Class of 2017 - PG Quade Green (PA) Verbaled to Kentucky | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 PG Quade Green (PA) Verbaled to Kentucky

Status
Not open for further replies.
My guess is for 2017 we reel in Quade Green, Dhamir Cosby-Roundtree, and the third player is TBD. I think we have a decent shot at Lonnie Walker. Who has a great throwback basketball name. Sounds like a 60's guard who dunked on everybody.

Last edited:
Just watched Green's mixtape from August. I like what I see. I'd like him better if he were 6-3 rather than 5-11, but it is what it is. He's got a pretty strong handle and looks like he can really stroke it. I don't like the fact that his delivery kinda swoops around from right, to left, back to the right on his release now and then, but overall it looks like he's got pretty solid mechanics. His guide hand kinda gets a little high and twisted on a few of his shots...is it weird to anyone else that his release looks smoother on pull ups than it does on set jumpers?

All that said, he looks like a very good player. Not a typical SU point guard (lately) but I'll take a 5-11 PG from Eastern PA who can really stroke the three. We've had good luck with those in the past.

That would be very disappointing if that's who we end up with. That's below average talent for the ACC.
Well no. That class would be 2 top 50 kids, and a 3 star project. It would be ranked top 15 nationally. Not sure how top 15 nationwide is below average in the ACC

Well no. That class would be 2 top 50 kids, and a 3 star project. It would be ranked top 15 nationally.
Not sure how top 15 nationwide is below average in the ACC
Its more about readiness then ranking.

With the scholarship reduction we need one isolation stud period for 017-18.
We can't wait for 3-4 guys that aren't ready to be a solid 3rd option to their junior year.

Just look at last year, Roberson, BJ, Patterson and Obokoh just weren't ready to step up. Ennis left after one year forcing Kaleb to play another 15 minutes per game that could have waited a year, and McCullough/Dajuan went down with a injury.

To summarize, That is 5 guys who we thought would score more(Roberson was still pretty solid though), Obokoh still wasn't ready, and Joseph had to cram more minutes. 7 guys who were off. Heck we only have 9 scholorships now, not 13. We really need to get a few back and should without problem.

We need another isolation stud for 017-18 though period. Malachi, and my guess Lydon will both be two and done and I think Battle along with Ennis will be our best all around freshmen since Melo.

That leaves us with Moyer(I think he is here atleast 2), maybe a senior Kaleb, Franklin and maybe a senior Chuckwu. That's not all that much. Its also not hard for us to get in on a top transfer maybe.

At the same time I am really all in on another one/two and done to join Battle and Moyers class. Part of me is pulling for a one and done to make 2 years from now way over the top, the other part of me says I would love to have a sophomore leader join the year after. We will have room for both, Either way.

I remember back when Dion Waiters only played 22.5 mpg as a sophomore and went 4th in the draft. That was just the right number of minutes for him in many ways.

Last edited:
Here's a full NG game for anyone looking to check out Quade and DCR...

Quade had 22, DCR had 8 in this game.

("8!? Geez!" - remember, they are both only sophomores in this game)

I'm more inclined to think we line up a class like; Quade Green, Nick Richards, and a wing. Lots of time between now and then though. I'm still holding onto the hope that Moustapha Diagne can be a part of our team in 2017 (I know that is likely quite naive, like hoping for Robert Washington to change his mind on the football side).

I'm more inclined to think we line up a class like; Quade Green, Nick Richards, and a wing. Lots of time between now and then though. I'm still holding onto the hope that Moustapha Diagne can be a part of our team in 2017 (I know that is likely quite naive, like hoping for Robert Washington to change his mind on the football side).

Maybe Jordan Tucker?

Cosby-Roundtree definitely needs work but I can see why the staff is intrigued by him. Green is a really smooth shooter. Wish he was a few inches taller, but it is what it is.

Cosby-Roundtree definitely needs work but I can see why the staff is intrigued by him. Green is a really smooth shooter. Wish he was a few inches taller, but it is what it is.

There was so much talk about us getting the elite of the elite in 2017 and suddenly all that talk has died down. I like Green as a player like you, but it's frustrating we have backed off guys who might be immediate contributors.

Cusefan0307 said:
There was so much talk about us getting the elite of the elite in 2017 and suddenly all that talk has died down. I like Green as a player like you, but it's frustrating we have backed off guys who might be immediate contributors.

There's a reason. The coaches can read the tea leaves.

There's a reason. The coaches can read the tea leaves.

I wish they would start writing their own tea leaf messages. I get the sense of coasting right now, and coasting, with only 10 scholarships is not a recipe for success, for now or the future. There is seemingly no desire to work hard for any player anymore. They either notice a player early and get him to commit early, or they settle for lower talent. No drive to keep on top talent.

I understand they have found extremely good players (Noel/Davis) early on, only to have a sudden turn on the recruiting front at the very end. And that can leave a person with a foul taste in the mouth/jaded view. But the moment you give in, you are lost. Gary Williams anyone?

I get what you guys are saying and it's true. We shouldn't have to back off, settle, etc. But in the case of Quade Green? Not a chance. He's the real deal. Great handle, good shooter, scorer, and agile, speedy guard. I really like his game. Not our typical size at the point or combo, but he's a stud.

This kid reminds me of Ryan Boatright, but even tinier.

Boatright was no where near the shooter Green is at the same stage but he was considerably more explosive athletically. I can see the comparison though.

I wish they would start writing their own tea leaf messages. I get the sense of coasting right now, and coasting, with only 10 scholarships is not a recipe for success, for now or the future. There is seemingly no desire to work hard for any player anymore. They either notice a player early and get him to commit early, or they settle for lower talent. No drive to keep on top talent.

I understand they have found extremely good players (Noel/Davis) early on, only to have a sudden turn on the recruiting front at the very end. And that can leave a person with a foul taste in the mouth/jaded view. But the moment you give in, you are lost. Gary Williams anyone?

This is precisely the gist of Francis's podcasts on recruiting the last few years or specifically G recruiting lately. He is convinced that when Hopkins takes over it won't be a problem.

This is precisely the gist of Francis's podcasts on recruiting the last few years or specifically G recruiting lately. He is convinced that when Hopkins takes over it won't be a problem.

When Hopkins takes over and we have 13 ships again. Then you have the program guys already in the fold so if you miss out on a Duval in the 11th hour its not a killer blow. I do think Hopkins is the type who will not back away because the heavy hitters get involved or because he will have to recruit the kid right till the last signing day.

Im not a huge fan of getting Green at this juncture, there are just too many moving pieces right now. We still may have Joseph as a Sr in 2017. Would also like to see how Howard progresses first, he may have quality point guard potential. And there is the very off chance Battle comes back for a another year, or another point guard pops up in the recruiting process. I think we need guards in this offense who can create their own shot and as of now im not sold on Green being able to do that against elite ACC competition. He is still young so who knows, these things can change. Nothing wrong with keeping in close contact with the kid but I wouldn't want to pull the trigger at this juncture in time. JMO

Im not a huge fan of getting Green at this juncture, there are just too many moving pieces right now. We still may have Joseph as a Sr in 2017. Would also like to see how Howard progresses first, he may have quality point guard potential. And there is the very off chance Battle comes back for a another year, or another point guard pops up in the recruiting process. I think we need guards in this offense who can create their own shot and as of now im not sold on Green being able to do that against elite ACC competition. He is still young so who knows, these things can change. Nothing wrong with keeping in close contact with the kid but I wouldn't want to pull the trigger at this juncture in time. JMO

He's got great skills and talent, it's just his size that is questionable IMO. Hopefully he has somewhat of a late growth spurt.

Some of you guys act like we are recruiting a Mitch Cumstein or something. This is a high level guy with offers from some major schools. yeah I get that we give up easy on some big fish, but we aren't going after low level power 5 talent either.

Status
Not open for further replies.