Class of 2017 - PG Trevon Duval (DE) to Duke | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 PG Trevon Duval (DE) to Duke

AZOrange said:
Thomas Bryant went to Indiana to get away from his mother. Nothing more.
this 1000x

You can’t tell me that the sanctions and rumors had no impact on recruiting. It seems as though we don’t even look at top kids anymore. I know a kid who liked SU and know his dad very well. Because of what was going on we could not even get a look. This kid is currently on the UNC roster and guard. Do you think it’s a coincidence that we don’t have big time big or pg. on this roster? Call it what it is. We need to step it up big time on the recruiting front.

Last edited:
You can’t tell me that the sanctions and rumors had no impact on recruiting. It seems as though we don’t even look at top kids anymore. I know a kid who liked SU and know his dad very well. Because of what was going on we could not even get a look. This kid is currently on the UNC roster and guard. Do you think it’s a coincidence that we don’t have big time big or pg. on this roster? Call it what it is. We need to step it up big time on the recruiting front.

Syracuse McDonalds All Americans by Decade:

1970's - 1
1980's - 7
1990's - 3
2000's - 4
2010's - 5 with 4 classes to go.

Don't think recruiting has dropped off. However, I would agree that we have not reacted well to the one-and-done culture. Succession planning has been lacking. We caught lightening in a bottle with Ennis when MCW left, but haven't recovered from Ennis early departure or McCullough's surprising exit after his injury. Granted the 10 man roster restriction exasperated the CMac situation but this year's team would look completely different with Ennis at the point, McCullough at the 4 (sans ACL injury - I know, if not for the injury he was a certain one and done but that's kind of my point) and G at the 3.

Syracuse McDonalds All Americans by Decade:

1970's - 1
1980's - 7
1990's - 3
2000's - 4
2010's - 5 with 4 classes to go.

Don't think recruiting has dropped off. However, I would agree that we have not reacted well to the one-and-done culture. Succession planning has been lacking. We caught lightening in a bottle with Ennis when MCW left, but haven't recovered from Ennis early departure or McCullough's surprising exit after his injury. Granted the 10 man roster restriction exasperated the CMac situation but this year's team would look completely different with Ennis at the point, McCullough at the 4 (sans ACL injury - I know, if not for the injury he was a certain one and done but that's kind of my point) and G at the 3.

I think Grant jumping after '13-14 was a little hard to foresee as well, though if McCullough was still on the roster, that early departure probably wouldn't have mattered as much.

tqY0t.png

Are we still recruiting him? Seems staff backed off when he moved out of NE. Probably a lock for UK.

Are we still recruiting him? Seems staff backed off when he moved out of NE. Probably a lock for UK.
Nope, but who knows if the staff starts calling again. Zona and Maryland are the top teams for him at the moment. UK isn't in the mix much right now.

https://www.sny.tv/college-recruiti...its-baylor-other-trips-in-the-works/165317488

Scratch the 'Cuse off the list. Tre says he hasn't heard from them in the article.
Why am I not surprised that "he hasn't heard from them."Sometimes I wonder what these coaches think about?b Its certainly not playnning beyond their collective noses. I gues Jimmy having his finger up his nose for most of his career has limited his ability to plan ahead in his team's position depth.Transfer of Kaleb is not a huge loss but Obokoh is another matter for next season Lets see how long it will take for Chukwu to foul out ? in his first game.

'

Why am I not surprised that "he hasn't heard from them."Sometimes I wonder what these coaches think about?b Its certainly not playnning beyond their collective noses. I gues Jimmy having his finger up his nose for most of his career has limited his ability to plan ahead in his team's position depth.Transfer of Kaleb is not a huge loss but Obokoh is another matter for next season Lets see how long it will take for Chukwu to foul out ? in his first game.

'

We're still going to have Coleman and even Lydon if necessary. Chino is not a huge loss.

JB won't go that far. Barely gets to past NJ anymore to recruit.

Sigh. That's apparently the case these days. It seems so elitist and stupid.

'
Maybe they've decided that 2 or 3 years of Quade Green is better than one year of Trevon Duval.

No doubt there is guessing and gambling involved in recruiting these days.

Sigh. That's apparently the case these days. It seems so elitist and stupid.
Just saw that Cal, Self and Brown are doing a clinic at RC in NJ for coaches today. JB is way past doing that, and it stinks. Good PR and def helps on the trail.

And maybe JB likes his chances with Diallo better than Duval. A backcourt of Quade and Hami would be stellar!

Eh...it seems pretty clear we've settled into being a "regional" program with the DMV being the furthest were willing to go for a recruit.

Duval is so far and away the best guard in the class and we were so high on his list it's amazing to think we just cut off all communication

Hard to believe SU doesn't have a G5 parked at Hancock Airport so we could travel all over the country

Eh...it seems pretty clear we've settled into being a "regional" program with the DMV being the furthest were willing to go for a recruit.
frankly there is no reason we should be settling. JB is getting old and doesn't want to bother. It's like trying to hit on chicks in armory square but deciding you only want to camp out at Benjamin's and go home at 11:30.

frankly there is no reason we should be settling. JB is getting old and doesn't want to bother. It's like trying to hit on chicks in armory square but deciding you only want to camp out at Benjamin's and go home at 11:30.

Great analogy

Duval is so far and away the best guard in the class and we were so high on his list it's amazing to think we just cut off all communication

Hard to believe SU doesn't have a G5 parked at Hancock Airport so we could travel all over the country

Ha! Yeah. They could buy a decent used G5 with moderate hours on it for say $40 million, then figure $250k per year in flight crew and hangar costs, add in about $6000 per hour of flight time, plus parts, maintenance, and crew proficiency costs of what, say $300k per year maybe. Shocked they don't have one!! Shocked!

Just saw that Cal, Self and Brown are doing a clinic at RC in NJ for coaches today. JB is way past doing that, and it stinks. Good PR and def helps on the trail.
Apparently Hop was there too. No JB though