Class of 2016 - PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI

Looks like Kid Mamba means business. Might have to start calling him Kid Salsa.
tumblr_lyxivc0FGK1qh0sv4o1_500.gif

Looks like Battle's dad will be at Indiana game but not Tyus because of school work. Sounds like Battle will be at Duke game though. Mali that he is referring to is obviously Malachi Richardson who will be unofficially visiting.

1. Alex Kline™ ‏@TheAlexKline3h
  2. @TheLifeOfMali23 @kidmamba23 lol you've gotta eat. We don't have to go to chipotle I already got it tonight.

1. tyus battle ‏@kidmamba233h
    2. @TheAlexKline @TheLifeOfMali23 lol I'm not coming out there this time, but I will be out there for the duke game
    2. @kidmamba23 @TheLifeOfMali23 Hold up... you're not going but your dad is??? lol
    1. tyus battle ‏@kidmamba233h
    2. @TheAlexKline @TheLifeOfMali23 yeah lol
    2. @kidmamba23 @TheLifeOfMali23 smfh that's weird lol how come you can't go? Test tomorrow?

According to a free report Battle will be attending the Michigan @ Indiana game Jan 4. He has been to Bloomington a couple of times. His decision isn't imminent.

From iommi, some great stuff live! Tee the man up, not me please. Here's a little taste, but more coming from iommi.

"Playing a mix of pg and wing."
Man, to have this guy play combo guard at 6'6, and as Otto mentioned, him and Malachi up top would be insane.

"Sick handle. Good effort guy too."

GSB was only up by one at the half, but Battle has struggled finding his shot early on.
"His handle and crossover are fantastic, just can't make his shots so far."

Much thanks again brother. Enjoy the rest of the game!

Okay, back from the game. It turned out to be a close game. Gill St Bernards salted the game away, mostly from the line and pulled away to win 51-43 over Hun.

I watched each half from whatever basket GSB and Battle were shooting at to get a good vantage point of Kid Mamba. If in my upcoming description, I describe Battle as shooting a floater seemingly every time, well, let's just say that clearly was his favorite release.

One interesting note: the p.a.announcer listed him as 6'4". I'm not great with judging heights but he was at least that tall. He has extremely long arms and a solid frame.

Battle actually handled the jump ball but Hun won the tip. Before I get to my descriptions of all his shots and key plays...his defense... GSB played nothing but man and a good amount of full court pressing. Battle's defense was fine, even really good in spurts. He would be a beast at the top of our zone.

Another game note is they played without a shot clock.

These descriptions are all about Battle.

1st Q

0-1 missed jumper, hustled and did get a tip out hustle play, but his team didn't convert... I wrote in my notes: "dogging his guy on d."

0-2 nice one-handed floater, iron unkind.

1-3 "nasty crossover" led to leaner off glass.

1-4 pull-up in transition...not great shot selection but form was fine.

1-5. Deep 3, Clank.

2-6. Sweet move to his left, strong left hand dribble...leaner. Nice.

2-7 elbow jumper off

13-9 GSB at end of quarter... 4 points for Battle

-------------

2nd Quarter

2-8 one-handed floater in lane, nope

2-9 one-handed floater in lane...no good...charge called on Battle...2nd personal on Battle...looks frustrated... Was a clear player control foul.

2-10 tough baseline jumper...bit of a force...frustrated?

2-11 back iron missed 3... Form was fine.

3-12 nice floater from left side...got shooter's roll...pretty shot

3-13 sick crossover but missed

4-14 hustle rebound off teammate's miss...Battle 3 from right foul line extended

GSB held for one shot with about :25 left in quarter...Battle playing PG this possession. Great setup from Battle...drove, drew attention and kicked out to wide open teammate, who drilled 3 with about :04 left to close out half...shot gives GSB 22-21 lead at half...

Battle finished half as leading scorer with 9 points on 4-14 shooting.

---------

3rd Quarter

5-15 right-handed version of Josh Pace shot in lane.

Interesting sequence...Battle leaped up and kicked ball to block it and it nailed fan...maybe a woman or kid... Couldn't see...but Battle went over to check on the person...nice move from Kid Mamba. Paramedic tended to fan and Battle came over to check on fan again after a timeout. Nice kid.

Pretty Battle assist, following sick dribbling between legs and crossover... Highlight reel stuff.

6-16. Battle with the blow by with his left, finished with lefty layup. PA announcer calls Battle "Kid Mamba." LOL. 13 points now from Battle.

Great sequence... Following layup, NASTY Mamba blocked shot...drew some oohs and aahs from small crowd...

7-17 LEFTY floater...pure...

Nice rebound but committed turnover, frustrated...he thought he was fouled...I don't think he was...frustration foul...3rd personal on Battle

7-18. Another floater...missed...

End of 3rd... 39-30 GSB

---------------

4th Quarter

nice pass but teammate blows layup...Mamba rebound and was hammered.

2-2 from line...perfect form...both nothing but net...

7-19 goes length of floor, draws non-shooting reach-in foul. The Kid has the ball on a string.

7-20. Clearout... Misses shot but follows his own...

8-21 makes follow layup

8-22 misses foul line j

43-39 GSB under 4:00 left

43-41 under two minutes...Battle handling the ball a lot...wants the ball in his hands.

1:39 same score... Battle fouled...goes to line for 1 and 1... Calmly swishes both.

45-41 GSB...Battle with 21 points...high scorer.

He wound up going to line again, this time missed front end of 1 and 1.

Not much else to report...GSB salted game away at ft line.

My best guess on Battle's line: 21 points on 8-22 from floor...one 3. 4-5 from ft line.
maybe 3 or 4 assists and about 5 rebounds.

Overall impression: Didn't shoot great but talent is obvious... Incredible handle...ambidextrous dribbler. Handle is ready for prime time. Good vision... Could be a great defender...footwork is solid. Only a sophomore. Good frame, VERY long arms. Foul shooting form is textbook... I'd describe him as a slasher more than a shooter...much different game than Malachi...they'd work well together.

To me, he projects as a 2, unless he grows...would be ideal 2 and certainly could handle the point in a pinch or to break press.

One other note, former Rutgers nut job coach, Mike Rice, was there. I was told he works for Hoop Group, who put together today's event. He was acting like a politician, shaking hands and kissing babies (and rehabbing his image).

There was a very attractive woman there with her husband, who may have been Mamba's parents, based on their reactions during the game.

I didn't see anyone from the SU staff... Debating going back at 4:30 for Roselle Park game (Gist and Silva...Briscoe is still sitting out, I believe) followed by Pope John and Diagne at 6:10.

Last edited:
Okay, back from the game. It turned out to be a close game. Gill St Bernards salted the game away, mostly from the line and pulled away to win 51-43 over Hun.

I watched each half from whatever basket GSB and Battle were shooting at to get a good vantage point of Kid Mamba. If in my upcoming description, I describe Battle as shooting a floater seemingly every time, well, let's just say that clearly was his favorite release.

One interesting note: the p.a.announcer listed him as 6'4". I'm not great with judging heights but he was at least that tall. He has extremely long arms and a solid frame.

Battle actually handled the jump ball but Hun won the tip. Before I get to my descriptions of all his shots and key plays...his defense... GSB played noting but man and a good amount of full court pressing. Battle's defense was fine, even really good in spurts. He would be a beast at the top of our zone.

1st Q

0-1 missed jumper, hustled and did get a tip out hustle play, but his team didn't convert... I wrote in my notes: "dogging his guy on d."

1-5. Deep 3, Clank.

2-7 elbow jumper off

-------------

2nd Quarter

2-9 one-handed floater in lane...no good...charge called on Battle...2nd personal on Battle...looks frustrated... Was a clear player control foul.

4-14 hustle rebound off teammate's miss...Battle 3 from right foul line extended

GSB held for one shot with about :25 left in quarter...Battle playing PG this possession. Great setup from Battle...drove, drew attention and kicked out to wide open teammate, who drilled 3 with about :04 left to close out half...shot gives GSB 22-21 lead at half...

---------

3rd Quarter

Interesting sequence...Battle leaped up and kicked ball to block it and it nailed fan...maybe a woman or kid... Couldn't see...but Battle went over to check on the person...nice move from Kid Mamba. Paramedic tended to fan and Battle came over to check on fan again after a timeout. Nice kid.

Pretty Battle assist, following sick dribbling between legs and crossover... Highlight reel stuff.

6-16. Battle with the blow by with his left, finished with lefty layup. PA announcer calls Battle "Kid Mamba." LOL. 13 points now from Battle.

Great sequence... Following layup, NASTY Mamba blocked shot...drew some oohs and aahs from small crowd...

Nice rebound but committed turnover, frustrated...he thought he was fouled...I don't think he was...frustration foul...3rd personal on Battle

End of 3rd... 39-30 GSB

---------------

4th Quarter

7-19 goes length of floor, draws non-shooting reach-in foul. The Kid has the ball on a string.

8-21 makes follow layup

8-22 misses foul line j

43-41 under two minutes...Battle handling the ball a lot...wants the ball in his hands.

1:39 same score... Battle fouled...goes to line for 1 and 1... Calmly swishes both.

My best guess on Battle's line: 21 points on 8-22 from floor...one 3. 4-5 from ft line.

Overall impression: Didn't shoot great but talent is obvious... Incredible handle...ambidextrous dribbler. Handle is ready for prime time. Good vision... Could be a great defender...footwork is solid. Only a sophomore. Good frame, VERY long arms. Foul shooting form is textbook... I'd describe him as a slasher more than a shooter...much different game than Malachi...they'd work well together.

To me, he projects as a 2, unless he grows...would be ideal 2 and certainly could handle the point in a pinch or to break press.

One other note, former Rutgers nut job coach, Mike Rice, was there. I was told he works for Hoop Group, who put together today's event. He was acting like a politician, shaking hands and kissing babies (and rehabbing his image).

There was a very attractive woman there with her husband, who may have been Mamba's parents, based on their reactions during the game.

I didn't see anyone from the SU staff... Debating going back at 4:30 for Roselle Park game (Gist and Silva...Briscoe is still sitting out, I believe) followed by Pope John and Diagne at 6:10.

Did you wear orange and did Tyus see you? :)

Battle actually handled the jump ball but Hun won the tip. Before I get to my descriptions of all his shots and key plays...his defense... GSB played noting but man and a good amount of full court pressing. Battle's defense was fine, even really good in spurts. He would be a beast at the top of our zone.

1st Q

1-5. Deep 3, Clank.

2-7 elbow jumper off

-------------

2nd Quarter

---------

3rd Quarter

End of 3rd... 39-30 GSB

---------------

4th Quarter

8-21 makes follow layup

8-22 misses foul line j

Beyond sick writeup, much thanks. Just going off what you said, looks like he gets after the ball, contests shots and blocks some, that length at the top of the zone really must be appealing to both sides of this recruitment. And most of all, to be a primary or secondary ball handler is going to get him in the game from PG to SF. I love that he handles left and right with such height. Some MCW comparisons, even though I always saw MCW as a true point. Thanks again.

Battle actually handled the jump ball but Hun won the tip. Before I get to my descriptions of all his shots and key plays...his defense... GSB played nothing but man and a good amount of full court pressing. Battle's defense was fine, even really good in spurts. He would be a beast at the top of our zone.

1st Q

1-5. Deep 3, Clank.

2-7 elbow jumper off

-------------

2nd Quarter

---------

3rd Quarter

End of 3rd... 39-30 GSB

---------------

4th Quarter

8-21 makes follow layup

8-22 misses foul line j

Great report and love the versatility that Kid Mamba could bring to SU.

1st Q

1-5. Deep 3, Clank.

2-7 elbow jumper off

-------------

2nd Quarter

---------

3rd Quarter

End of 3rd... 39-30 GSB

---------------

4th Quarter

8-21 makes follow layup

8-22 misses foul line j

Are these t
image.jpg
he folks you saw?

Kid Mamba returns to action as GSB mauls Franklin in a blowout.
26 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists, 4 steals, 2 blocks, added 3 threes.

Just another day at the office. I love how he does a little bit of everything in the stat line. Usually the sign of a guy who just wants his team to win.

Wanting to win is an under rated skill in bball. Very valuable to have guys with a strong desire to win. Look what it did for MJ

Francis, I have a feeling we will get some of the league games from fios 1. I will look out, but they will probably televise later in the season.

Francis, I have a feeling we will get some of the league games from fios 1. I will look out, but they will probably televise later in the season.

The GSB (Battle) vs. Hun game that I did the writeup on is going to air on Fios1 tomorrow, Dec 28th, at 10:00pm. Now you can all see how worthless my writeup was.:eek:

The GSB (Battle) vs. Hun game that I did the writeup on is going to air on Fios1 tomorrow, Dec 28th, at 10:00pm. Now you can all see how on point my writeup was.:eek:
Fixed, and thanks. Going to enjoy some of these because they eventually put them on demand free.

according to Jeff Rabjohns - Tyus Battle won't make his Indiana visit Saturday. Interesting!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom