Class of 2019 - PG Dakota Leffew (GA) Portal to Georgia | Page 53 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PG Dakota Leffew (GA) Portal to Georgia

Hang on a second - he's going to be a 5th year player. I believe he's a grad transfer.

Assuming so, this is basically like taking a first job on a one year contract.

In that situation the highest bidder ABSOLUTELY is an enormous factor.

Yes, he should be doing exactly what he's doing. The fact that he can get compensated for his basketball talent is irrelevant. Any other fresh grad looking for a job you'd say sure, money isn't everything... but it sure helps. Probably something to consider.
Exactly what all these guys the same age are doing when choosing where to play overseas.I mean what the heck is he talking about?

When i was 22 i would have licked the back of a toilet bowl for beer money repeatedly if people would have paid.
Marsh, are you the same one who a few weeks ago said that they would also drink pee for beer money?

All i know is i dont blame this kid for trying to use what the system is and get paid.

When i was 22 i would have licked the back of a toilet bowl for beer money repeatedly if people would have paid.
Disgusted Animation GIF by Mashed

So I always get concerned when I start seeing responses of "he is out of our budget or we can't pay the price " comments because it seemingly turns into some sort of board truth that I would wager is not remotely accurate. On more than a few occasions board insiders have shared Nil is mostly not an issue BUT it's not unlimited either. Choosing not to over pay in the market to me is smart. For example I believe it was validated that we had met Edwards original asking price and then West Virginia came in and offered more is the story. Allot more. Syracuse deciding not to overpay the outlier number doesn't mean they couldn't have, it just means they wanted to spend different.

Great post. The other sport I really like besides college basketball is soccer, and in that sport you have always had to buy your players.

Just like in college, there are a handful of teams that just have way more resources than anybody else and spend without regard.

The rest of the teams are using a budget. Almost without qualifications the ones that struggle are the teams that get desperate and overspend. The teams that have a valuation of every position and every player, and stick to it, tend to be the successful. Long term, making your fifth best player your highest paid player just because you are desperate for a point guard isn't a good idea. There are other fish in the sea, you have to find the right fit at the right price.

We already have, in my opinion at least, two very good players who are perfect fits for what we need. Clearly there is money to spend. Also, clearly, we are not Duke or Kansas that can just write a check for whatever amount is necessary to get the player we want. We have to find the right player, yes, but also at the right price. Let's let the process play out. We are 2 for 2 so far.

You don't have to infer anything. Just let it play out.
Maybe the coaching hire was about filling a need and not trying to get one recruit.
Agree. There’s NO WAY we hire his coach and just expected him to come without an agreement already in place. I’ve gotta believe these are two independent decisions.

So I always get concerned when I start seeing responses of "he is out of our budget or we can't pay the price " comments because it seemingly turns into some sort of board truth that I would wager is not remotely accurate. On more than a few occasions board insiders have shared Nil is mostly not an issue BUT it's not unlimited either. Choosing not to over pay in the market to me is smart. For example I believe it was validated that we had met Edwards original asking price and then West Virginia came in and offered more is the story. Allot more. Syracuse deciding not to overpay the outlier number doesn't mean they couldn't have, it just means they wanted to spend different.

Well, let's look at it this way...

Last year, we lost Jesse (a tier 1 P5 center) because we didn't have a cogent NIL plan at the time to keep him.

In the portal, we (supposedly) were in the mix for Hunter Dickinson (another tier 1 P5 center) to replace Jesse.

We didn't get him.

Plan B was McLeod... a nice, complimentary P5 backup center.

We effectively replaced a starter with a backup.

Had we gotten Dickinson, there is a strong argument to be made we win enough games to get in the dance (especially since McLeod got injured anyhow.)

Also, there is the argument that we were never seriously involved with Dickinson and McLeod was plan A all along... which, of course, is not exactly inspiring.

These decisions have consequences... especially when the replacements aren't like-for-like and are actually a downgrade.

If you have to "overpay" to be competitive, is it really overpaying?

I think he's suggesting since it's been mentioned on here that Leffew is #1 on THE BOARD that anyone other than Leffew would be a different plan, not that that player would be worse.

I don't see how that's a controversial take either.
My one sentence point was that he couldn't make ANY argument, good or bad, about the post-Leffew PG (if there is a post Leffew PG) before knowing who that player is.

But to your point, you have to squint kinda hard to assume that "much more down than ladder from plan B" simply meant a "different plan."

In Jesses' case, I think we thought, where does it end with this guy. We met his price once. If we do again, is he going to come back again?

In Jesses' case, I think we thought, where does it end with this guy. We met his price once. If we do again, is he going to come back again?

True, but I also question whether we even knew what we were doing.

The post-WV announcement where their NIL head basically said the numbers being bantered around for Jesse were not correct, it would definitely be less, and that they hadn't even developed or structured the contract yet.

I mean, I'm sure they had some sort of basic "agreement in principle" or similar, but it certainly sounded like nothing was definitive.

Hopefully we can find the money and make it work with Leffew and then Red gets real with understanding we have to get out there and push for NIL money.

Hopefully there is some collaboration going on with HCFB on that front too.

if we have a number that are willing to go on Lefeww and he’s looking for more than that, it is what it is.

But if we can’t AFFORD Lafeww that is more concerning
What if it is a little of both. And I don't know. But if we gave hima number that we think he is worth, and that is the top of what we can offer, but he has got as higher offer.....And the thing is, I have been told he wants to go to Syracuse.