Class of 2018 - PG Malik Zachery (NY) | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 PG Malik Zachery (NY)

Here goes some highlights of his recent 32pt performance.
The competition may not be top flight .. but a smooth jumper is a smooth jumper. One play he split two defenders Dion style and double-pumped to the rim. He has a floater, he has court vision -- although it's so easy for him to score why give it up?! I'll let you guys comment on the technical aspects, shot mechanics, play-making, etc...

He's 6-1? The Cheerleader with the big afro is taller than him then. lol.

The competition may not be top flight .. but a smooth jumper is a smooth jumper. One play he split two defenders Dion style and double-pumped to the rim. He has a floater, he has court vision -- although it's so easy for him to score why give it up?! I'll let you guys comment on the technical aspects, shot mechanics, play-making, etc...

He's 6-1? The Cheerleader with the big afro is taller than him then. lol.
She gone
:)

Watching Malik in person right now and not really impressed. The Freshman from Ludden is gettig the better of the match up by a lot. Plus Adams-woods is a good 2-3 inches taller. Zachary has 2 points and Adams-woods has 16 and having to carry his team. The Ludden freshman pg is a better prospect imo. Super tight handle, and silky smooth jumper.

Watching Malik in person right now and not really impressed. The Freshman from Ludden is gettig the better of the match up by a lot. Plus Adams-woods is a good 2-3 inches taller. Zachary has 2 points and Adams-woods has 16 and having to carry his team. The Ludden freshman pg is a better prospect imo. Super tight handle, and silky smooth jumper.

I don't know about Nottingham's coach and Zachary(he sure looks good on tape) but Donnelly's Ludden teams play great defense. Unless Donnelly's changed his philosophy that Adams-Woods kid should be very good defensively too. Should be a good game.

I don't know about Nottingham's coach and Zachary(he sure looks good on tape) but Donnelly's Ludden teams play great defense. Unless Donnelly's changed his philosophy that Adams-Woods kid should be very good defensively too. Should be a good game.

Yep, I played for Donnelly so I am well aware how great of a coach he is, especially on the defensive end. He took Zachary out of the game, holding him to 6 points, and eventually fouling out. Once Zachary fouled out Ludden stormed back and Donnelly drew up a great inbounds play to send the game to overtime with 4 seconds to go. Then without Zachary, Nottingham was lost, and Ludden pulled away.

I will say this about Zachary. The kid has a really tight handle, and is good at creating for others. His shot was off today, but you can tell he is a player. It was my first time seeing him live, so maybe it was an off night, or it could have been Donnelly, who is known for his great defensive teams.

I can completely understand why we would go after Duval over Zachery. I'd prefer Duval if push comes to shove but with the way we have been seemingly always thin at the PG spot I wouldn't mind being involved with both guys and possibly bringing both in although Zachery may have too many other offers and attention by then to want to come in and likely sit. If he has a good AAU season next go around I expect he will be seeing a lot of attention. Correct me if I'm wrong but its not like we have been ignoring him right? Wasn't he at our elite camp? The staff probably has a pretty good handle on what he can do at this point. That jumper is pretty smooth looking especially the pull up although he gets a little more snap into it than I'd like to see and I bet most of his misses are off the back rim because of it. Very nice handle and seems to be aware of where everyone is.

Great call on the cheerleader with the afro, who ever mentioned it, impossible to watch that video and not wonder why she is cheerleading and not playing on the girls squad. LOL

Malik has been to the SU Elite camp a couple times. I kind of wonder if this might turn into a situation where he eventually does a post grad year to boost his profile a little more?

He really needs to at least consider going to a prep situation - Oak Hill, New Hampton, Vermont Academy, anyplace like that - to play better competition and get a high profile.

Something to watch out for: Malik has agreed to do an occasional diary entry for Otto's Grove during his recruiting process.

EDIT: The first one should probably be within the next couple weeks.

Last edited:
Malik led his Albany City Rocks squad to a championship this weekend in the 16u EYBL division. They automatically qualify for the Peach Jam finals in July.

Francis you have any idea where my boy Mika Adams-Wood plays AAU?

anomander said:
Francis you have any idea where my boy Mika Adams-Wood plays AAU?

He plays for Billy Edelins Gym Ratz AAU 9th grade team. Real good team. Has some of the best 9th graders around here. The big 3 are Adams Wood, Naz Johnson and Charlie Pride. They recently won a big tournament in Baltimore. They've been to the CP3 camps and I think Johnson and Adams-Wood were put on the CP national team. Jack Boeheim is also on the team, but those other 3 are 3 of the very top freshman in NYS and highly regarded nationally.

Francis03 said:
Gym Ratz 15u. Coached by Billy Edelin. JB's younger kid who is considered to be better than the one at JD is on the squad as well. Charles Pride from CBA, another talented 2018 guard is also on the team.

Keep an eye on Johnson, he's one of the big 3 and I think was the leading scorer in the Baltimore Tournament. He just started taking the game seriously 2 years ago.

Keep an eye on Johnson, he's one of the big 3 and I think was the leading scorer in the Baltimore Tournament. He just started taking the game seriously 2 years ago.

Really smooth player, with quite a body for a 15 year old. I'm trying to figure out what position he plays? Seems like a 3 or 4? What's his height, and HS?

anomander said:
Really smooth player, with quite a body for a 15 year old. I'm trying to figure out what position he plays? Seems like a 3 or 4? What's his height, and HS?

He used to be an average sized kid a couple years ago then grew about 6 inches in a year. He's built like a man now. Might be about 6'3 and probably goes 185-190. He's played inside for most teams but the HS coach and now Edelin are getting him to play more on the wing and even PG. Even if he gets to 6'5 he's not going anyplace as a big. So he is developing his guard skills. I think this is his first year with Edelin. He used to play with another AAU program where he mostly played inside.

jekelish said:
Well, there's a first name I'll never be able to spell without double checking.

Just call him Nas.

Frankie Policielli is going to be a good player too. He plays inside for New Hartford but can play the wing going forward. This is the first group that Billy has had since the were middle school kids.

Last edited:
This is a great way to establish connections with a potential recruit assuming it doesn't break any idiotic NCAA rules. Would be interesting to see if Otto's Grove could establish connections with Trevon DuVal and Jordan Tucker -- 2 prime SU targets in the 2017 class.