota Leffew (GA) Portal to Georgia

One thing I find interesting is Leffew is following pretty much everyone at SU besides a couple players( including the new additions) and almost no one at the other schools he is looking at. Has to be a money play with Cuse still the leader unless social media trends are trash

Ugh. Our profile really has taken a hit when you struggle to land a solid but not spectacular option like Leffew. I wonder what he’s thinking and why he’s not sold on Cuse yet. We’re offering to make him our starting PG, his coach is now our assistant, and Red has proven he wants to run and play fast, which most players usually want. We have a great history of developing PGs here, incoming our head coach. Plus Red had a really solid first season at the helm and has a vision for the program. Meanwhile Neptune has struggled at Nova. Lamont Paris has a nice first season at SC but that’s not a big time program. I hope he comes around.
I have been told that it is 100% about $$$. He wants us. But we are short on what we are either willing to pay or able to pay. I hope we can reach an agreement with him.

That Sucks The Office GIF

Terrible TAKE. Not takes. You changed to plurality.

Go to the highest bidder. Great message to send to 22-23 year old. So many other things I could say about that, but it is what it is.
I will remind you of that when you hit the lottery.

I have been told that it is 100% about $$$. He wants us. But we are short on what we are either willing to pay or able to pay. I hope we can reach an agreement with him.
That’s good to know. You have to show evidence of what he’s worth compared to similar players. He better hope someone else doesn’t come up on our radar. You snooze, you may lose, especially if this is where he wants to go.

Eh you guys didn’t even know who this kid was a month ago…now he’s the savior we missed?
You’re really terrible at detecting sarcasm. I mean, really terrible.

How could you reasonably argue that before you know who the post-Leffew PG is?
I think he's suggesting since it's been mentioned on here that Leffew is #1 on THE BOARD that anyone other than Leffew would be a different plan, not that that player would be worse.

I don't see how that's a controversial take either.

Go to the highest bidder. Great message to send to 22-23 year old.
Hang on a second - he's going to be a 5th year player. I believe he's a grad transfer.

Assuming so, this is basically like taking a first job on a one year contract.

In that situation the highest bidder ABSOLUTELY is an enormous factor.

Yes, he should be doing exactly what he's doing. The fact that he can get compensated for his basketball talent is irrelevant. Any other fresh grad looking for a job you'd say sure, money isn't everything... but it sure helps. Probably something to consider.

I am all for going for the highest bidder do whatever you want but Red can't wait and get strung along. This is a make-or-break year for him. If we made our offer and he wants to shop around for better then move on. Not saying Red isn't exploring options he just can't be left holding nothing while waiting for kids to chase money.

the million dollar Question here is, is it the former or the latter?
he should maybe take a good offer, this is like Shark Tank, you ask me to counter I may choose to look elsewhere especially with the quality of players entering the portal now.

That’s good to know. You have to show evidence of what he’s worth compared to similar players. He better hope someone else doesn’t come up on our radar. You snooze, you may lose, especially if this is where he wants to go.

... Or he's out of our budget and we're on to someone else that's cheaper ..

In all honesty, I don’t think this is true because I don’t think anyone would be this shortsighted…

BUT…

If I’m a casual observer and see the following, what should I infer from this sequence of events:

-Staff pursues guard from Mount St. Mary’s and is first known portal guard to visit
-Head coach Autry hires head coach from Mount St. Mary’s as assistant coach
-Guard from Mount St. Mary’s does not commit on visit, and secures visit to South Carolina along with other visits - somewhat out of blue

Of course this board believes it’s a money grab - I think it’s a money grab. But if I’m a casual observer, it also isn’t a great look for the staff to hire the head coach and not get the player along with him.*

* -(Nothing is 100% over until the kid commits, but I don’t think this is happening.
You don't have to infer anything. Just let it play out.
Maybe the coaching hire was about filling a need and not trying to get one recruit.

If we’re eventually going to have to pay more than we want to, why not try with someone like tyrese hunter and see what happens? At least we’d be paying for a known commodity.

... Or he's out of our budget and we're on to someone else that's cheaper ..
If a transfer Maac player is out of our budget, then what does that say? Either Nova is massively overpaying him and he wants us to get close or we don’t have enough bball NIL to be as competitive as we want to be. Probably a mixture of both

If the staff has a major belief in this kid let’s hope they find the money and go forth from there.

So I always get concerned when I start seeing responses of "he is out of our budget or we can't pay the price " comments because it seemingly turns into some sort of board truth that I would wager is not remotely accurate. On more than a few occasions board insiders have shared Nil is mostly not an issue BUT it's not unlimited either. Choosing not to over pay in the market to me is smart. For example I believe it was validated that we had met Edwards original asking price and then West Virginia came in and offered more is the story. Allot more. Syracuse deciding not to overpay the outlier number doesn't mean they couldn't have, it just means they wanted to spend different.

If a transfer Maac player is out of our budget, then what does that say? Either Nova is massively overpaying him and he wants us to get close or we don’t have enough bball NIL to be as competitive as we want to be. Probably a mixture of both

...Or, he's worth what other programs are willing to pay him.

If that's over our valuation and/or budget, it is what it is.

As he's supposedly our #1 target, let's hope plan b isn't a significant downgrade

still wondering if the Nova $400-500k offer from one of the portal/recruiting twitter accounts is legit... if it is, it feels to me a bit much for this player - and if it is, he apparently didn't accept it, meaning he/his camp are looking for more than $500k?