Pick your poison | Syracusefan.com

Pick your poison

SoBeCuse

Living Legend
Do we stay up and defend 3s or let teams shoot and take away inside? We can't do both. We are losing games now where teams are abysmal from 3 but dominating us inside. Thoughts?

The entire premise of the zone is to allow teams the threes (of course, not wide open) to play percentages.

Honestly, it won't matter what we do. We don't have the players we need to play zone.

Do we stay up and defend 3s or let teams shoot and take away inside? We can't do both. We are losing games now where teams are abysmal from 3 but dominating us inside. Thoughts?

At this point force teams to hit 3's, and hope for the best.

The entire premise of the zone is to allow teams the threes (of course, not wide open) to play percentages.

Honestly, it won't matter what we do. We don't have the players we need to play zone.

If the premise was correct, teams would make more 3's against us and shoot a higher percentage.

Neither is true.

Te zone is just as good a defense against the 3 pointer as is M2M and the statistics prove it.

We can do both. Need to react and slide faster to the one pass away player.

Let them shoot. See what happens. I don't know if I can sit through another game of allowing a combo of like an EASY 20 layups/dunks. It's getting absurd.

EDIT: I'm fully aware that by my posting of this, I will be scolded by Townie and others for not being a true fan and for suggesting an alternate method/strategy.

Last edited:
Let them shoot. See what happens. I don't know if I can sit through another game of allowing a combo of like an EASY 20 layups/dunks. It's getting absurd.

EDIT: I'm fully aware that by my posting of this, I will be scolded by Townie and others for not being a true fan and for suggesting an alternate method/strategy.

The "true believers" are just as annoying as the bluecurtains of the world.

Against Notre Dame, you remain in the "4-1" wings up version of the zone. Against big physical teams like UNC, Florida State, etc., you have to hedge down with the wings, you have to pinch the high post with the guards, and you have to take your chances that they don't kill you from outside. You play it like an old school 2-3.

If the premise was correct, teams would make more 3's against us and shoot a higher percentage.

Neither is true.

Te zone is just as good a defense against the 3 pointer as is M2M and the statistics prove it.

Do you set up the table at Christmas dinner with your family with two chairs up top and three down low?

Last edited:
I said before the UNC game we should let them shoot outside of Paige.

Roberson got obliterated getting caught too far up defending Josh jackson and pinson, both marginal shooters numerous times, as did Mal and Lydon. I doubt that was the game plan. If it was, it wasn't smart. We could of lived with those guys shooting uncontested 23 footers.

Roberson got obliterated getting caught too far up defending Josh jackson and pinson, both marginal shooters numerous times, as did Mal and Lydon. I doubt that was the game plan. If it was, it wasn't smart. We could of lived with those guys shooting uncontested 23 footers.

I think it was the game plan. The problem was that we didn't adjust accordingly as it became painfully obvious that they were more than content to pass on those shots (which they were missing anyway) to make the two quick passes for easy dunks.

Against Notre Dame, you remain in the "4-1" wings up version of the zone. Against big physical teams like UNC, Florida State, etc., you have to hedge down with the wings, you have to pinch the high post with the guards, and you have to take your chances that they don't kill you from outside. You play it like an old school 2-3.

Exactly right. One caveat to this is that because the big at the high post was so successful taking that 15' or closer jumper, our center had to come up to contest. That would have looked like the old school 2-1-2 defense then.

Do you set up the table at Christmas dinner with your family with two chairs up top and three down low?

When actual data disprove one's biases, it's better to go with the data.

Fans, told for years that Zone defenses are inherently weak against outside shooting, have a hard time coming to grips with actual data that shows they aren't.

Just think of the dismay on the part of many Europeans when the Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria did not fall off the edge of a flat earth.

Zone defenses are illegal in the NBA and there's a reason for that.

When actual data disprove one's biases, it's better to go with the data.

Fans, told for years that Zone defenses are inherently weak against outside shooting, have a hard time coming to grips with actual data that shows they aren't.

Just think of the dismay on the part of many Europeans when the Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria did not fall off the edge of a flat earth.

Zone defenses are illegal in the NBA and there's a reason for that.

Zone defenses are allowable in the NBA now I believe.

http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_history.html

Exactly - pick the one shooter who is going to hurt you. UNC it was clearly Paige. Play the percentages on the others and if someone gets hot adjust to make them miss one and chances are they are going to go back to their normal percentage.

You are correct.

I guess I haven't watched an NBA game since 2002. I know they were having a heck of a time enforcing it anyway.

Zones were illegal for 50 years though.

It's not used very much still, so take some solace in that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom