Class of 2016 - PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI | Page 125 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI

Got to a point where I can't stop doing it. :eek: Feel guilty if I don't do it across the board, so I try to find positive in nearly every post. On the plus side, my typing fingers are seasoned and my "sega thumb" takes a back seat to nobody!
Sonic-the-hedgehog-thumbs-up.png
planning on putting my kid through college with all the likes.

tee1222 said:
Yup, I just think the staff is showing the kid good faith. Imagine that, in this day and age?
maybe they're updating him about the plans for the dome renovation

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but DraftExpress had a small write-up on Tyus Battle from the US Junior National Team camp:

Tyus Battle, 6-5, SG/SF, Edison, NF, Class of 2016

Strengths
-Very developed frame. Big shoulders. Strong lower body. Not afraid of physicality on either end of the floor.
-6' 5” with a 6' 8” wingspan – solid measurements if he's able to transition into more of a SG than a SF. Measured closer to 6'7” in shoes previously.
-Good athlete. Can play above the rim in transition. Long strides.
-Excellent defender. Moves really well laterally. Aggressive defensively. Will pressure the ball and fight over screens. Multi-positional defender at the college level.
-Brings a level of toughness to the floor. Crashes the offensive glass with regularity
-Solid pull up game. Gets good rise on his jumper. Best in mid-range spots, but can make an open three.

Weaknesses
-Fairly limited ball handler. Can change speeds a little bit but is mostly limited to basic straight line drives.
-Not comfortable creating vs pressure, especially going to his left.
-Isn't quite as explosive as he looks. Struggles to finish effectively around the basket at times
-Career 40.9% from two. Doesn't get all the way to the rim as often as you would hope. Shoots a lot of pull up jumpers.
-Can make threes but has a slight hitch on his jumper. Shoots on the way down at times. Better off the dribble.

Outlook:Battle showed out as a defensive stopper type who can get out in transition and make an occasional spot three or pull up jumper. There isn't a ton to Battle's game on the offensive end, as he has quite a bit of room to improve his shot-creation skills and shooting consistency, but the Edison native will have no problem stepping into the ACC as a freshman and defending at a high level.

From DraftExpress.comhttp://www.draftexpress.com/#ixzz3phkXlOO8
http://www.draftexpress.com

Is that description about Battle or MCW?

Haha, right? It's really funny reading the old scouting reports on MCW though. A couple quotes:

November 2010
"He's the type of player who wants and needs the ball in his hands all the time, looking extremely impatient to get it back any time he gives it up to a teammate. It's not rare to see him barking and clapping at them incessantly, showing bad body language and somewhat of a star mentality on a team that doesn't really have many options outside of him. He can make shots (inconsistently) with his feet set, gets to the free throw line at a great rate and is capable of making some impressive passes off the dribble, but has a tendency to drive into brick walls and will heave up some very questionable shots from time to time, particularly pulling up from behind the arc early in possessions."

January 2011 (3 months later)
"Possessing a somewhat awkward but very controlled handle, Carter-Williams has no problem getting wherever he wants on the floor while being capable of scoring from anywhere also. He is extremely smooth pulling up into his shot with range to well behind the three-point arc. From behind the arc, he can maintain balance and hit shots with a hand in his face frequently, showing a ton of prowess even with the ridiculous defensive attention teams pay him."

October 2012 (after freshman year at SU)
"As a shooter, Carter-Williams has good form on his jump shot and has range out to the collegiate three point line and beyond. Very comfortable in catch and shoot situations, Carter-Williams gets good elevation and has a high release point, allowing him to hit at a good clip even when the shot is well contested."

Haha, right? It's really funny reading the old scouting reports on MCW though. A couple quotes:

November 2010
"He's the type of player who wants and needs the ball in his hands all the time, looking extremely impatient to get it back any time he gives it up to a teammate. It's not rare to see him barking and clapping at them incessantly, showing bad body language and somewhat of a star mentality on a team that doesn't really have many options outside of him. He can make shots (inconsistently) with his feet set, gets to the free throw line at a great rate and is capable of making some impressive passes off the dribble, but has a tendency to drive into brick walls and will heave up some very questionable shots from time to time, particularly pulling up from behind the arc early in possessions."

January 2011 (3 months later)
"Possessing a somewhat awkward but very controlled handle, Carter-Williams has no problem getting wherever he wants on the floor while being capable of scoring from anywhere also. He is extremely smooth pulling up into his shot with range to well behind the three-point arc. From behind the arc, he can maintain balance and hit shots with a hand in his face frequently, showing a ton of prowess even with the ridiculous defensive attention teams pay him."

October 2012 (after freshman year at SU)
"As a shooter, Carter-Williams has good form on his jump shot and has range out to the collegiate three point line and beyond. Very comfortable in catch and shoot situations, Carter-Williams gets good elevation and has a high release point, allowing him to hit at a good clip even when the shot is well contested."

SI's current NBA preview on MCW: "He creates no space on the floor and he's not a high-energy player. Given his lack of shooting, it's hard to keep him on the court if he's not doing something else at an elite level and I don't know what that would be." This from a "rival scout" looking at the Bucks.

They did say a "telling number" for the Bucks was MCW's 2.0 steals average, nothing that when Jason Kidd too over the team went from 28th in the league in steals to 1st.

SI's current NBA preview on MCW: "He creates no space on the floor and he's not a high-energy player. Given his lack of shooting, it's hard to keep him on the court if he's not doing something else at an elite level and I don't know what that would be." This from a "rival . . . . . " looking at the Bucks.

They did say a "telling number" for the Bucks was MCW's 2.0 steals average, nothing that when Jason Kidd too over the team went from 28th in the league in steals to 1st.

Yeah, as a Bucks fan, I get the spacing issues that he can create, but he's a serious difference maker defensively. He might be the best defensive player on the team and they were a top 3 defense last year. He also helps a lot in terms of rebounding from the PG position.

At the end of the day, Milwaukee will sink or swim with Giannis and Jabari's development. If they don't develop into good or above-average shooters/scorers, MCW's lack of a shot won't matter because this team won't be going anywhere anyways. If they do develop, then MCW's lack of a shot won't hinder the team too much because they'll have good spacing from 3/5 positions on the floor at a given time.

I expect MCW to get better on open 3's under Kidd. Remember he started out as a poor shooter but turned himself into a threat because of floor spacing issues. He will stress that with MCW and also still allow him to play his game.

This is about Tyus so I will leave it here, but I think this was the best possible thing to happen to MCW. He is now surrounded by two potential stars who he can get the ball to on offense and Kidd is someone that I think he should tailor his game after and be mentored by. Kidd was terrible shooter when he entered the NBA and needed his career as the second best three point shooter. Their games are very similar and this will only help MCW that much more, just glad he got out of philly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom