Class of 2019 - PG Dakota Leffew (GA) Portal to Georgia | Page 80 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PG Dakota Leffew (GA) Portal to Georgia

Let me clarify - I don’t think Carlos will play 30+ minutes, nor should he. My point is Cuse needs another primary ball handler/facilitator.

Yes they played three guards last year. 3 guys that could handle the ball, but none that were true point guards that really facilitated the offense. How did that work out?

There were actually 4 guys who could handle for us last year. Don't forget Cuffe, because he played more than 10 minutes in every single game.

How did that work out? Well, we won 20 games with a bunch of guys who wouldn't listen to the coach.
Two of those four guys return.

We added a very good SG, a pass-first PG, we have a Copeland substitute (minus the crazy) hopefully returning from injury, and he can really pass and handle it, too.

I think we have plenty in the backcourt without Leffew. Gravy if we get him, but also unbalances the roster a bit, and leaves us short and a bit small up front.

If I weren't an insider, I would think that taking Carlos precluded getting Leffew - again, IF Westry is expected to be healthy and play this year.

I would spend the last one on a Taylor Koppenrath kind of guy, a big stretch 5 who could score and defend inside. Remember that guy from Vermont? They knocked us out that year, didn't they?

No chance it all wasn’t communicated to Leffew that Hofstra PG was committing.

While that is probably true, it does not mean that we had an offer out to Carlos at the time we first offered Leffew (and hired his coach)

The offer to Carlos wasn't already in play, IMO. Doesn't make any sense. This was a reaction by Red. "We are not going to get caught without anyone else", which has happened to us a couple times in the past while he has been on the staff.

So, sure, I would guess that Red said after a second visit was set up, "Hey, we're going to offer this guy, just so you know. If you decide to come here, we will have insurance (and competition) at your spot." I don't know how you don't have that type of conversation, TBH.

Maybe Leffew has a granny that started reading this board and advised against it.

No Way Smh GIF by Bouygues Telecom

There were actually 4 guys who could handle for us last year. Don't forget Cuffe, because he played more than 10 minutes in every single game.

How did that work out? Well, we won 20 games with a bunch of guys who wouldn't listen to the coach.

We added a very good SG, a pass-first PG, we have a Copeland substitute (minus the crazy) hopefully returning from injury, and he can really pass and handle it, too.

I think we have plenty in the backcourt without Leffew. Gravy if we get him, but also unbalances the roster a bit, and leaves us short and a bit small up front.

If I weren't an insider, I would think that taking Carlos precluded getting Leffew - again, IF Westry is expected to be healthy and play this year.

I would spend the last one on a Taylor Koppenrath kind of guy, a big stretch 5 who could score and defend inside. Remember that guy from Vermont? They knocked us out that year, didn't they?
I still have nightmares about Coppenrath.

I hope this kid isn't a head case. Not sure why he would wait to announce.
Isn’t NIL a contractual matter? Maybe there are terms to negotiate/revise? Maybe the fax machine is out of toner?

I thought maybe folks wanted to announce on separate days and there was a plan to avoid stepping on Carlos’ thunder, but who knows. Maybe more offers are coming in.

I don’t know if this guy is such a good fit for us and his potential is sky high—he may be the right guy. But it feels kinda sad that the #148 [The Athletic] portal transfer player is the source of so much angst for a team so desperate to get back to the top 25. For context, Bronny and Quaddir are ranked higher. Again, Leffew may be better than his number, and/or just a better component to our better-constructed team. But when so many complaints about us over the past five-ish years have been about the need to improve talent, hanging our hopes on #148 of transfers doesn’t feel so good. And we’ve blown him up here because he’s the target. I hope he’s IT—him and the other pieces, which aren’t insignificant. But with so much upheaval and so many transferring players across the country, I think I was hoping for a bigger jump from us. It’s more realistic to just hope for a smaller increment of improvement, and I trust that’s what we are getting.

Thoughts and prayers to the sensitive among us, if that was too negative. : )

Isn’t NIL a contractual matter? Maybe there are terms to negotiate/revise? Maybe the fax machine is out of toner?

I thought maybe folks wanted to announce on separate days and there was a plan to avoid stepping on Carlos’ thunder, but who knows. Maybe more offers are coming in.

I don’t know if this guy is such a good fit for us and his potential is sky high—he may be the right guy. But it feels kinda sad that the #148 [The Athletic] portal transfer player is the source of so much angst for a team so desperate to get back to the top 25. For context, Bronny and Quaddir are ranked higher. Again, Leffew may be better than his number, and/or just a better component to our better-constructed team. But when so many complaints about us over the past five-ish years have been about the need to improve talent, hanging our hopes on #148 of transfers doesn’t feel so good. And we’ve blown him up here because he’s the target. I hope he’s IT—him and the other pieces, which aren’t insignificant. But with so much upheaval and so many transferring players across the country, I think I was hoping for a bigger jump from us. It’s more realistic to just hope for a smaller increment of improvement, and I trust that’s what we are getting.

Thoughts and prayers to the sensitive among us, if that was too negative. : )

Not too negative at all… that said I think we are going for the sum greater than the individuals here. Paper rankings don’t matter but there is a boatload of paper talent on this team next year plus experience once you add Leffew. The pieces fit along with the talent then say you keep upping the NIL coffers and getting bigger fish- not to mention making sure you get Kiyan and Melo is on board to make sure there’s tons of buzz and talent too. It would be really intriguing if they managed to lure in a kid like the Manhattan transfer too or just another banger down low.

Make a move to have a tourney team even with a decent seed that flirts being top 25 or is top 25 and then really get things going. We shall see…

Well we just lost a center also

Allows us to add both Leffew and another stretch 4 like I've been begging for. Then I think we would have a solid roster. Going to be lots of competition.

Not too negative at all… that said I think we are going for the sum greater than the individuals here. Paper rankings don’t matter but there is a boatload of paper talent on this team next year plus experience once you add Leffew. The pieces fit along with the talent then say you keep upping the NIL coffers and getting bigger fish- not to mention making sure you get Kiyan and Melo is on board to make sure there’s tons of buzz and talent too. It would be really intriguing if they managed to lure in a kid like the Manhattan transfer too or just another banger down low.

Make a move to have a tourney team even with a decent seed that flirts being top 25 or is top 25 and then really get things going. We shall see…
I’m with you. Half of me is concerned that we don’t seem to be players for the top 20 or even 50 of the transfers, but as I said, sometimes it’s a matter of fit and being the component in a machine. We had a lot of parts last year, and sometimes they were disconnected and just rattling around. Leffew might be a potential star, and he might just be a simple bolt—either could have a transformative effect. As ever, though, I just want our portal recruiting to be active, proactive, and aggressive, and not complacent and relying just on the familiar or low-hanging fruit.

No it doesn't.

And while I feel like this guy has sources, he almost puts too much out there to make me think they're good ones. Don't want to burn your guys.

Fair enough… run with what is solid and pipe down otherwise then should be the lesson. He’s young so i expect he will learn.

Just for the record, Cuffe played more than 10 minutes in 14 games.

He played in 15 games where he played 10 minutes or less.

And there were 2 games he did not play at all.

So he played more than 10 minutes less than half the games.

He played more than 10 minutes in 7 of 21 ACC games.

Hopefully Dakota commits to us shortly, gets his goat/weed, all those nice C notes, his diet Dr Peppers and Jell-O shots and order is restored to the world,