Class of 2017 - PG Quade Green (PA) Verbaled to Kentucky | Page 72 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 PG Quade Green (PA) Verbaled to Kentucky

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard Francis say he likes the attention. You want attention, Quade? Forget the Kentucky visit. Commit at Madness. Watch the place explode, and achieve instant "Rockstar" status.

Welcome to Syracuse.
Want him to commit on his visit? Shown him the Dino video.

If that is true i wonder what role exactly that leaves for FH? I can picture QG and FH playing together, as many have mentioned- Scoop/Triche and Scoop/Dion had similar roles in terms of two good ball handlers playing together in recent years. But if they were to play together in the backcourt i pictured QG being more of the 2 or scoring guard. But "promised the keys" implies to me that QG would be the point guard running the show and not so much FH...
Quade can play off the ball as well, Frank can too but not as well as Quade. Frank will get his minutes even when Quade is here

It seems like it's been a LONG,long time since we've had the warm fuzzy feeling that's associated with a regular, bonafide, commitment from an incoming freshman type kid. And it's certainly been a long time since we got one in what would be considered the normal time frame for such a commitment. I suppose we had T. Thompson... but even that seemed to stretch on for what seemed an eternity.

Paging Mr. Green... Mr. Q. Green... please report to the Melo Center immediately.
Thank you.

It seems like it's been a LONG,long time since we've had the warm fuzzy feeling that's associated with a regular, bonafide, commitment from an incoming freshman type kid. And it's certainly been a long time since we got one in what would be considered the normal time frame for such a commitment. I suppose we had T. Thompson... but even that seemed to stretch on for what seemed an eternity.

Paging Mr. Green... Mr. Q. Green... please report to the Melo Center immediately.
Thank you.

It's all good! Warm fuzzies on the way.

If that is true i wonder what role exactly that leaves for FH? I can picture QG and FH playing together, as many have mentioned- Scoop/Triche and Scoop/Dion had similar roles in terms of two good ball handlers playing together in recent years. But if they were to play together in the backcourt i pictured QG being more of the 2 or scoring guard. But "promised the keys" implies to me that QG would be the point guard running the show and not so much FH...
Word is Frank has improved his jumpshot tremendously this offseason. Howard has enough size to play the 2 in the zone, so there's no reason why we can't have both play a lot next year. Our passing would be beyond belief.

I've heard Francis say he likes the attention. You want attention, Quade? Forget the Kentucky visit. Commit at Madness. Watch the place explode, and achieve instant "Rockstar" status.

Welcome to Syracuse.
I think that's a NCAA violation.

Word is Frank has improved his jumpshot tremendously this offseason. Howard has enough size to play the 2 in the zone, so there's no reason why we can't have both play a lot next year. Our passing would be beyond belief.

Remember when Donna wrote an article early last season about how Kaleb had massively improved his outside shot and was shooting better than anyone else on the team? :p Jokes aside, for me, I'm very hopeful that Frank can be a legitimate scoring threat for us with an improved shot, but I don't think I'll buy into it until I've seen him consistently perform at that level halfway through the season. It will be huge for us this year if he can be more than just a brilliant passer (I absolutely LOVE his passing ability), especially if Chukwu is on the floor at the same time, since we likely will already be playing 4 on 5 on offense.

I'm sure it's been mentioned on one of these pages, but has Quade talked about when he'll make his decision known?

I'm sure it's been mentioned on one of these pages, but has Quade talked about when he'll make his decision known?
He hasn't set a date, but he has said that he will decide and sign during the early signing period in November.

He was recently quoted as saying "I'll commit when it feels like the right time to commit." He had previously given other timelines, some of which have passed. I am hoping the answer Friday 10/21.

Jeez, UK fans realllly think their going to land both Green and Young. Their forum is comical. They should be confident with recruiting but that is just not happening at all. Not to mention Green in an interview over the summer laughed in a reporters face who asked if hed commit to a school that Young went too.

Jeez, UK fans realllly think their going to land both Green and Young. Their forum is comical. They should be confident with recruiting but that is just not happening at all. Not to mention Green in an interview over the summer laughed in a reporters face who asked if hed commit to a school that Young went too.
Maybe the just found cap space for two elite point guards?

I thought I read Green was going to attend UK madness. Is it significant or meaningful he was at Orange madness?

While it sounds like we are in great shape, it seems like part of this could be influenced by Trae Young, who UK is all in on. If he goes to OU instead of UK, that could cause concern. But my guess is the dominos will fall in place for a commit to us soon.

I gotta admit. I HATE this new way of recruiting where most decent players wait's until their senior year to pick a school. I know the thought is ya get more talk about your brand that way. But I don't think that means crap once games start. Are NBA scouts really going to think "yeah he had 3 pts per game last year and got benched for bad play... but did you see how long Kansas and UCLA were chasing him the year before?" If I were in that spot I'd do what Waiters and Moyer did and have a school years out so those fans could start to know and love me long before I arrived. But... that's me.

Last edited:
I gotta admit. I HATE this new way of recruiting where most decent players wait's until their senior year to pick a school. I know the thought is ya get more talk about your brand that way. But I don't think that means crap once games start. Are NBA scouts really going to think "yeah he had 3 pts per game last year and got benched for bad play... but did you see how long Kansas and UCLA were chasing him the year before?" If I were in that spot I'd do what Waiters and Miyer dI'd and have a school years out so those fans could start to know and love me long before I arrived. But... that's me.
Um, I don't think it's about "building their brand". This is a life changing decision - if someone like Waiters knows when he's a sophomore that he wants to go to Syracuse, that's great. But these kids have every right to take as much time as they need. They are being approached and talked to by dozens of coaches, it is a lot to handle. Committing early has plenty of downsides - you don't knw the roster construction that far in advance usually. Coaching staff change can happen, you can make friends in AAU and decide you want to play with them, you could get an unexpected offer late in the process and take a visit and fall in love with the school, etc.

It's more hyped now because of social media. But I have no problem with how Quade is handling this. He's 18 years old, if he wants a free trip to Lexington he should take it. This might be the only time in their life that these kids are courted like this (unless they make NBA free agency); they have every right to do it how they want - they don't owe us anything.

Um, I don't think it's about "building their brand". This is a life changing decision - if someone like Waiters knows when he's a sophomore that he wants to go to Syracuse, that's great. But these kids have every right to take as much time as they need. They are being approached and talked to by dozens of coaches, it is a lot to handle. Committing early has plenty of downsides - you don't knw the roster construction that far in advance usually. Coaching staff change can happen, you can make friends in AAU and decide you want to play with them, you could get an unexpected offer late in the process and take a visit and fall in love with the school, etc.

It's more hyped now because of social media. But I have no problem with how Quade is handling this. He's 18 years old, if he wants a free trip to Lexington he should take it. This might be the only time in their life that these kids are courted like this (unless they make NBA free agency); they have every right to do it how they want - they don't owe us anything.
Ya completely missed the point. I wasn't speaking in regards to a specific recruit. Obviously everyone has the right to be comfortable in their decision. However, recruiting in general has shifted to later and later commitments. That obviously not because kids across the board are less sure of themselves or somehow have less information to decide upon than they did a decade ago. It has a lot more with AAU teams and professional careers being the long term goal. Now here is the important part... at no point did I imply these kids are somehow wronging anyone for doing it this way. Simply that I as a fan, completely selfishly, hate it. Lol

Ya completely missed the point. I wasn't speaking in regards to a specific recruit. Obviously everyone has the right to be comfortable in their decision. However, recruiting in general has shifted to later and later commitments. That obviously not because kids across the board are less sure of themselves or somehow have less information to decide upon than they did a decade ago. It has a lot more with AAU teams and professional careers being the long term goal. Now here is the important part... at no point did I imply these kids are somehow wronging anyone for doing it this way. Simply that I as a fan, completely selfishly, hate it. Lol

I disagree with you on this. I'm not sure players are waiting longer overall, but we are recruiting a much higher level player this year and those guys are a different ball game.

Independent of that, players are probably waiting longer to commit but not necessarily because of the reasons you give. I would guess it has a lot more to do with the fact that the elite teams have such insane roster turnover now. 15 years ago, you had to think about securing your spot on an elite team before that spot got taken. Now, the good teams are struggling to fill their spots because so many players are bolting to the NBA or transferring because they didn't get 30 mpg while playing behind a first round pick. In the 17 class for instance, Syracuse, UK, Duke and many more elite teams are basically replacing their entire rosters. Any top player doesn't have to make sure he gets in before the spots are gone.

I disagree with you on this. I'm not sure players are waiting longer overall, but we are recruiting a much higher level player this year and those guys are a different ball game.

Independent of that, players are probably waiting longer to commit but not necessarily because of the reasons you give. I would guess it has a lot more to do with the fact that the elite teams have such insane roster turnover now. 15 years ago, you had to think about securing your spot on an elite team before that spot got taken. Now, the good teams are struggling to fill their spots because so many players are bolting to the NBA or transferring because they didn't get 30 mpg while playing behind a first round pick. In the 17 class for instance, Syracuse, UK, Duke and many more elite teams are basically replacing their entire rosters. Any top player doesn't have to make sure he gets in before the spots are gone.

I find the waiting longer and longer discussion interesting. I wonder how it compares to most seniors trying to pick a school. Some know where they want to go early on and are confident in that decision. A lot more of them aren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.