Class of 2019 - PG Dakota Leffew (GA) Portal to Georgia | Page 58 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PG Dakota Leffew (GA) Portal to Georgia

Is he trying to see who will pay the most? Or do you think he is legit taking these visits to find a perfect fit for his game.

Whoever he chooses the other teams are going to have to make up for lost time on a point guard.
mt st marys is too small to have seen a lot of these schools...its not like he has even visited these campuses, most likely

whereas a player for a bigger school already would have

so I kinda get it...roach, as a counterexample, already saw everyone so he just quickly chose
I don't think we've missed out on anyone.
there have been a ton of PGs commit already...and most of the bigger schools have already made their selections

so the funnel is narrowing regardless of whether you wanna say they were possible or affordable or whatever...there is an opportunity cost in waiting whether its obvious or not (although, with that said, yeah there will still be options out there...just likely not best fits...)

Mintz was almost pitifully bad shooting from 3 the second half of last year. Teams just gave him the shot in the second half of the season. In the first half (16 games) Mintz had 2.8 attempts at 35.6%. In the second half, his attempts were 2.5, but he only shot 20%.

By comparison, Leffew shot 36.5 % on 6.8 three attempts per game. He was over 40% his last 19 games of the season.

If Mintz hadn't had that terrible shooting slump, how many more games do we win?
Outside of the BC game, nearly all losses were lopsided blowouts, that’s why I don’t think a couple more 3s makes a difference.

He’s a top 100 transfer according to The Athletic.
Is he? Maybe looked at an old version, I think I saw him in the 117-126 range.

I hope he is as great as the staff seems to think, it just feels like we specifically didn’t target a top guard in the portal, but someone we could afford and land. Now it seems like at best we are in a bidding war for Leffew without a clear plan b.

To be clear I trust Red, but wonder whether he has the resources to compete at the highest level.

I hope he is as great as the staff seems to think, it just feels like we specifically didn’t target a top guard in the portal, but someone we could afford and land. Now it seems like at best we are in a bidding war for Leffew without a clear plan b.

To be clear I trust Red, but wonder whether he has the resources to compete at the highest level.
Which is frustrating if football has the resources to go and get the transfers but basketball doesn’t.

He was originally #86 when they published their first list a few weeks back but he’s #126 now.

Board posters are confused and frustrated with a 21 year old's desire to be wooed with VIP treatment, parties, and coed hosts by as many colleges as possible.

Ok Boomer as a term of phrase is getting hack in my opinion, but as this thread approaches 60 pages my hand is kind of forced

He’s taking his last visit to Georgia today. Decision should be coming soon. Four visits in the last week. I wouldn’t say that he’s dragging out his decision. I think he grew up in Georgia. On the subject of point guards, theres been very little information about Wagner. I wonder if he’s trying to get NBA feedback.

Board posters are confused and frustrated with a 21 year old's desire to be wooed with VIP treatment, parties, and coed hosts by as many colleges as possible.

Ok Boomer as a term of phrase is getting hack in my opinion, but as this thread approaches 60 pages my hand is kind of forced

I'm not a boomer but I get your point. Some of these lower league guys weren't highly sought coming out of high school which makes it sort of a once in a lifetime opportunity. Some of them are looking at $$ and getting their after school lives off to a great start. Tons of reasons for kids to let the process play out. Other kids know where they want to go and have a bag sorted out before they get there.

Still I believe the situation here is that Dakota is our number one choice at a certain number. We are his number 1 choice but he thinks the number should be bigger. We will see how it plays out. I don't think its only about money though as Nova offered more and he hasn't committed to them. I feel like we are still in a good position like 55% at the very least a chance to match whatever Georgia offers.

I would expect to see someone else schedule a visit if Dakota doesn't commit to SU by tomorrow evening.

I'm not a boomer but I get your point. Some of these lower league guys weren't highly sought coming out of high school which makes it sort of a once in a lifetime opportunity. Some of them are looking at $$ and getting their after school lives off to a great start. Tons of reasons for kids to let the process play out. Other kids know where they want to go and have a bag sorted out before they get there.

Still I believe the situation here is that Dakota is our number one choice at a certain number. We are his number 1 choice but he thinks the number should be bigger. We will see how it plays out. I don't think its only about money though as Nova offered more and he hasn't committed to them. I feel like we are still in a good position like 55% at the very least a chance to match whatever Georgia offers.

I would expect to see someone else schedule a visit if Dakota doesn't commit to SU by tomorrow evening.
Thanks for your insight, Jordoo.

However even at 55%, it sounds like a coin flip.

Meaning either Dakota decides to come or he decides to go somewhere else. It is hard to put all the eggs in one basket and to wait.

Believe that is why JAB would at times recruit multiple players for a position and then take the first one that commits. That way changes the expectation if a recruit commits or not.

it appears that for some reason Red’s eggs for a point guard is based on Leffew. Hope Syracuse does not end up with egg on their faces.

Meaning either Dakota decides to come or he decides to go somewhere else. It is hard to put all the eggs in one basket and to wait.

Believe that is why JAB would at times recruit multiple players for a position and then take the first one that commits. That way changes the expectation if a recruit commits or not.

it appears that for some reason Red’s eggs for a point guard is based on Leffew. Hope Syracuse does not end up with egg on their faces.
There is no way in hell that all of our eggs are in the Leffew basket. Red has contingency plans. To assume that he doesn’t is insulting.

Now we may not like them because of our budget restrictions but to think the staff is just praying for Leffew and not talking to other guys in the background is crazy.

There is no way in hell that all of our eggs are in the Leffew basket. Red has contingency plans. To assume that he doesn’t is insulting.

Now we may not like them because of our budget restrictions but to think the staff is just praying for Leffew and not talking to other guys in the background is crazy.

Absolutely! Its a game of how long do you wait for your #1 option and if you up the $$ how much. That doesn't mean there aren't multiple options. This is why I think we see movement if Dakota does not commit to SU soon after the Georgia visit.

Last edited:
What if it's not so much our budget, but we aren't desperate enough to go above a certain number for this guy?

I would call it more like guess work than insight. It is recruiting after all.:cool:

For one year, no long term commitment? I think you can but how much is too much and what is actually available?
After getting played with Jesse maybe they don't want to be used as a bargaining chip again. Here's your offer, take it or leave it.

Last edited:
If true, it sounds like South Carolina or more likely, Georgia, met his NIL request.
History tells us that portal transfers tend to transfer to a school closer to home.

There are exceptions but this is how things usually go.

Hoping for the best but expecting him to pick one of the SEC schools.