Pinstripe bowl | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Pinstripe bowl

Seeing this made me sad. Those were the days. I often wonder if SU football will ever be back.
Different world. Look at the results listed. The only one of those five games listed that Pitt won was vs. Miami.

Yes the team did, the problem for Pitt is they have a horrible reputation for traveling, so they aren't going to get the better bowl.

To be fair to Pitt, though, they were stuck going to the Birmingham Bowl for like half a decade

I understand your description, but I disagree with the ACC's methodology. The other conferences specify who goes to which bowl based on place of finish. The ACC bowls -- other than the ones you mentioned -- are based on selection by the bowl committees. If SU had been bowl-eligible this year, we would (probably) have gone to the Pinstripe yet again. I don't want spend a fortune to freeze my azz off in New York every year. Even a mid-South city would be better. :(
I don't think that's correct. Other than the playoff or top bowls, where you finish in the standings basically doesn't matter. A bowl that has the SEC #5 team simply gets the fifth pick of SEC teams, not the team that finished fifth. The bowl will consider how well the fans travel, geography, etc.

That's why Pitt kept going to Birmingham no matter where they finished in the standings. They weren't desirable to better bowls.

I don't think that's correct. Other than the playoff or top bowls, where you finish in the standings basically doesn't matter. A bowl that has the SEC #5 team simply gets the fifth pick of SEC teams, not the team that finished fifth. The bowl will consider how well the fans travel, geography, etc.

That's why Pitt kept going to Birmingham no matter where they finished in the standings. They weren't desirable to better bowls.
I think that I'm right. Please read this article. :)

Bids to college bowl games - Wikipedia

I saw a couple of Northwestern fans at Carnegie Deli yesterday. Perhaps they arrived for the game a bit early!

Wondering if they'll have free ticket "contests" (seems to me good way to fill the place). I'd go...for free.

No way! I never knew we played at Shea!!
Neve even knew they played college games there but made sense with the Jets there.

Any idea if there were other Orange games at Big Shea?

No way! I never knew we played at Shea!!
Neve even knew they played college games there but made sense with the Jets there.

Any idea if there were other Orange games at Big Shea?
No, that was it for Syracuse.

College gridders play at Shea…
Four college football games have been played at Shea (two in 1965 and one each in 1974 and 1975). The first college contest paired two of the most traditional teams in college football: Army and Notre Dame. The Fighting Irish, ranked seventh nationally, defeated the Cadets, 17-0, before 61,000 on October 9, 1965.

"I recall that (future) President Nixon attended the game and sat in a box near my family," remembered Notre Dame Head Coach Ara Parseghian. "It was a brand new stadium, but frankly it was kind of a dull game."

Later that month, buoyed by a backfield of Floyd Little, Larry Csonka and current Giants Head Coach Tom Coughlin, the 19th ranked Syracuse University football team crushed Pittsburgh, 51-13, on October 30th. Little's spectacular four touchdown day was capped with a 95-yard TD run.

Legendary college football coach Eddie Robinson traveled to play at Shea twice. On November 9, 1974, Grambling played North Carolina A & T. The following year, the Tigers and their future NFL quarterback Doug Williams defeated Norfolk State on November 15, 1975.

"Coach Robinson always told us that everything happens in New York," recalled Williams, who would later earn Super Bowl XXII MVP honors helping the Washington Redskins to a 42-10 victory over Denver. "It was an honor to play at Shea especially for me, since I followed the 1969 Mets because Tommie Agee was a Grambling graduate. I also remember getting sacked on the infield dirt by Turkey Jones."

Pitt fans don't travel, and I don't know how many nwestern fans are going to go.

Northwestern doesn't make all that many bowls. And they're from Chicago. They might surprise you with the attendance for this game.

Northwestern doesn't make all that many bowls. And they're from Chicago. They might surprise you with the attendance for this game.
They have gone 6 of the last 8 seasons.

I think B1G football is really overrated but I give credit to their fans for following their programs with great passion.

Except Northwestern. I have been to games there. Not a big fan following.

Pairing them with Pitt, another school that historically does not travel well, will be interesting. Maybe lots of their fans will drive to this drivable bowl game. Based on their attendance at the Carrier Dome, I doubt it.

Northwestern Bowl History, Scores, Results

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom