Pitino to coach orange? | Syracusefan.com

Pitino to coach orange?

He seems to be recruiting well. He might not want Tennessee, but Minny isn't his last stop.

Kid's blessed with his father's name. He did a good job last year, but he's got about 2-3 years experience at this point. He needs to show he can actually build a program. Not that Tennessee is that big of a program to jump to. He should find a place to stay at for 3-5 years and then he might be able to get to a relative big boy.

I was thinking Q has done a nice job but Pitino wouldn't be a bad choice.

Why what?
Why would Pitino leave a decent program in one of the best basketball conferences in the country for a decent program in the worst of the "big" conferences? (Yeah yeah I know UF & UK made the final 4 but the SEC as a whole stinks). That said, although I like Minneapolis a lot, I'd rather live in Knoxville.

Minnesota is a bottom half B1G brand behind Michigan State, Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Maryland, Indiana, Purdue off the bat. If Pitino doesn't want to be seen a jumper from Florida International to Minnesota to Tennessee in 3 years would be kinda bush league. However, Tennessee is one of the few SEC schools that carries about basketball and they are top 10 in attendance. I think Pitino could do damage at Tennessee. I just don't see him leaving Minnesota after 1 year without getting them to the NCAA Tournament. Plus, Minnesota-Louisville are scheduled to open the season next year in the Military Appreciation game on ESPN. It was being promoted as Father vs Son I doubt Pitino will bail Minnesota right now.

I just think young Pittino will one day go to a big name program given his early career success. Can't imagine him being Minnesota's JB.

I think he will too. But bailing on a school after one year (let alone twice in a row) is amateur hour.

Minnesota's decent and that's really all they'll be in the foreseeable future.

Tennessee's a big name that just did pretty decent in the dance. I think Tennessee has a higher shot to be a contender in the more immediate future than Minnesota does.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom