Class of 2017 - PG Quade Green (PA) Verbaled to Kentucky | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 PG Quade Green (PA) Verbaled to Kentucky

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is very true, though Kentucky seems to do this every year, so we have to sell the recruits that there class can come in and create something special and contend for a title right off the bat.

UK is always getting top 10 guys for those open spots; maybe it's a harder sell for us to the top 25-75 guys we target?

Tremont Waters may be worth a look. He's a gunner and a UConn lean, but there's few other options available. If we weren't so rabidly reliant on the pick and roll PG wouldn't be such an important position for us.

Interesting point on the reliance on the pick and roll.

UK is always getting top 10 guys for those open spots; maybe it's a harder sell for us to the top 25-75 guys we target?
Definitely, though for 2017 we seem to be after kids that are ranked as high as top ten like Diallo, and I think Tucker and Green will be ranked in the top 20 if they continue playing like they are.

I don't know, I thought it was pretty much a foregone conclusion that Quade would start getting love from the UKs of the world - he's that good. Just gotta have faith the the work the staff has put in will pay off here

Whose uks priority at point? Young, Duval? Theres not too msny pgs in the top 50 unfortunately
UK surprisingly isn't much of a factor in the Duval mix right now. Trae Young seems to be their top PG target at the moment. I could see Cal eventually offering Quade as a backup plan if things were to go south with Young.

PodOmatic | Best Free Podcasts
I discussed the alternatives for the PG position at the 43-49 minute mark.

I've heard that podcast, Francis03. Those guys are way down the food chain. Are there no other alternatives to Quade who are more on his level? I guess my concern is if we don't net Quade, we might sign some jabroni? I'd raise the People's Eyebrow at that scenario.

I know I am biased, but to me this is how you sell against UK.

1. They play in a garbage conference. The competition is better here.
2. Syracuse develops guards that may be underrated (Dion, MCW, Ennis, Mal) we will do the same with you. (Remember the Harrison twins were top 10 recruits and are in the D league)
3. NBA scouts aren't impressed with UKs player development. It's been proven at the scouting combine that their guys have not become stronger in UK's S&C program.

UK surprisingly isn't much of a factor in the Duval mix right now. Trae Young seems to be their top PG target at the moment. I could see Cal eventually offering Quade as a backup plan if things were to go south with Young.

I think Duval's UnderArmour ties are very strong. He seems ready-made for UK, so maybe that's why they aren't going strong at him.

I've heard that podcast, Francis03. Those guys are way down the food chain. Are there no other alternatives to Quade who are more on his level? I guess my concern is if we don't net Quade, we might sign some jabroni? I'd raise the People's Eyebrow at that scenario.

If you can't get a top level PG, at least we should have Howard for a year. After that if we have all twos and threes, move to more of a movement based offense that doesn't rely on the PG to create. Recent National Champions Villanova and Duke won with Archidiacano and Jon Scheyer as primary ball handlers. I wouldn't call those guys elite PG's, but those schools incorporated sets in their offense where all five guys move without the ball, something we seem to struggle with..

If you can't get a top level PG, at least we should have Howard for a year. After that if we have all twos and threes, move to more of a movement based offense that doesn't rely on the PG to create. Recent National Champions Villanova and Duke won with Archidiacano and Jon Scheyer as primary ball handlers. I wouldn't call those guys elite PG's, but those schools incorporated sets in their offense where all five guys move without the ball, something we seem to struggle with..

You actually think we'd change our offense? That'd be a true shocker.

As much as I want Greene I don't see him passing frank in the starting line up being that he will be a Jr and Sr... Maybe I'm one of the few that saw a lot of growth at the end of the season but I think by the time frank finishes his SU career we will look at him like we look at Scoop now and realize we had a good thing.

All that being said Greene would be nice to have for depth and play making ability off the bench. That's something we haven't had in a guard in a few years.

It's a very weak class for high level PG's in 2017. Which is why I've been saying that Q. Green is the most important recruit in the class. Matt Coleman would be the next best that we were involved with before that is on Green's level besides Duval.

It's a very weak class for high level PG's in 2017. Which is why I've been saying that Q. Green is the most important recruit in the class. Matt Coleman would be the next best that we were involved with before that is on Green's level besides Duval.

I also think he's the most important because if we get Quade, the other targets are going to want to play with him. He's a recruit we can build the class around.

It doesn't seem like we are very active with the alternatives. It's still early in the '17 recruiting season, but to paraphrase Yogi Berra, "it gets late early around here."

As much as I want Greene I don't see him passing frank in the starting line up being that he will be a Jr and Sr... Maybe I'm one of the few that saw a lot of growth at the end of the season but I think by the time frank finishes his SU career we will look at him like we look at Scoop now and realize we had a good thing.

All that being said Greene would be nice to have for depth and play making ability off the bench. That's something we haven't had in a guard in a few years.

Greene won't be coming off the bench. He would start from day 1.

Greene won't be coming off the bench. He would start from day 1.
If that's what happens then that's worse case senior for next years team. And it is going to be a very long year.

If Frank shows he's the starting point guard next year JB will not bench a upper class man that has proven himself for a Fresh.

And if Frank does show he is the guy Q is going to have to make a big decision on if he wants to play the 6th man role (Dions role) for SU or a team like UK or Duke.

As much as everyone wants to believe Q will be the man for SU for 4 years if Frank can play then Q is going to have a lot of thinking to do.

This is a very real scenario.

If that's what happens then that's worse case senior for next years team. And it is going to be a very long year.

Frankie will be fine next year but if he struggles, you don't think Gillon is a viable point guard option?

Frankie will be fine next year but if he struggles, you don't think Gillon is a viable point guard option?
Frank's a 4 year guy. He has gifted court vision ... but the rest of his game is NRFPT .. and may not be even in 2017 (QG's year). If Frank's offensive game and defense improve, he could be really good. In the meantime, getting distribution, penetration and scoring from the PG position is important ... Gillon does all 3 of those, and so would QG two years out.

Last edited:

If Frank shows he's the starting point guard next year JB will not bench a upper class man that has proven himself for a Fresh.

And if Frank does show he is the guy Q is going to have to make a big decision on if he wants to play the 6th man role (Dions role) for SU or a team like UK or Duke.

As much as everyone wants to believe Q will be the man for SU for 4 years if Frank can play then Q is going to have a lot of thinking to do.

This is a very real scenario.

First of all, Greene has nothing to do with next season, as he's class of 2017.

Second of all, your assertion is inaccurate. It would be great for Frank to emerge as a major contributor. But whether he's ready to start next year or merely come off the bench isn't going to make or break next year's team. Not with Battle / Gillon in the fold.

Greene is an absolute blue chip recruit. He isn't sitting behind anybody. If you think that Howard would be a deterrent to him selecting SU, guess again.

Think Howard's way better than many give him credit for. Him and Roberson are the two guys I believe will shock orange nation early next year. That being said, if Greens that great where he comes in an takes the spot? Great, fantastic, get me another championship.

First of all, Greene has nothing to do with next season, as he's class of 2017.

Second of all, your assertion is inaccurate. It would be great for Frank to emerge as a major contributor. But whether he's ready to start next year or merely come off the bench isn't going to make or break next year's team. Not with Battle / Gillon in the fold.

Greene is an absolute blue chip recruit. He isn't sitting behind anybody. If you think that Howard would be a deterrent to him selecting SU, guess again.
Would we go all frosh backcourt with Quade and Ham?

Status
Not open for further replies.