Class of 2016 - PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI | Page 127 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI

If you/your child was going D1 to an elite program like Cuse you would be happy as heck to have/throw a signing party. Once in a lifetime chance to celebrate.

Nothing to worry about here fellas. He's all orange

I was never worried. Well, when he was a Michigan verbal, I was sad. Now, I'm thrilled. Kid is special.

Last edited:
Signed sealed delivered...he's OURS!!!!
images

Awesome. This is a nice piece of news, even though I'm still steaming over not being able to see the SU - Bonnies game b/c MSG and TW are having a corporate feud over MSGPlus2.

Articulate and gifted kid. Amazing recruiting coup for the program. He and Richardson next season, with KJ and Howard coming off the bench -- are you serious? Big and talented, with veteran depth. Two guards at that talent level are going to score points, and at 6'6 each, the top of the zone is going to look like a wall.

Next year's Front Court is the intriguing part. Since we got a schollie back and Chukwu becomes eligible, our whole front line will rotate up in size. With Chukwu's length in the middle, DC2 and or TR could play on the other side of the basket and we'd immediately become more competitive on the glass. That would free up TL to play the 3 and draw out defenders and rebound on the weak side. We could also run a small ball rotation with Howard or KJ playing guard next to Tyus and Malachai playing the 3.

If we add another big (Goodluck or Thompson), the puzzle will be complete. Then we'd have size and depth all over the Court. Any feeling on which direction we're going with these two?

-

Articulate and gifted kid. Amazing recruiting coup for the program. He and Richardson next season, with KJ and Howard coming off the bench -- are you serious? Big and talented, with veteran depth. Two guards at that talent level are going to score points, and at 6'6 each, the top of the zone is going to look like a wall.

Next year's Front Court is the intriguing part. Since we got a schollie back and Chukwu becomes eligible, our whole front line will rotate up in size. With Chukwu's length in the middle, DC2 and or TR could play on the other side of the basket and we'd immediately become more competitive on the glass. That would free up TL to play the 3 and draw out defenders and rebound on the weak side. We could also run a small ball rotation with Howard or KJ playing guard next to Tyus and Malachai playing the 3.

If we add another big (Goodluck or Thompson), the puzzle will be complete. Then we'd have size and depth all over the Court. Any feeling on which direction we're going with these two?

-

You forgot about Moyer, do you think he is going to redshirt? My guess is he will not redshirt and will get some minutes as well at the 3/4.

You forgot about Moyer, do you think he is going to redshirt? My guess is he will not redshirt and will get some minutes as well at the 3/4.
There are some who are convinced Moyer will start from day one.

-

Nice summary / write up, Reed. My only concern next year is whether and how much we'll miss having a go to scorer in Gbinije and the backcourt experiene of G / Cooney.

Because otherwise, there's a lot to love about next year's squad.

pearl31 said:

They're going to have to find time for Moyer.

Good point, WP. I don't know his game well enough, but at 6'8 and mobile, his position will depend on how well he can shoot it and play D/rebound. This is another piece of the front court puzzle that's going to take us .. what, at least a year to figure out!

Nice summary / write up, Reed. My only concern next year is whether and how much we'll miss having a go to scorer in Gbinije and the backcourt experiene of G / Cooney.

Because otherwise, there's a lot to love about next year's squad.
Having two 5th year guys up top to run the offense, play defense and handle the ball under game pressure is immeasurable. Many fans don't have proper appreciation, especially for TC, because they focus solely on his shooting percentage or shot selection on a given night. This happened after the Wisconsin game -- there was a whole thread devoted to Trevor "Losing the game" for us. Actually, the loss had nothing to do with TC. It was a slug-fest in which one team had left its legs on an airline after a 3 day/3 game tournament. The other team - W - took advantage by letting the air out of the ball, pushing the ball inside against inexperienced players and out-rebounding us by 26. Yet, we were still within a few missed foul shots of winning. Not only was the loss not TC's fault, he and G were the only two guys in double figures. No one blamed Lydon or Richardson, who went 1-10 from deep.

As far as next year, I think you're right that there will be some growing pains early. Battle's likely to start, but he won't walk in and dominate the ACC. We'll miss TC/G's outside shooting, veteran presence and ability to drive the lane. It may be February before the starting backcourt rotation settles down. But I'm not that concerned, because we'll have KJ as a junior and Howard as a soph. adding depth.

For me the big mystery is going to be who starts and who backs up at the 3, 4 and 5. Richardson has already shown that he can play the 3. He's a decent weak-side rebounder with serious springs. So he can start at the 2 or 3. But in conference games, I like Lydon to start at the 3 .. this will stretch the Defense and he can more than hold his own rebounding at that position. Chukwu probably anchors the zone, with DC2 backing him up (assuming his progression continues slowly). TR can play the 4, with Moyer backing up. But I can see playing DC2/Chukwu/Lydon against the bigger ACC teams. On top of that, we may get another big (Goodluck or Thompson) to add depth at the 4/5. That kind of front court size and depth will match any team in the ACC, maybe the country.

Last edited:
Having two 5th year guys up top to run the offense, play defense and handle the ball down under game pressure is immeasurable. Many fans don't have proper appreciation, especially for TC, because they focus solely on his shooting percentage or shot selection on a given night. This happened after the Wisconsin game -- there was a whole thread devoted to Trevor "Losing the game" for us. Actually, the loss had nothing to do with TC. It was a slug-fest in which one team had left its legs on an airline after a 3 day/3 game tournament. The other team - W - took advantage by letting the air out of the ball, pushing the ball inside against inexperienced players and out-rebounding us by 26. Yet, we were still within a few missed foul shots of winning. Not only was the loss not TC's fault, he and G were the only two guys in double figures. No one blamed Lydon or Richardson, who went 1-10 from deep.

As far as next year, I think you're right that there will be some growing pains early. Battle's likely to start, but he won't walk in and dominate the ACC. We'll miss TC/G's outside shooting, veteran presence and ability to drive the lane. It may be February before the starting backcourt rotation settles down. But I'm not that concerned, because we'll have KJ as a junior and Howard as a soph. adding depth.

For me the big mystery is going to be who starts and who backs up at the 3, 4 and 5. Richardson has already shown that he can play the 3 is a decent weak-side rebounder with serious springs. So he can start at the 2 or 3. I like Lydon to start at the 3 .. this will stretch the Defense and he can more than hold his own rebounding at that position. Chukwu probably anchors the zone, with DC2 backing him up (assuming his progression continues slowly). TR can play the 4, with Moyer backing up. But I can see playing DC2/Chukwu/Lydon against the bigger ACC teams. On top of that, we may get another big (Goodluck or Thompson) to add depth at the 4/5. That kind of front court size and depth will match any team in the ACC, maybe the country.

Another great post.

I can't see it. Lydon projects as an ACC POY candidate next year I would think. I like Moyer, but he's not as skilled.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom