pick 5 teams Cuse should play every year | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

pick 5 teams Cuse should play every year

Penn St.
Notre Dame
WVU
Virginia Tech
BC

Several people have mentioned Rutgers. I would NEVER play Rutgers (except in a bowl game). We are recruiting rivals and we don't need to have direct comparisons at this point in our rebuilding. We will be competitive with most of the ACC schools in a couple of years. I don't know if Rutgers will ever be competitive in their B1G division.

NOT RUTGERS
NO RUTGERS
NO RUTGERS
NOT RUTGERS
NEVER RUTGERS

It should be:
BC
Va Tech
Miami
Pittsburgh U.
Penn State

And if that had ever happened, you still add Miami, VT in the early 90s. The big question is whether or not 2003 would have ever happened. I'm guessing probably since that's where Miami and VT always wanted to be, but there could have been more money involved with staying. Perhaps could have even been the poacher instead of poachee. At least working on FSU.

Oh well. I wish I could hot tub time machine back to that vote.

I've gone through this exercise before, but I think the one shot we had at forming an eastern conference that would have been "our's", and not us needing to glomm on to the ACC, was the proposal that was floated in 1990. That was when Raycom tried to piece together a 16 team super league that would have brought together all of the major independents of the northeast and south.

It would have included a north division of: Syracuse, BC, Pitt, Rutgers, Temple, West Virginia, Virginia Tech, Cincinnati (Penn State was part of the original proposal prior to them joining the B1G) .

And a south division of: Florida State, Miami, Louisville, South Carolina, East Carolina, Southern Miss, Memphis, Tulane.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2011/09/26/Colleges/Super-conference.aspx

It was just too radical for the time, but I think it would have been a massive success. Oh well.

forget about conferences, who would you pick as annual rival games?

I'm going with BC, Rutgers, Pedo State, WVU and Pitt
Colgate
Buffalo/Army
BC
Pitt
WV

I wouldn't call those "rival games" necessarily, but they should be the core of our schedule.

Want nothing to do with the wretched hive of scum and villainy down in "Happy Valley".

I've gone through this exercise before, but I think the one shot we had at forming an eastern conference that would have been "our's", and not us needing to glomm on to the ACC, was the proposal that was floated in 1990. That was when Raycom tried to piece together a 16 team super league that would have brought together all of the major independents of the northeast and south.

It would have included a north division of: Syracuse, BC, Pitt, Rutgers, Temple, West Virginia, Virginia Tech, Cincinnati (Penn State was part of the original proposal prior to them joining the B1G) .

And a south division of: Florida State, Miami, Louisville, South Carolina, East Carolina, Southern Miss, Memphis, Tulane.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2011/09/26/Colleges/Super-conference.aspx

It was just too radical for the time, but I think it would have been a massive success. Oh well.
That would have been awesome; although it would no have been as strong for basketball as the current ACC.

Shark58 said:

This is the list

That would have been awesome; although it would no have been as strong for basketball as the current ACC.

Maybe. Although a hoops league with historically strong programs at SU, Pitt, Temple, WVU, Cincy, Louisville and Memphis would have had a lot of potential to be great.

Scooch said:
Maybe. Although a hoops league with historically strong programs at SU, Pitt, Temple, WVU, Cincy, Louisville and Memphis would have had a lot of potential to be great.
Yes, I would sign up for that.

ARMY
NAVY or Penn State
MIAMI
Pitt
BC

My dream…

We start an annual tradition where we play Rutgers at Yankee Stadium and UConn at MSG the same weekend in November every year.

Entertainment > invented recruiting conflicts

And if that had ever happened, you still add Miami, VT in the early 90s. The big question is whether or not 2003 would have ever happened. I'm guessing probably since that's where Miami and VT always wanted to be, but there could have been more money involved with staying. Perhaps could have even been the poacher instead of poachee. At least working on FSU.

Oh well. I wish I could hot tub time machine back to that vote.
I think Penn St would have headed to the Big 10 when the call came circa 1990.

I think Penn St would have headed to the Big 10 when the call came circa 1990.

The call may not have come. If I recall, they targeted Penn State because they were just sitting out there alone.

But yes, if that call came, even with them as part of a conference, they were gonzo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom