Class of 2015 - Plan B For Bryant and Other.. | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 Plan B For Bryant and Other..

Orangefan1

All Conference
I guess my question is why there wasn't a plan B because this is a guy who we recruited for four years who even last year probably new he wasn't coming here. If it was any indication it was when he transferred away from home which should of made everyone realize we should be recruiting a different center. Fast forward to now we really don't have a center for next year. Coleman I'd hope comes back the conquering hero but I have my doubts. We have a Chino who is not even close to being ready and possibly Diagne who probably would be better at the power forward position, but has played Center. Center in my opinion is so important for us and not to have one extra player of quality for next year really bothers me.

Now to the other recruits (Patterson, Johnson, and Chino) we never should of recruited these players and I feel we are recruiting players who are not as good in the hopes that they will develop. Maybe you recruit one of those players but in my mind I always admired the staff's ability to recognize talent in regards to center (Forth, Onuaku, Thomas) I loved watching those guys develop and contribute. Those were D 1 players, I can't say the same in watching these guys play the past few years. They were given a ton of time in games.

Now for Battle. I hope this doesn't end up playing out like Bryant who Syracuse recruits for years then spurns us in the minute hours. If anything I hope we have learned our lesson which is not to put all our eggs in one basket.

As for CMac I was sad to see him go, but that was always the plan. I wish him well. Maybe he can donate some money like Melo did and contribute.

SU might have had other options but not that easy to find another top 20 national recruit. I think the plan to go with 10 scholarship players makes a lot of sense at this point and in the long run won't hurt the program not getting Bryant. To add another mediocre option would not make much sense at this point. Don't see the problem in saving the scholarship, having another year to find a top rated big man if that's needed, and getting one year of the penalty out of the way. We will go 10 deep, Duke didn't do too badly with 8 scholarship players (I know they were all Mickey Dees). Let's just hope our 10 next year are good enough to get us to the tournament.

I guess my question is why there wasn't a plan B because this is a guy who we recruited for four years who even last year probably new he wasn't coming here. If it was any indication it was when he transferred away from home which should of made everyone realize we should be recruiting a different center. Fast forward to now we really don't have a center for next year. Coleman I'd hope comes back the conquering hero but I have my doubts. We have a Chino who is not even close to being ready and possibly Diagne who probably would be better at the power forward position, but has played Center. Center in my opinion is so important for us and not to have one extra player of quality for next year really bothers me.

Now to the other recruits (Patterson, Johnson, and Chino) we never should of recruited these players and I feel we are recruiting players who are not as good in the hopes that they will develop. Maybe you recruit one of those players but in my mind I always admired the staff's ability to recognize talent in regards to center (Forth, Onuaku, Thomas) I loved watching those guys develop and contribute. Those were D 1 players, I can't say the same in watching these guys play the past few years. They were given a ton of time in games.

Now for Battle. I hope this doesn't end up playing out like Bryant who Syracuse recruits for years then spurns us in the minute hours. If anything I hope we have learned our lesson which is not to put all our eggs in one basket.

As for CMac I was sad to see him go, but that was always the plan. I wish him well. Maybe he can donate some money like Melo did and contribute.

As things developed, Bryant became a luxury, not a necessity. Plan B is three headed approach with Coleman (who by all accounts looks to be healthy), Diagne, and Chino. Frankly I don't have a problem with that.

Other recruits (Patterson, Joseph, Chino) I have no issues with any of these players on a 13 man roster. Agree they may not fit right now on a 10 man roster, but in the one and done age you need continuity. Patterson at worst was a competent defender and solid practice guy. BJ oozes potential and we will miss him 2 and 3 years down the road. Chino is a big body, learning and certainly has the tools to fill a Jeremy McNeil type role.

It's funny the way recruiting works. Many of us were cool with just getting Diagne (I know I was initially) and he was the one I really wanted , and no I'm not saying that because it's convenient. But, then Bryant was still available, the natural thing as fans is to want him also. Well we didn't get him oh well. If Coleman really is healthy, then Bryant was just a luxury and would sit the bench like our previous 5 star centers did freshman year. McCullough was the one that really hurt, but I think we will be ok. Eventually we will have a freshman ready to contribute, and I wouldn't be shocked to see Richardson, Lydon, and Diange all contribute right away.

If Coleman really is healthy, then Bryant was just a luxury and would sit the bench.
That's nuts. DC2 is just as unproven at this stage, healthy knees and all.If anything he has only proven to me that he plays below the rim, plays small, and likes to yell hulk smash. I doubt rehab changes those intangibles. Let's all pray that moose can have an immediate impact.

That's nuts. DC2 is just as unproven at this stage, healthy knees and all.If anything he has only proven to me that he plays below the rim, plays small, and likes to yell hulk smash. I doubt rehab changes those intangibles. Let's all pray that moose can have an immediate impact.
That's why I said if. There have been reports that Coleman has looked good in practice, there is hope after all.

If we have a legit backup to Diange I'm comfortable with him being the starting center as a freshman. There I said it and yes I think he is ready physically for that role and good enough to handle it productively. So for me a healthy Coleman is the key question. At this point its more can he stay healthy than will he be healthy to start the season. If he is I also expect him to be the starter because he is on his 4th year at SU and he was an offensive player that drew defensive attention and fouls whatever else we want to say about his game. He was also a very good rebounder in relation to his minutes. To me a healthy Coleman means we have 2 quality centers and 10 fouls. Plus Chino is a bonus at that point rather than a necessity. If Chino is a necessity I will worry a bit although still he should, in his 3rd season, be able to play 10-15 minutes without fouling out and grabbing 3/4 rebounds if necessary. I expect he will work on lateral movement drills all off season.

The big thing with Chris declaring and Bryant passing on SU is that we are at 10. So no matter what happens with appeals we are taking 3 ships off the top this coming season which long term with a reduction could be huge. Say they cut it from 12 down to 6 and suddenly we are only looking at 1 ship reduction per for the next 3 classes. Yes that is best case but you get the idea. Whatever the reduction is it will be off the original 12 (thats what we are appealing) and we will be hacking 3 from the remainder as well.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom