Class of 2016 - PG Kobi Simmons (GA) Offered by Syracuse | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 PG Kobi Simmons (GA) Offered by Syracuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
DC, Sherm and Stevie were the perfect combination. With DC controlling the boards, it allowed Stevie to leak out, and Sherm always knew where he was.

Its no wonder some of use struggle to enjoy the grind of today's NCAA product. Damn it was exciting back in the 80's and right through the 90's. The early 00's is when the slow down wrestling game started to creep in.

jordoo said:
That's too bad, he really was electric.
Me and my dad started talking about him after I saw your post and he could not stop talking about how fun he was to see love and mentioned trying to go to an Oregon State game if they play in the southeast in Jr.s time up there just to see a Stevie Thompson on the court again.

Just 55%? That's all? Half the posters on the board are panting in anticipation.

image.jpg

Could we end up with Simmons? Sure. But we are far far far from this being a forgone conclusion.

Lots of moving parts right now.

Kobi will take his visits, but is coming here. I know you know what the staff thinks, and always respect what you say. But I believe my guy. I've said my piece and we will see. SUball

ORRange said:
Kobi will take his visits, but is coming here. I know you know what the staff thinks, and always respect what you say. But I believe my guy. I've said my piece and we will see. SUball

I liked your post, not because I disrespect Jake's information, but because I really want to believe yours.

If he's waiting until the spring, we need to move on. With our limited scholarships, we can't get lose out and be left with backups. I'd rather lock up Duvall. Unfortunately, he's blowing up and his recruiting is going to start to bring all the big boys into the picture. Losing Battle really messed up all of our priorities moving forward.

If he's waiting until the spring, we need to move on. With our limited scholarships, we can't get lose out and be left with backups. I'd rather lock up Duvall. Unfortunately, he's blowing up and his recruiting is going to start to bring all the big boys into the picture. Losing Battle really messed up all of our priorities moving forward.
Duval is in the class of 2017, though.

Got to watch a full game of Simmons recently. Very talented on the offensive side of things. Creates his own shot with ease and had a bunch of acrobatic finishes in the lane. Didn't see much of a jumper but it was only one game. Some negatives in there as well that I'll mention in a more detail report soon.
Looking back on some notes that I have from that game. Simmons stat line was 18pts, 7-14 fg, 4-4 ft, 0-2 3pt, 4ast, 3stls, 2rbs, 3to. What I wanted to add was that defensively he had shown good instincts and timing when forcing several steals and deflections. Only issue I had was that he pretty much picked and choose when he wanted to play D and didn't have the intensity cranked up on that side as he did on offense. Hoping to get some other viewings of him this summer.

Looking back on some notes that I have from that game. Simmons stat line was 18pts, 7-14 fg, 4-4 ft, 0-2 3pt, 4ast, 3stls, 2rbs, 3to. What I wanted to add was that defensively he had shown good instincts and timing when forcing several steals and deflections. Only issue I had was that he pretty much picked and choose when he wanted to play D and didn't have the intensity cranked up on that side as he did on offense. Hoping to get some other viewings of him this summer.

I'm sure I will end up looking like a dope with this assessment, but I am not a big fan of Simmons at this point. Great athlete, gets to the rim and jumps over everybody. But the release on his jumper (from mid chest) is a major flaw IMO, and will limit his ceiling in college.

007 said:
I'm sure I will end up looking like a dope with this assessment, but I am not a big fan of Simmons at this point. Great athlete, gets to the rim and jumps over everybody. But the release on his jumper (from mid chest) is a major flaw IMO, and will limit his ceiling in college.

It's funny - I've seen two tapes. Totally unpressed by one, blown away by the other. I tend to agree with you in that he's a great athlete, might not be the most skilled.

The problem with recruiting these types is that you end up only getting the raw player and they jump at the first indications that their game is developing.

It's funny - I've seen two tapes. Totally unpressed by one, blown away by the other. I tend to agree with you in that he's a great athlete, might not be the most skilled.

The problem with recruiting these types is that you end up only getting the raw player and they jump at the first indications that their game is developing.

Yeah, I agree Jake . But, I would like to see us shift a little more to the highly skilled types, even at the expense of some length and athleticism. I think this will be especially important at the 1-3 spots as we try to cope with the accumulative impact of the sanctions. We are clearly going to need to get a lot better at scoring going forward. I think Simmons might represent the type of athlete we need to be particularly diligent about in terms of "fit."

Agree with Jake / 007. That's not to say that I wouldn't want to see us land Simmons, but given the scholarship restrictions and the relatively few number we'll have available in the next two classes, we need to optimize our additions by bringing in guys who can contribute early and make an impact. We can't afford another McCullough-esque swing and miss on an athletic one-and-done who barely makes a dent.

Its quite a dilemma, because I agree that Simmons would be an incredible two year player who most likely is going to be a one-and-done due to his physical tools. Its a gamble.

Status
Not open for further replies.