Class of 2018 - PG Malik Zachery (NY) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 PG Malik Zachery (NY)

http://highschoolsports.syracuse.co...d-nottingham-beats-liverpool-for-second-time/
Zachery puts up a career high scoring 27pts with 6 threes in a win.
I was there last night. He shot the ball very well. It was the first time I have seen him in person. He has a very smooth game. It is unusual to see kids who are quick but never get sped up, that is exactly what he does. Malik has a good over all game. He made great reads in their full court press and had numerous steals. The interesting thing to me is to see how much more athleticism he gains with age.

Last edited:
Just to update: Malik has already e-mailed me back with his responses. This interview will be up tomorrow morning.

Sidenote: I mentioned in passing in my e-mail that my all-time favorite SU player is Lazarus Sims, and it turns out that Malik's dad is great friends with Lazarus to the point where Malik calls him "Uncle Z." So, just so we're clear: this good young point guard prospect has mentors that include Billy Edelin and Lazarus Sims. You can't ask for much better than for a young point guard to have two of the best passing point guards in SU history helping to teach him the game and how to see the floor.

He has received recent interest from Kansas and Wake Forest. Hasn't heard from the SU staff since the season started though.
I assume that has to be due at least partly to the fact that, right now, SU is focusing fully on pursuing Duval in the class of 2017, right?

I assume that has to be due at least partly to the fact that, right now, SU is focusing fully on pursuing Duval in the class of 2017, right?
I wouldn't necessarily say that. 2017 is such a long ways away and it's not like Duval is a lock to commit anytime soon. There are several other guards that they have shown interest in for 2017, but I don't think you'll see any new offers being made until the open gym and AAU evaluation sessions take place in the spring. Hopefully Malik will eventually get more of a look from SU, but it's nice to see him get interest from other good programs as of late.

I wouldn't necessarily say that. 2017 is such a long ways away and it's not like Duval is a lock to commit anytime soon. There are several other guards that they have shown interest in for 2017, but I don't think you'll see any new offers being made until the open gym and AAU evaluation sessions take place in the spring. Hopefully Malik will eventually get more of a look from SU, but it's nice to see him get interest from other good programs as of late.
Agreed. He strikes me as a good kid from the times I've interacted with him. Glad to see him getting noticed.

With some big recent performances and a new highlight reel hitting yesterday, figured it was time to write some more about Malik: http://.com/malik-zachery-is-torching-central-new-york/
Yeah i just saw this article ... was on OG looking for Jeremy's run-down of the SU-UVA LAX game. Seems like SU is looking at Duval as the '17 PG, but if this kid is right under our nose and is capable of putting up 30+ ppg (including 4 tre's) ... he needs to hear from us. Never hurts to be on a kid early (not too early, but ... as early as is appropriate), especially if he's threatening to explode like this kid. He's even got a floater lol

Last edited:
Yeah i just saw this article ... was on OG looking for Jeremy's run-down of the SU-UVA LAX game. Seems like SU is looking at Duval as the '17 PG, but if this kid is right under our nose and is capable of putting up 30+ ppg (including 4 tre's) ... he needs to hear from us. Never hurts to be on a kid early (not too early, but ... as early as is appropriate), especially if he's threatening to explode like this kid. He's even got a floater lol
My only guess as to why the interest has been limited for him is that the staff probably doesn't take his numbers against the local CNY comp seriously, and maybe wants to see how he stacks up nationally against the best? The advantage that a kid like Duval has is that he's been very productive playing on the big stage at St. Benedict's, and playing a big role leading the NJ Playaz to an EYBL Peach Jam title last summer playing two grades up his age group.