Pitt AD Fired | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Pitt AD Fired

As I recall Nunes threw the game winning TD to David Tyree on one of those idiotic plays against Pitt.

I do not recall laughing at the time.

But more to the point, it's not about laughing but about not caring.

And we have a lot of work to do to make people across the USA care about SU Football.
this particular pitt game was a loss which i know was rare then. 2002. i remember the crazy play you're talking about too, in 99 i think, that was hilarious in a good way

i could be making this all up but i don't think so

Is there any sport that Pitt is great at? I realize football is terrible, but we're a national power and legitimate national championship contender in 5 different sports, and are getting there in a couple others.
Honest to god Pitt is a powerhouse ultimate frisbee school.

You may not like his style. He may not necessarily follow up on certain things, but the overall record is very solid.

He has done some good things--no doubt.

But that position is questionable, if one factors in how important football is to the overall scheme of athletics. Weighted appropriately, his overall record is actually quite shaky.

Saying we are number one in Director's Cup right now is like celebrating being up by 2 points at the under 16 timeout of the first half in basketball.

Jeez, Dr. Gross has done a great job with Olympic sports but he is lucky JB and men's BB has been such a cashcow or his football record would get him fired.

i think the laughing stock stuff is overblown

we sucked for 4 years. big whoop. purdue sucks now. uconn sucks. wake forest sucks. do people laugh at them or ignore them? ignore

Of course you think that, since you didn't believe it could have gotten worse than what P was doing.

Worst program in D-1 by the time Robinson was gone. Find another program that was across the board as bad as SU was by 2007 and 2008, and that is coming off a run with one losing season in 18 years.

Of course you think that, since you didn't believe it could have gotten worse than what P was doing.

Worst program in D-1 by the time Robinson was gone. Find another program that was across the board as bad as SU was by 2007 and 2008, and that is coming off a run with one losing season in 18 years.
i never said that, pest

In wake of another football HC fiasco, Steve Pederson has been fired.

About time.

He's Johnny Rotten Appleseed. First he wrecked the Nebraska program than Pitt. How do guys like this get these jobs?

When you spend the money SU is spending on non-revenue sports, you should finish high on this list, but the improvements are coming with a heavy, heavy price tag.
How much more are we spending on non-revenue sports than our peers?

He's Johnny Rotten Appleseed. First he wrecked the Nebraska program than Pitt. How do guys like this get these jobs?
He looks the part.

That's well framed.

Regardless, no one is disputing it. Just saying that the college football world wasn't laughing at us. They didn't care enough to laugh.

How much more are we spending on non-revenue sports than our peers?

From Carlson's story yesterday:

According to federal data turned in as part of Title IX requirements, Syracuse spent $21,273,236 on its women's programs and $28,930,570 on all non-revenue sports in 2013-14. Only Arizona spent a higher percentage of its budget in both categories.

According to federal data, Arizona, Michigan, Texas and Ohio State were the only power-five schools that spent more on their women's programs than Syracuse did in 2013-14.

Only 11 power-five schools spent more on their non-revenue sports. Those programs include nine state schools, Notre Dame and Stanford. All maintain far larger overall budgets than Syracuse, meaning the Orange has had to make a significant financial commitment to compete.

Syracuse has a big, reactionary fan base so it pays to poke us when we're down. A couple of substantial winning seasons (note: not eeking out 6-7 FBS win, mid-tier bowl seasons) will rehabilitate us.

We've just been largely forgotten. Michigan is a laughing stock, we should be so lucky.

He has done some good things--no doubt.

But that position is questionable, if one factors in how important football is to the overall scheme of athletics. Weighted appropriately, his overall record is actually quite shaky.

I don't blame Gross for what happened in 2004.

That was a late and emotional call by the Chancellor - during halftime of a bowl game!

She put Gross in a bad position.

And I think that Robinson looked pretty good on paper.

I have to say, this past football season was simply awful and right now one has to question the decision to name Scott the permanent HC without conducting a full search.

But, all in all, his record is solid enough to merit a new contract in my opinion.

this particular pitt game was a loss which i know was rare then. 2002. i remember the crazy play you're talking about too, in 99 i think, that was hilarious in a good way

i could be making this all up but i don't think so

The play to Tyree in the Dome was one of the all-time great plays in SU history - few remember it.

But it was great and crazy - a long scramble and a throw to the corner of the east endzone.

I recall Nunes and the Orange losing to Pitt at Pitt after dominating the first half.

It was a cold night and a tough loss.

From Carlson's story yesterday:
I'm curious how big the gap is between what SU spends and the national median. It would be nice to have a better idea as to how much money should realistically be getting funneled to the revenue sports that currently isn't.

I have to say, this past football season was simply awful and right now one has to question the decision to name Scott the permanent HC without conducting a full search.

But, all in all, his record is solid enough to merit a new contract in my opinion.

Those last 2 sentences seem contradictory. When would we have to decide on a new contract? Not until the end of year 3 right? These football coaches have it made. Start with a 5 year deal that you have to renew in 3 otherwise I can't recruit.

America...

I'm curious how big the gap is between what SU spends and the national median. It would be nice to have a better idea as to how much money should realistically be getting funneled to the revenue sports that currently isn't.

I think the fact that SU spent more on women's sports than any private school is telling. I don't know the exact number, but I'm pretty sure Stanford has 4-5 more women's sports than Syracuse.

As other posters have noted, I think TGD is gone next year and his successor will be the person to select the next SU FB HC.

I don't want him within 100 miles of that hire.

Those last 2 sentences seem contradictory. When would we have to decide on a new contract? Not until the end of year 3 right? These football coaches have it made. Start with a 5 year deal that you have to renew in 3 otherwise I can't recruit.

America...

I don't think they are contradictory statements.

In my opinion he has made mistakes - the Shafer decision right now seems questionable, though I had no problem with it when it was made or at the end of the 2013 season.

And, he probably has some shortcomings as an administrator - that he would probably acknowledge.

But, on the whole, he has done well - he has brought the Department into the 21st Century and deserves to remain the AD.

I don't know for sure, but last I heard Dr. Gross was working without a new contract?

Bees?

Is that true?

America...

I, too, at first thought he was saying Shafer should have his contract renewed. He meant Gross.

I don't blame Gross for what happened in 2004.

That was a late and emotional call by the Chancellor - during halftime of a bowl game!

She put Gross in a bad position.

And I think that Robinson looked pretty good on paper.

The only problem with that analysis is that we're not talking about "on paper" or critiquing GRob's pre-Syracuse resume--we're basing that assessment on his debacle of a tenure overseeing our program. With that frame, it was a disastrous hire.

Marrone was a solid hire.

And as you point out above, one has to question the decision to hire Shafer in lieu of conducting a national search.

Very shaky track record with football. Gross could very possibly be 0-2 [and for the record, I hope not--I really hope Shafer turns things around]. And if Gross is 0-2 with football, then I don't see how his record at AD could be considered anything but negatively.

I don't think they are contradictory statements.

In my opinion he has made mistakes - the Shafer decision right now seems questionable, though I had no problem with it when it was made or at the end of the 2013 season.

And, he probably has some shortcomings as an administrator - that he would probably acknowledge.

But, on the whole, he has done well - he has brought the Department into the 21st Century and deserves to remain the AD.

I don't know for sure, but last I heard Dr. Gross was working without a new contract?

Bees?

Is that true?

Sorry, I read it wrong. Thought you were talking about a Shafer extension. I know that always becomes a hot topic as coaches get on the hot seat.

As for Gross, like many others, I worry about him picking the next football coach. But end of the day, it's a new Chancellor, so sometimes that brings about change regardless. Hard to predict, and it's the nature of the beast.

In terms of the Shafer hire, I think the majority of the Syracuse community was on board with it, given the upward progression of the football team at the time. We were seemingly moving upward and onward from one of the worst stretches in program history.

Even after last season, my recollection is that the majority of people were more or less pleased with year 1 results. After this past season, now the hire is questionable? It's a hindsight thing.

The only qualm I have is that a national search could've reaped some benefits considering the success the team had at that point and the investment to facilities that Syracuse was making. The IPF had to be relatively concrete at that point, announced or not, and could've been dangled as a carrot.

The search probably wasn't a great maneuver, though, given the late timing of Marrone's departure. Keeping the recruiting class together was an important factor.

I'm not as quick to jump on Gross as alot of people. He's done some very good things here. Unfortunately, his tenure will ultimately be graded based upon the success of Football and Basketball. That's just the way it is. And Marrone, was luck for him, I wouldn't even consider it his hire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom