Pitt Game Thread ... | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Pitt Game Thread ...

With the double team on G it was basically a no brainer for Cooney to go all the way to the basket and shoot or dish. Pulling up for the three makes no sense to there.

Proud of the comeback but very disappointed by the result.

I do think the clock had something to do with it -- but all of us have watched Cooney enough that even if the clock was working normally, he would settled for that shot. Artis slipping could have bought Cooney a few more dribbles and a cleaner look.

I was in a bar in Seattle and this guy looks at me and says you have a chance. I said the game will end with Cooney missing a 3. I said that when we tied it and before like 3 different things happened. He looked at me and said how did you know. I just laughed.

Just saw this. Not sure if it made it into the thread. Sums it up for me

Counting off six seconds in your head in a pressure situation and not having visual confirmation of the time — you SHOULD shoot a bit early to be sure you get it off. Plus there was the defender slipping and maybe it flashes in your head thst you're going to get fouled if you're in the act... Who knows. After the push, there was no chance to do anything else but shoot, and no one was open before he pushed it.

Just saw this. Not sure if it made it into the thread. Sums it up for me

There's a hilarious anecdote in one of those Boeheim books about Boeheim grabbing Leo Rautins by the jersey in the locker room at halftime and shaking him while Leo (unbeknownst to Boeheim) was drinking a can of soda. No one in the locker room wanted to point out to Boeheim that he had wet pants.

Maybe he got a little wild at halftime again?

Counting off six seconds in your head in a pressure situation and not having visual confirmation of the time — you SHOULD shoot a bit early to be sure you get it off. Plus there was the defender slipping and maybe it flashes in your head thst you're going to get fouled if you're in the act... Who knows. After the push, there was no chance to do anything else but shoot, and no one was open before he pushed it.

Eh, I remember from when I was in school as a kid: under 4 seconds, pass or jumper; 5 or more, get to the rim.

It's just another instance of the poor kid not having game sense.

I sure hope JB stressed that with 6 seconds you can / should drive even if you have to go the entire court. Didn't that kid from UCLA (Edney?) go full length in 3 seconds?

I sure hope JB stressed that with 6 seconds you can / should drive even if you have to go the entire court. Didn't that kid from UCLA (Edney?) go full length in 3 seconds?
No one on syracuse is going to be confused with edney or bug williams against K state in the 75 tournament. No one.

No one on syracuse is going to be confused with edney or bug williams against K state in the 75 tournament. No one.

No, but Lawrence Moten did it in 4 (Seton Hall?) in the Big East, and hopefully we've got some quicker guards than that these days.

Cooney isn't quicker than Moten is now, let alone 20 years ago.
Let's be real - any D3 guard can go 85 feet with the ball in 6 seconds.

Let's be real - any D3 guard can go 85 feet with the ball in 6 seconds.
no question. 6 seconds is an eternity. Seriously.

The game isnt over.
Just because the clock hadn't run out,the game was over.Jimmy sent Cooney in too late to take the hailMary shot. It was over before the ball left his finger tips. No team should beat you three times in one seasonAt the end of the first half Dixon was asked about his rebounding and said emphatically the th second half would be different and it was. Thats effective coaching.

Frank at the pg position is at this time a no offense contribution and thats the problem. He might ass well put in Kaleb and see if anything is happening to that kid on the bench all year.
That may be true ordinarily but today Howard turned over the ball and the game to Pitt in those last seconds. I bet he doesn't get a good night's sleep thinking about that misplay.

Good to see Joseph into the game on the bench! Good teammate! Nice shot, TL!
I feel sorry for the kid . He was put into a very tough position and he cracked under the pressure. It happened to my son's former partnerJoseph following Ennis was too much for him to handle. I blame who ever scouted Kaleb. and forked over a $250,000 scholarship.

Just because the clock hadn't run out,the game was over.Jimmy sent Cooney in too late to take the hailMary shot. It was over before the ball left his finger tips. No team should beat you three times in one seasonAt the end of the first half Dixon was asked about his rebounding and said emphatically the th second half would be different and it was. Thats effective coaching.
Good point. I fell for the oldest trick in the SU book.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom