PG Situation/Battle at Point in 17-18? | Syracusefan.com

PG Situation/Battle at Point in 17-18?

HakAttack

Shirt World Hater, Script Jersey Lover.
Others were posting this in other threads but IMO it deserves its own thread. I would absolutely put Battle at the point next year. He's shown he's got the handle and can actually blow by guys. He can also finish at the rim, which is something that Gillon and Howard have completely failed at this year.

Larger issue is the PG turnover. The last five years have produced five different PG, with Howard this year being the sixth in six years. Hard to gain year to year traction when there's such turnover at arguably college basketball's most important position.

2012: Scoop
2013: MCW
2014: Ennis
2015: Joseph
2016: Gbinjie
2017: Howard

Others were posting this in other threads but IMO it deserves its own thread. I would absolutely put Battle at the point next year. He's shown he's got the handle and can actually blow by guys. He can also finish at the rim, which is something that Gillon and Howard have completely failed at this year.

Larger issue is the PG turnover. The last five years have produced five different PG, with Howard this year being the sixth in six years. Hard to gain year to year traction when there's such turnover at arguably college basketball's most important position.

I agree and have stated Battle would be our best point even TODAY. The problem seems to be we then don't have a 2/3. White is fine as a catch and shoot I guess the reason most think he can't play the 2 is defense. We are just so thin I guess but who is coming in that can play the 2 or 3 when we only landed second tier big guys? I hope we can pull off something for next year on the international or transfer market. Moyer is a small forward right? Who else is there?

Just a few years ago we were on such a run. We had Flynn and MCW as lottery picks and Ennis a first rounder and in between them Scoop and Triche were solid. Amazing how quickly things change.

Just a few years ago we were on such a run. We had Flynn and MCW as lottery picks and Ennis a first rounder and in between them Scoop and Triche were solid. Amazing how quickly things change.

Yeah, we complain about not having length this year at the top of the zone, but that wasn't a problem for Flynn or Triche.

The difference is having PGs who can run an offense without major limitations.

Yeah, we complain about not having length this year at the top of the zone, but that wasn't a problem for Flynn or Triche.

Triche was 6'4 ... flynn was short but fast as a bullet during his college days and a different level of talent than Gillon.

Gillon is a mid-major guard getting exposed...

PG Howard
SG autry
SF Moyer
PF TT
C Chuku

Lydon and Battle are first rounders

I guess we could put Battle at the point and Ayala at the 2? 3 would be?

AZcuse77 Is that Liv Boeree in your avatar pic?

On board with battle at PG because of what he's shown recently but it's not like we can just mail order decent 2s and 3s from amazon... unless you're U.K.

I find it hard to believe that there are no perimeter players out there that are decent players that wouldn't come to Syracuse. We're friggin Syracuse. With available playing time. We'll get somebody. Right?

I find it hard to believe that there are no perimeter players out there that are decent players that wouldn't come to Syracuse. We're friggin Syracuse. With available playing time. We'll get somebody. Right?

I really don't remember if Gillon was a late add or if we really thought he could play at ACC level coming from CSU. Was he that impressive or was that a desperation move from losing Richardson to the draft and no other options? I mean he was a 2 anyways obviously Gbinije was gone. How are we in this bad a spot?

Final Fours don't matter all THAT much to recruits I think or else Kansas and Arizona shouldn't be outrecruiting us constantly. We just haven't been able to play with the big boys in terms of the reloading game. That, the sanctions, and the staff messing up on certain player evaluations...guards especially where there is little margin for error. I really worry about next season, however.

Last edited:
Battle at PG in the league? Maybe. Battle at PG next year at Cuse? No.

I can't tell if this is a "he gone" post or if you think he cant run point at Cuse. At this timestamp its about 25% max we make the tourney. Battle could blow up the last 12 ACC games but I think he's gone after next year.

Wasn't triche a legit 6'4"?

Triche was 6'4 ... flynn was short but fast as a bullet during his college days and a different level of talent than Gillon.

Gillon is a mid-major guard getting exposed...
Whoops. Should have continued reading.

I really don't remember if Gillon was a late add or if we really thought he could play at ACC level coming from CSU. Was he that impressive or was that a desperation move from losing Richardson to the draft and no other options? I mean he was a 2 anyways obviously Gbinije was gone. How are we in this bad a spot?

I think Joseph, Mike, Mali, Cooney leaving gave us like one guard and ballhandler in Howard, right? But he was raw still. White was more of a desperation get for filling a shooting void when Mali left. Ugh.

Okay, so Frank isn't a great shooter with the ball. But he's shot pretty well in a lot of games this year so the potential is there. I think.

What if we made battle the PG and moved Frank to the 2G? Worth a try at this point.

I think Joseph, Mike, Mali leaving gave us like one guard and ballhandler in Howard, right? But he was raw still. White was more of a desperation get for filling a shooting void when Mali left. Ugh.

Is howard a great ballhandler? He played 30 seconds... picked up his dribble just over half court then made a garbage pass with his man covered. Then JB "we can't just jerk these guys out they lose confidence" pulled him immediately and we never saw him again despite Gillon being awful. They both are not good.

Is howard a great ballhandler? He played 30 seconds... picked up his dribble just over half court then made a garbage pass with his man covered. Then JB "we can't just jerk these guys out they lose confidence" pulled him immediately and we never saw him again despite Gillon being awful. They both are not good.

Oh I know. I should've put ballhandler in quotes or something. It's elementary stuff these guys are messing up. Really frustrating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom