Class of 2016 - PG Kobi Simmons (GA) Offered by Syracuse | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 PG Kobi Simmons (GA) Offered by Syracuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if JB and Hop will use the situation at UNC to their advantage. Something along the lines of "we know what we're dealing with and our situation can only get better, theirs can get much, much worse." I'd love to beat out UNC taking the high road and focusing on why Kobi should go to 'Cuse rather than why he shouldn't go elsewhere. A part of me wouldn't mind a little negative recruiting however given our recent struggles and the fact that other schools do it to us.
JB insists they do not negatively recruit.

jekelish said:
Here's the fun part about if we get Simmons... We missed out on a Mamba, but might get a Kobi anyway.

And a Simmons. He'll drop 19 points per game AND write weekly 3000 word blog posts comparing Lamarcus Aldridge's place in the NBA to a 45 second scene from Roadhouse.

I just had a chance to watch a few of his highlight clips, and the only issue at all I have with him is, as others have mentioned, his shooting mechanics are a little wonky. It's not just that he starts the ball low, it's that the ball tends to start directly in front of his face so he tends to swing the ball up and around from left to right, which reeeeeally slows down his release and could screw up his shooting motion. I'm typically in the camp of "repetition over form - see Martin, Kevin" so I'm not overly worried about it, but I could definitely see his mechanics being an issue that needs to be addressed down the road. Mainly because against aggressive close outs at the next level, it's going to make it a lot harder to get his shot off on kick outs, for instance.

But man, what an explosive athlete. Not only does he have a quick first step, but he's so rangy that it only takes him a couple steps to get to the rim after he beats his defender.

And hell, why not? Decided to write something up: http://.com/orange-hoops-hoping-to-land-kobi-simmons/

Last edited:
jekel: good point above about his release point being directly in front of his face. I do think it's a little low too but I've seen a lot worse.

Simmons is an amazing slasher. For you fans that go back to the 80s like I do: I hate to compare him to a Hoya but his slashing ability kind of reminds me of David Wingate, who also seemed to get to the rim in a flash. His build is very much like a young MCW. Simmons definitely needs to get stronger.

Last edited:
His slashing game is incredible, for sure. Not just because he's got a quick first step but again - he's got such long strides that he gets to the rack so unbelievably fast, it's going to be hard for guards to keep up once he gets shoulder to shoulder with them.

Does he have a left? I'm nit picking. Getting this kid would make my 2016.

jekelish said:
His slashing game is incredible, for sure. Not just because he's got a quick first step but again - he's got such long strides that he gets to the rack so unbelievably fast, it's going to be hard for guards to keep up once he gets shoulder to shoulder with them.
You're dead on, with his stride he looks like he could get to the rim in two steps from anywhere on the perimeter. He is going to be an exciting college player where ever he ends up and I'll follow him no matter what, but if he chooses the Orange he would be right up there with my favorite CUSE players before he ever steps on the court.

You're dead on, with his stride he looks like he could get to the rim in two steps from anywhere on the perimeter. He is going to be an exciting college player where ever he ends up and I'll follow him no matter what, but if he chooses the Orange he would be right up there with my favorite CUSE players before he ever steps on the court.

Remember Stevie back in the day? He covered more ground in two steps than anyone. Probably could have been an Olympic triple jumper.

On Simmons though: His stride along with his quickness is a major advantage and he seems to be gone before the defenders even realize they are truly beaten.

Last edited:
jordoo said:
Remember Stevie back in the day? He covered more ground in two steps than anyone. Probably could have been an Olympic triple jumper. On Simmons though: His stride along with his quickness is a major advantage and he seems to be gone before the defenders even realize they are truly beaten.
Unfortunately Stevie was about 5 years before I was born so I never witnessed him besides clips.

ORRange said:
SU is in the drivers seat. The staff made great strides against UNC. Visits mean nothing. We have our PG. End of the story. I'll stand by my prediction.

Could we end up with Simmons? Sure. But we are far far far from this being a forgone conclusion.

Lots of moving parts right now.

Could we end up with Simmons? Sure. But we are far far far from this being a forgone conclusion.

Lots of moving parts right now.
What would you say the odds are?

How many decibel points do you want me to run it out to?
decibel points: loud and clear
decimal points: just round it off

Takes just .300 for the MLB HOF, .400 to be a great three point shooter, .600 completion percentage for NFL HOF, and your doing better than any of that.

Subob1 said:
decibel points: loud and clear decimal points: just round it off Takes just .300 for the MLB HOF, .400 to be a great three point shooter, .600 completion percentage for NFL HOF, and your doing better than any of that.

Lol. Wow. I don't know if I actually typed that or autocorrect got me. But just to make sure I just screamed "55.64%" at the top of my lungs.

Re CuseHulk, either he gone or he Bill Bixby right now.

Mr. McGee, don't make me angry...you wouldn't like me when I'm angry.
hqdefault.jpg

jordoo said:
That's too bad, he really was electric.

DC, Sherm and Stevie were the perfect combination. With DC controlling the boards, it allowed Stevie to leak out, and Sherm always knew where he was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom