Class of 2016 - PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI | Page 133 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI

So last night wrapped up the regular season for Battle's squad. Couple of fun facts:
  • Yesterday, they won 88-44. And 88 minus 44 is? ;)
  • St. Joseph (Met.) finishes up the regular season 16-3 overall, a perfect 12-0 in conference. Looks fun but to be honest, they're pretty much dominant next to the most of the southern NJ teams, no disrespect to the competition.
  • Even though it lists Tyus as having 22 point, 7 rebounds: "St. Joseph (Met.) collected 45 rebounds, 23 assists, 16 blocks and 16 steals as a team". So let me go out on a limb here and assume Battle had at least a few of those assists, steals and blocks.
  • Next up is Montverde (FL) in Thursday so they will have a decent little tuneup before the post season.
Either way, very impressed by this team's run. They have 2 or 3 6'7 guys but not really true college bigs. Battle and Tyree are usually the scoring load for them but a few other quality complimentary players in Frink and Vujadinovic. TOC will be challenging this year, but they have nearly as good a shot as most of the other big names. St Ant's will be tough this year but we'll see. Keep it going, Kid Mamba!
tumblr_lx5f45tTvb1qgqvlmo1_500.gif

I hope he gets some love for the Jordon game .. dying to see what this looks like against other talented kids in his class.

too late for that.
Oh, he's not on the team? Sry, but that sucks. He should be playing .. and if not, I hope he comes in this summer with a huge chip on his shoulder.

So last night wrapped up the regular season for Battle's squad. Couple of fun facts:
  • Yesterday, they won 88-44. And 88 minus 44 is? ;)
  • St. Joseph (Met.) finishes up the regular season 16-3 overall, a perfect 12-0 in conference. Looks fun but to be honest, they're pretty much dominant next to the most of the southern NJ teams, no disrespect to the competition.
  • Even though it lists Tyus as having 22 point, 7 rebounds: "St. Joseph (Met.) collected 45 rebounds, 23 assists, 16 blocks and 16 steals as a team". So let me go out on a limb here and assume Battle had at least a few of those assists, steals and blocks.
  • Next up is Montverde (FL) in Thursday so they will have a decent little tuneup before the post season.
Either way, very impressed by this team's run. They have 2 or 3 6'7 guys but not really true college bigs. Battle and Tyree are usually the scoring load for them but a few other quality complimentary players in Frink and Vujadinovic. TOC will be challenging this year, but they have nearly as good a shot as most of the other big names. St Ant's will be tough this year but we'll see. Keep it going, Kid Mamba!
tumblr_lx5f45tTvb1qgqvlmo1_500.gif
The south Jersey comp has been lol status, but SJM is doing what they're suppose to do. Can't wait to see how Kid Mamba and crew play against better comp as bracket play begins. I personally think St. Ant's, RC, Patrick School, and Hudson Catholic, are all better teams overall. Still though, SJM will have the best player overall and the Battle/Tyree backcourt duo will be tough to beat down the stretch.

http://www.msgvarsity.com/live-schedule
The Montverde game will be live streamed tomorrow at 8:30.

Last edited:
Francis03 said:
The south Jersey comp has been lol status, but SJM is doing what they're suppose to do. Can't wait to see how Kid Mamba and crew play against better comp as bracket play begins. I personally think St. Ant's, RC, Patrick School, and Hudson Catholic, are all better teams overall. Still though, SJM will have the best player overall and the Battle/Tyree backcourt duo will be tough to beat down the stretch. http://www.msgvarsity.com/live-schedule The Montverde game will be live streamed tomorrow at 8:30.

Francis,

Thanks for breathing life back into the recruiting board! Podcasts are the highlight of my work day also.

I watched most of the game vs that very good Utah team on the WatchESPN replay. Man, is that Frank Jackson good and explosive...wow.

Battle is better than I thought. He is much quicker and tight with the ball than I had envisioned. Even more than MCW at the same stage, imo. He is completely comfortable handling the ball and has some nice 1-on-1 ability. Scores very easily. He's easily more advanced than Howard in those categories already, imo. I think he has some good playmaking abilites also. If he learns quickly how to run the offense on the college level then he's going to spend lots of time at the 1.

Thanks both of you guys for sharing. Seemed like from Francis' latest podcast; he suggested that Battle is not a PG but has some playmaking ability like how Dion was used here potentially. Would you say that is accurate? He also seemed to suggest that bringing in a true PG sooner than later, even if he is a grad transfer or whatever could be valuable.

Wouldn't it then make sense to start Frank and have Tyus off the bench ala Dion? Bring Tyus in at the 2, or 1 to spell Frank, move Malachi to the 3 at times like they have done this year with G?

The south Jersey comp has been lol status, but SJM is doing what they're suppose to do. Can't wait to see how Kid Mamba and crew play against better comp as bracket play begins. I personally think St. Ant's, RC, Patrick School, and Hudson Catholic, are all better teams overall. Still though, SJM will have the best player overall and the Battle/Tyree backcourt duo will be tough to beat down the stretch.

http://www.msgvarsity.com/live-schedule
The Montverde game will be live streamed tomorrow at 8:30.
http://highschoolsports.nj.com/tournament/49112/
Brackets for the playoffs were released today. St. Joe's has a very favorable draw in the Non-Public South A. CBA, if they can drag them into an ugly low scoring grind fest might pose the biggest challenge.

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/tournament/49115/
Looks like in the Non-Public South B bracket, that we'll get Patrick School vs Roselle Catholic round 3. Unfortunately it seems like it'll take place in the semis instead of the finals.

St. Anthony's should cruise through their bracket without much of a challenge imo in the Non-Public North B, http://highschoolsports.nj.com/tournament/49109/. While the Non-Public North A, http://highschoolsports.nj.com/tournament/49106/ looks to be the most wide open of them all. Hudson Catholic, which features a pair of high level 2018 guards, would be my pick to come out the winner there.

Last edited:
Battle and company are getting Montverded by...well...Montverde. :(
Seems like from the comments that he started off well but they are losing big late. Down 69-33 less than 5 mins left in the 4th.

St Joe's downed by 30+. Battle might have gotten his (stats will follow), but Montverde wheelin and dealin to make a Coach Cal proud. I heard they paid off some kindergarteners to reclassify to class of 2028. ;) Only kidding. Sorta. :eat popcorn::)

Damn. My coworker went. Ill try to get some details and post.
Thanks. He ended up with 10 points, probably one of his worst outings of the season, but respect to Montverde. Talented and deep.

here's what I got. this is second hand info so if any of it is found to be incorrect, don't kill the messenger.

-monteverde started its second unit. reasons unknown but could be because mismatch was obvious. seems like they went up big early, maybe 14-3
-st joes has a pg headed to ole miss. apparently, he shot them out of the game early. my buddy says the kid is athletic but takes a lot of shots and a lot don't go in. doesn't get why he gets more shots than battle. thought the pg was questionable d1
-monteverde's defense was basically focused on taking battle out of the game. st joes tried running battle off screens but monteverde defender would basically go through the screens no problem and prevent the pass
-when battle got by his defender, monteverde had help defense, again making things very difficult for battle
-battle works very hard for everything. everything he does looks difficult.
-battle made some really nice moves early. he thinks battle is bit like derrick rose but without the super athleticism. I think this is more along the lines of how hard he looks like hes working hard out on the court. he also liked the dion comparison. thought battle's shot looks a bit better,
-monteverde just overwhelmed st joes w size and athleticism.

here's what I got. this is second hand info so if any of it is found to be incorrect, don't kill the messenger.

-monteverde started its second unit. reasons unknown but could be because mismatch was obvious. seems like they went up big early, maybe 14-3
-st joes has a pg headed to ole miss. apparently, he shot them out of the game early. my buddy says the kid is athletic but takes a lot of shots and a lot don't go in. doesn't get why he gets more shots than battle. thought the pg was questionable d1
-monteverde's defense was basically focused on taking battle out of the game. st joes tried running battle off screens but monteverde defender would basically go through the screens no problem and prevent the pass
-when battle got by his defender, monteverde had help defense, again making things very difficult for battle
-battle works very hard for everything. everything he does looks difficult.
-battle made some really nice moves early. he thinks battle is bit like derrick rose but without the super athleticism. I think this is more along the lines of how hard he looks like hes working hard out on the court. he also liked the dion comparison
-monteverde just overwhelmed st joes w size and athleticism.
Tyree is that ole miss pg and I concur about the shot selection. A scoring pg to be sure, but when he's off, it's a rough night. Much thanks again.

The same ole debate: will be interesting to see how much point he plays next year, my guess is a fair amount (altho more of the way G plays "point" than the way say Ennis played point imo), but seems like more of a combo guard like Dion than he seems like MCW,

From that DD article:

You played some off the ball today, you played some on the ball. Do you have a preference?

Battle: It doesn't matter at all. I feel like I'm the kind of guard who can handle the ball, come off screens. I'm comfortable doing either one. Early in my life, I played point guard a lot and then later on I developed the wing. And now I switch back and forth.

Turco: On the lead guard spot what I like about him is his size. He can see over the top, he understands the game, he's able to make the right passes. For him, he tends to be off the ball more than on the ball because at the high school level, it's tough to get him shots from the point. So whenever we want to get him a shot, we move him to the wing. He's very versatile. We have put him in the post because he has that game, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom