Class of 2016 - PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI

Tyus says, "I'm sick of this 20 something point scoring" as he drops 31 points on Immaculata, GSB improving record to 6-2
http://highschoolsports.nj.com/game/score/1879340/

He added 6 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 steals.
Francis, now that Jaren Sina is no longer running the show, Tyus has free reign and is doing the most with it.
Really hope we get 15 wrapped up in the next couple months so we can put all our attention on Battle and the 16 guys.

I want Battle to commit today no matter when we wrap up 15!
But don't you think it comes down to a Howard or Battle situation? Seems like the acceptance of one will dramatically affect the recruitment of the other. Aren't they very similar players?

That's why I'm kind of hoping Battle commits fairly quick. Good player. Great zone fit. And getting a top player a year later will help space out the guards.

But don't you think it comes down to a Howard or Battle situation? Seems like the acceptance of one will dramatically affect the recruitment of the other. Aren't they very similar players?

That's why I'm kind of hoping Battle commits fairly quick. Good player. Great zone fit. And getting a top player a year later will help space out the guards.
Maybe in some respects but I think Howard is a classic 4 year arc to being a great player. IE... Barely see him as a F, some solid minutes as a soph, good starter as a Jr, star and draft pick as a Sr. Battle is a high end immediate impact player. and with Richardson likely being a 1 or 2 year type guy as well, Howard will have minutes available when he's ready for them at both guard positions.

Maybe in some respects but I think Howard is a classic 4 year arc to being a great player. IE... Barely see him as a F, some solid minutes as a soph, good starter as a Jr, star and draft pick as a Sr. Battle is a high end immediate impact player. and with Richardson likely being a 1 or 2 year type guy as well, Howard will have minutes available when he's ready for them at both guard positions.
I agree. Howard = program player. Important guy to be able to fill in at either guard spot due to injury or guys leaving early, but Battle is an elite player, start from day one type player. Both players are very important to the continued success of this program. Howard could grow into a star, and that would just be icing, but if he comes here, it will be with the understanding that we are SU and we bring in top notch talent every year, and he will have the opportunity to practice against this talent every day and improve.

I want Battle to commit today no matter when we wrap up 15!

Is it really likely that Battle commits anytime soon? I mean we all want it to happen, the kid is in absolute beast mode as a freaking sophomore. But since he is a Soph, I can't imagine he commits for a while. How many soph's actually commit to a school (and stay true the whole time)? I can't imagine it is a good percentage of kids...

I agree. Howard = program player. Important guy to be able to fill in at either guard spot due to injury or guys leaving early, but Battle is an elite player, start from day one type player. Both players are very important to the continued success of this program. Howard could grow into a star, and that would just be icing, but if he comes here, it will be with the understanding that we are SU and we bring in top notch talent every year, and he will have the opportunity to practice against this talent every day and improve.
The problem IMO with a Howard commit is that it would lower the odds of landing Battle. SU would probably have in 2016 Buss, BJ, KJ2, Malachi, and then Howard. That's crowded.

The problem IMO with a Howard commit is that it would lower the odds of landing Battle. SU would probably have in 2016 Buss, BJ, KJ2, Malachi, and then Howard. That's crowded.
I really feel that BJ becomes a true 3 by then. It's still tough to tell where he finds his niche, but he's young and already has the height, length to be a wing. If you take him out of the equation, there are 4. Still could be crowded, and since both Howard and Battle are ball handlers with height, I agree. Would be tough to land both.

I really feel that BJ becomes a true 3 by then. It's still tough to tell where he finds his niche, but he's young and already has the height, length to be a wing. If you take him out of the equation, there are 4. Still could be crowded, and since both Howard and Battle are ball handlers with height, I agree. Would be tough to land both.
I agree with BJ being a 3 by then. I really don't see Howard and Battle being a conflict. Battle is an elite one and done type talent. I don't see him fearing being stuck behind anyone. Howard would likely be a four year guy not counting on a starring role until his junior and senior years, after Battle is gone. Plan could be, Joseph two and done with Howard the primary backup in 15, Battle one and done with Howard backup in 16, and Howard ready to take over after that if he's developed or to backup the next great PG in 17 if he hasn't.

Last edited:
A player of his ability shouldn't care who we have, unless it's Magic Johnson and Jerry West on our roster. C'mon watch the film. He's incredible. He's one n done at Kentucky or High Point. I can't believe he is rated the 10th best prospect in his class, I don't think there are 10 better players regardless of class. There's a lot more to like about Jersey. When Boeheim heard that Raf Addison made 2nd team All State in Jersey he said "If there's five better players than him, I'll take them all".

A player of his ability shouldn't care who we have, unless it's Magic Johnson and Jerry West on our roster. C'mon watch the film. He's incredible. He's one n done at Kentucky or High Point. I can't believe he is rated the 10th best prospect in his class, I don't think there are 10 better players regardless of class. There's a lot more to like about Jersey. When Boeheim heard that Raf Addison made 2nd team All State in Jersey he said "If there's five better players than him, I'll take them all".
My guess to why he is only 10th is because almost every player in front of him is a F/C. I think early on in HS size is valued much more than skill because all of these players are extremely young and can work on the rough part of their game for years to come before college, You can't teach size though and if you can find a big time difference maker in the post it is a very rare thing.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/tyus-battle-planning-syracuse-ohio-state-visits/

Syracuse and Ohio State are near the top of a group of schools in the mix for the 6-foot-5 Battle, who went for 22 points, 12 rebounds, five assists and four steals Thursday when Gill St. Bernard’s beat Hunterdon Central, 67-53. That group also includes Indiana, Villanova, Michigan, UConn and SMU.

“Syracuse, he’s top priority for Syracuse,” Gary Battle said. “They want him to come in and play the point.

“In their system he definitely can fit that role. He likes to pass the ball. He’s 6-5, can handle. I see him as a kind of a combo point. He definitely has to have the ball in his hands. He’s not a straight wing. He’s a muti-faceted guard.”

Gary will definitely go to the Syracuse game and assuming Tyus doesn’t play Feb. 1, he will also attend. Right now, Gill St. Bernard’s is slated to play St. Peter’s Prep on Jan. 31, but the game could be moved to Feb. 1.

Gary called the Duke-Syracuse game — one day before the Super Bowl — a must-see for him.

“That would be a Super Bowl for us to see Duke play at Syracuse in front of 35,000 people,” he joked. “I’ll take that over the Super Bowl as a basketball fan.”

Sounds about as positive as it can. Wow what a GREAT get this kid would be.
http://zagsblog.com/articles/tyus-battle-planning-syracuse-ohio-state-visits/

Syracuse and Ohio State are near the top of a group of schools in the mix for the 6-foot-5 Battle, who went for 22 points, 12 rebounds, five assists and four steals Thursday when Gill St. Bernard’s beat Hunterdon Central, 67-53. That group also includes Indiana, Villanova, Michigan, UConn and SMU.

“Syracuse, he’s top priority for Syracuse,” Gary Battle said. “They want him to come in and play the point.

“In their system he definitely can fit that role. He likes to pass the ball. He’s 6-5, can handle. I see him as a kind of a combo point. He definitely has to have the ball in his hands. He’s not a straight wing. He’s a muti-faceted guard.”

Gary will definitely go to the Syracuse game and assuming Tyus doesn’t play Feb. 1, he will also attend. Right now, Gill St. Bernard’s is slated to play St. Peter’s Prep on Jan. 31, but the game could be moved to Feb. 1.

Gary called the Duke-Syracuse game — one day before the Super Bowl — a must-see for him.

“That would be a Super Bowl for us to see Duke play at Syracuse in front of 35,000 people,” he joked. “I’ll take that over the Super Bowl as a basketball fan.”

I wonder what his time table is for a decision. It is obviously very very early, but I am going to be sweating this one out until its conclusion, and it would be nice to know that it isn't going to be two and a half years from now.

Battle, the consummate multi-tasker as GSB takes care of Hunterdon Central.
22 points, 12 rebounds, 5 assists, 4 steals, 1 block, hit 9 foul shots (not the first time he's earned his keep at the line). I also heard he filled in for the head coach, was a personal consultant to the refs, sold hot dogs and shot t-shirts out of a cannon just to keep the blood flowing.

Edit: ha, my bad, didn't realize the stats were shown in the zagsblog reference above. All good :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom