Class of 2019 - PG Mika Adams-Woods (NY) | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PG Mika Adams-Woods (NY)

Sucks that Sullivan sprained his ankle 90 seconds into the game. It was almost over right then but when Johnson got in foul trouble in the 1st quarter and sat the rest of the half only to pick up his 3rd the first minute of the 2nd half, that was the final nail. It was a shame that happened to Sullivan in what is now his final game. Liverpool is the better team but you can't lose your star and PG after 90 seconds. Great job by Blackwell this year. Will be interesting to see what he does next year losing all his guards. Johnson will have to learn how to stay out of foul trouble and play like an all stater.

Tough to say Liverpool is the better team when they had 4 losses in Section 3 this year and Ludden had 1. Beat Henninger & CBA twice, both of which beat Liverpool. But I am a little biased though...

Adams-Woods vs Kevin Huerter next Saturday in the state quarters should be a good one.
Shen has to play Tuesday night first vs Green Tech for the sectional title.

Tough to say Liverpool is the better team when they had 4 losses in Section 3 this year and Ludden had 1. Beat Henninger & CBA twice, both of which beat Liverpool. But I am a little biased though...

I am obviously biased as well, but I think coaching makes up for any talent deficiencies. I am sure Blackwell knows a ton of basketball, and is a good HS basketball coach, but Coach Donnelly was winning sectional titles when Ryan was still a kid. Just look at the score. It looks like there were some defensive adjustments made from the first game, and that was ultimately the difference maker. Mika gets a lot of the headlines because of his scoring, but Ludden teams have always been known for their tenacious defense. I personally know how much work goes into defense, and specific game planning in general, so I wasn't shocked one bit when I saw Ludden beat Henniger, and Liverpool. Nobody is going to tell me Ludden was the more talented team, but one area where they had a huge advantage was coaching, and it looks like it showed.

ejz555 said:

Better than the transitive property is head to head. Liverpool had already beaten BL by 19 with Sullivan scoring 29. Don't see total losses meaning anything either. BL player a far weaker schedule since the weren't class AA. But playing up in the sectionals is a big credit to them.

anomander said:
I am obviously biased as well, but I think coaching makes up for any talent deficiencies. I am sure Blackwell knows a ton of basketball, and is a good HS basketball coach, but Coach Donnelly was winning sectional titles when Ryan was still a kid. Just look at the score. It looks like there were some defensive adjustments made from the first game, and that was ultimately the difference maker. Mika gets a lot of the headlines because of his scoring, but Ludden teams have always been known for their tenacious defense. I personally know how much work goes into defense, and specific game planning in general, so I wasn't shocked one bit when I saw Ludden beat Henniger, and Liverpool. Nobody is going to tell me Ludden was the more talented team, but one area where they had a huge advantage was coaching, and it looks like it showed.

The defensive adjustment was Sullivan getting hurt 90 seconds in. They had no PG after that plus being their best player and leading scorer. What if Sullivan doesn't get hurt but instead Mika is lost after 90 seconds?

Better than the transitive property is head to head. Liverpool had already beaten BL by 19 with Sullivan scoring 29. Don't see total losses meaning anything either. BL player a far weaker schedule since the weren't class AA. But playing up in the sectionals is a big credit to them.
They have no choice where they play. They are put in AA for sectionals by Section 3 and can't play in a AA conference because the AA schools don't want them. They only want schools who will play all sports AA. They schedule as many AA games as they can while trying to keep rivalries. No other AA teams would have beaten Ludden. After the top 4 there was a huge drop off. I was at the earlier game. Liverpool was hotter than a pistol and Ludden was flat, easily their worst game of the year. We can agree to disagree, but they end up 5-1 against the best of this sections A & AA schools (Liverpool, Henninger & CBA) those are the best teams in this section by far in my opinion.

The defensive adjustment was Sullivan getting hurt 90 seconds in. They had no PG after that plus being their best player and leading scorer. What if Sullivan doesn't get hurt but instead Mika is lost after 90 seconds?

Then L'Pool wins by 20+. Game was over before it started basically with the loss of Sullivan. Stinks that's how it panned out. I thought that Liverpool team was very good this year.

Horrible luck for Sullivan and Liverpool. Since Sullivan was a senior and Liverpool had a number of seniors on the team with Johnson being the only underclassman, is there a good pg coming somewhere up the ranks.? Will next year, Ryan Blackwell's 2nd year, be a rebuilding year? Thought he did an excellent job in his first year with a team that had underachieved for too long. Nice to see.

I always enjoyed watching Ludden's team over the years, the sum was usually much better than the parts. This is the first time that a higher level D1 prospect has ever been there. Pat Campolieta who graduated in the late 90's went and starred for Colgate.

Horrible luck for Sullivan and Liverpool. Since Sullivan was a senior and Liverpool had a number of seniors on the team with Johnson being the only underclassman, is there a good pg coming somewhere up the ranks.? Will next year, Ryan Blackwell's 2nd year, be a rebuilding year? Thought he did a very good job with a team that usually underachieved. Nice to see.

I always enjoyed watching Ludden's team over the years, the sum was usually much better than the parts. This is the first time that a higher level D1 prospect has ever been there. Pat Campolieta who graduated in the late 90's went and starred for Colgate.
Even though he wasn't D-1, Terry Smith had a very successful college career and is still playing in the pros. I agree with you though, usually it is the team and not individuals for Ludden.

Even though he wasn't D-1, Terry Smith had a very successful college career and is still playing in the pros. I agree with you though, usually it is the team and not individuals for Ludden.
Terry was a big surprise and was on JV's when he ended up on varsity during his sophomore year. I thought in Paulus' senior year he outplayed Greg Paulus beating CBA Greg's senior year twice I think. He went to Mercyhurst College in Pennsylvanis, breaking records while there. Lemoyne from what I heard didn't even look at him - big mistake, he was totally under recruited. I heard he was doing great overseas and he must be there now about 9 years.

Horrible luck for Sullivan and Liverpool. Since Sullivan was a senior and Liverpool had a number of seniors on the team with Johnson being the only underclassman, is there a good pg coming somewhere up the ranks.? Will next year, Ryan Blackwell's 2nd year, be a rebuilding year? Thought he did a very good job with a team that usually underachieved. Nice to see.

Mark Wadach my Fav SU Player with the Lee's

It's really amazing the amount of success they have had over the years without elite talent. There is usually at least 1 or 2 D2 or D3 kids on each team, but that's really it. I played with Pat for 2 years, and he was one hell of a player. If he didn't severely sprain his ankle in the last minute of our sectional final that we won, we would have went on to win the states easily that year. Unfortunately, Pat played the next game basically on one leg and we ended up getting beat in the next game.

As for Mika, I know he has a close relationship with Eidlen, but I wonder if anybody from the Albany City Rocks is trying to get in touch with him? They play a much more competitive AAU schedule, with far more exposure.

It's really amazing the amount of success they have had over the years without elite talent. There is usually at least 1 or 2 D2 or D3 kids on each team, but that's really it. I played with Pat for 2 years, and he was one hell of a player. If he didn't severely sprain his ankle in the last minute of our sectional final that we won, we would have went on to win the states easily that year. Unfortunately, Pat played the next game basically on one leg and we ended up getting beat in the next game.

As for Mika, I know he has a close relationship with Eidlen, but I wonder if anybody from the Albany City Rocks is trying to get in touch with him? They play a much more competitive AAU schedule, with far more exposure.
Mika is rolling with the City Rocks this year. Dunno what age group he'll be playing for yet though.

Mika is rolling with the City Rocks this year. Dunno what age group he'll be playing for yet though.

That's probably best for him...or at least from an exposure standpoint.

ejz555 said:
They have no choice where they play. They are put in AA for sectionals by Section 3 and can't play in a AA conference because the AA schools don't want them. They only want schools who will play all sports AA. They schedule as many AA games as they can while trying to keep rivalries. No other AA teams would have beaten Ludden. After the top 4 there was a huge drop off. I was at the earlier game. Liverpool was hotter than a pistol and Ludden was flat, easily their worst game of the year. We can agree to disagree, but they end up 5-1 against the best of this sections A & AA schools (Liverpool, Henninger & CBA) those are the best teams in this section by far in my opinion.

I'm not knocking BL but that first game that you say they were flat and Liverpool was hot was the same as this game in reverse. Only in this game the best player was lost and that team just couldn't get it together without their PG. IMO that is a totally different game with Sullivan. He not only is great but makes everyone else better. The Cutlers get wide open shots cause Sullivan is so good at getting into the lane and kicking it out.

Cheriehoop said:
Horrible luck for Sullivan and Liverpool. Since Sullivan was a senior and Liverpool had a number of seniors on the team with Johnson being the only underclassman, is there a good pg coming somewhere up the ranks.? Will next year, Ryan Blackwell's 2nd year, be a rebuilding year? Thought he did an excellent job in his first year with a team that had underachieved for too long. Nice to see. I always enjoyed watching Ludden's team over the years, the sum was usually much better than the parts. This is the first time that a higher level D1 prospect has ever been there. Pat Campolieta who graduated in the late 90's went and starred for Colgate.

I think they struggle next year. I don't know about the JV team but they don't have anyone on varsity that will come close to replacing Sullivan and the Cutlers. Medeiros doesn't start but I don't count him because he plays so much, but also isn't a PG. he and Johnson will be their best players but neither are guards. I don't know where they go there next year. Maybe look for a transfer? ;)

I think they struggle next year. I don't know about the JV team but they don't have anyone on varsity that will come close to replacing Sullivan and the Cutlers. Medeiros doesn't start but I don't count him because he plays so much, but also isn't a PG. he and Johnson will be their best players but neither are guards. I don't know where they go there next year. Maybe look for a transfer? ;)[/QUOTE

It's happened and if parents/players like Ryan Blackwell I bet it will. I thought Adams-Woods has been playing at Ludden since at least 8th grade?

I think they struggle next year. I don't know about the JV team but they don't have anyone on varsity that will come close to replacing Sullivan and the Cutlers. Medeiros doesn't start but I don't count him because he plays so much, but also isn't a PG. he and Johnson will be their best players but neither are guards. I don't know where they go there next year. Maybe look for a transfer? ;)
As a Liverpool fan, they will have a down year next year. Definitely will see just how good of a coach Blackwell is next year. They don't have a whole lot of talent returning.

I just hope MKW doesn't transfer to one of the New England preps, or something like that.

Shen has to play Tuesday night first vs Green Tech for the sectional title.
Shen took care of Green Tech by 18 tonight. http://www.nysbasketballbrackets.com/2016/16stateaa.html Looking at how things turned out in the other sectionals, I would still favor Shen to repeat in the state tourney once again. Brentwood, Mount Vernon, and Bishop Kearney, were all teams that I thought could have given them a tough challenge. Unfortunately for them, they all ended up losing in their sectionals.

For those interested. Shen vs Bishop Ludden will take place on Saturday at Hudson Valley CC, tip off at 1:45.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom