Class of 2016 - PG/SG Markelle Fultz (MD) Verballed to Washington | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 PG/SG Markelle Fultz (MD) Verballed to Washington

We'll eventually get good players like we always do. I think the biggest problem for the staff to handle at the moment is dealing with the negative recruiting by others and the perception of the program. We're in the mix for a bunch of top 50 players in the 16-17 classes and several notable five stars. I wouldn't go in full panic mode until we really strike out on a bunch of other targets besides Battle.
Francis, I agree with you. But how much of an issue do you think it is for class of 2017 kids (like Duval) that 2017/18 is supposed to be JB's last year as HC and the coaching situation is unsettled after that? For any kid anticipating to be a 2 year + player, they can't really be sure who is going to be HC since Hop is not being announced and now there is at least some element of doubt when prior to March there didn't seem to be any doubt. If I was a 2017, 2018 kid I might have uncertainty about SU and you can be sure that is being exploited by our competitors.

We'll eventually get good players like we always do. I think the biggest problem for the staff to handle at the moment is dealing with the negative recruiting by others and the perception of the program. We're in the mix for a bunch of top 50 players in the 16-17 classes and several notable five stars. I wouldn't go in full panic mode until we really strike out on a bunch of other targets besides Battle.
Dean, coming from you it is somewhat of a relief to hear the reassurance that eventually we will get good players like we always do. I think the program would do itself a favor if they were to provide some type of reassurance that Hop was going to assume the reins of the program when JB steps down. With the amount of uncertainty swirling around the program anything which would lend an air of stability could only help withing the realms of the recruiting world.

Francis, I agree with you. But how much of an issue do you think it is for class of 2017 kids (like Duval) that 2017/18 is supposed to be JB's last year as HC and the coaching situation is unsettled after that? For any kid anticipating to be a 2 year + player, they can't really be sure who is going to be HC since Hop is not being announced and now there is at least some element of doubt when prior to March there didn't seem to be any doubt. If I was a 2017, 2018 kid I might have uncertainty about SU and you can be sure that is being exploited by our competitors.
Dean, coming from you it is somewhat of a relief to hear the reassurance that eventually we will get good players like we always do. I think the program would do itself a favor if they were to provide some type of reassurance that Hop was going to assume the reins of the program when JB steps down. With the amount of uncertainty swirling around the program anything which would lend an air of stability could only help withing the realms of the recruiting world.
Good points guys. I think once the new AD gets announced that we'll have some official clarity on Hop being the main guy moving forward when JB steps down.

How did Fultz look this weekend at the Mary Kline?

Unless the staff is 100% certain about Battle, they might as well offer this cat right here. Kid will be a consensus 5 star when the summer is over and he's a much better player and option than the Q. Rose and Howard Washington's of the world.
That was a great call Francis...

Still don't understand why we never showed any interest in him. Crazy good prospect here.

Any particular reason we stayed away from him?

Everybody else on the east coast put a little effort in on him and he went to the same high school as Grant.

Why did he end up at Washington and not somewhere on this coast?

Why did he end up at Washington and not somewhere on this coast?
Washington was his first D1 offer after playing JV in his Sophomore year. They have an east coast assistant(actually coached Dion Waiters and Isaiah Thomas at South Kent), who is tight with the Fultz family. Fultz was actually big on Kentucky and Duke at certain points, but Kentucky had DeAaron Fox as their #1 guy and Duke went with Frank Jackson. The family was always puzzled about SU never showing any interest.

Last edited:
Washington was his first D1 offer after playing JV in his Sophomore. They have an east coast assistant(actually coached Dion Waiters and Isaiah Thomas at South Kent), who is tight with the Fultz family. Fultz was actually big on Kentucky and Duke at certain points, but Kentucky had DeAaron Fox as their #1 guy and Duke went with Frank Jackson. The family was always puzzled about SU never showing any interest.
:bang::bang::bang:

Should've put all our eggs in that basket...

Thanks for the info, as always.

Washington was his first D1 offer after playing JV in his Sophomore. They have an east coast assistant(actually coached Dion Waiters and Isaiah Thomas at South Kent), who is tight with the Fultz family. Fultz was actually big on Kentucky and Duke at certain points, but Kentucky had DeAaron Fox as their #1 guy and Duke went with Frank Jackson. The family was always puzzled about SU never showing any interest.

All in with Tyus?

Yep. Crazy thing is that at this point, Tyus hasn't shown the on ball playing making skills that we were expecting that a guy like Fultz is currently showing out but wasting over at Washington.
I saw him in person just before Christmas. Really looked good. Imagine if he was playing for a head coach who knew anything about basketball