Class of 2015 - Player analysis by JackBauer44 *New 1/14/2015* | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 Player analysis by JackBauer44 *New 1/14/2015*

JackBauer44

'18 & / '21 Cali Winner: Receiving & Rushing Yards
Prospect Info:
#2 CB Daivon Ellison - Don Bosco Prep High School.
5'9 178
Offers from - Syracuse, Army, BC, ODU, Rutgers,

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1884026/highlights/177947381

Tale of the Tape:

Daivon has a rather short highlight from his senior year. I'm interested to see if it's a complete highlight. I really think Ellison projects better as a Safety at the next level rather than a Cornerback. There's some really good things to see in this highlight. One thing that sticks out is his ability to help with the run game. He tackles very well and has a nose to get to the ball. Numerous times he shows great pursuit angles to make tackles that busted through the line of scrimmage. I'm not so sure about his speed. He shows quick bursts in space, but there are some times in coverage when he is running with receivers and seems to be a sliver behind. Let's analyze some tape.

.44 mark - We see DE's first highlight in coverage. The defense is playing a Cover 2 alignment which gives him saftey help. The route is a go route, which can be difficult for a cornerback to cover, given he has to make up for the receivers acceleration. DE recognizes the route quickly and immediately turns his hips to start running with the defender. This shows good recognition skills and natural hip movement. The easier it is to move your hips (which IMO he does a good job at throughout the video), the more easier it is to play defense in the secondary.

1:00 mark - We get a glimpse at something DE may struggle with at the next level. He's playing press coverage and is looking to jam the receiver. Even though he misses the jam and the receiver puts an inside/out move, he does a great job at turning his hips and running with the receiver. Ideally, the cornerback wants to "magnet" his hips with the receivers hips. This allows him to bump the route without getting called for PI. This is also a cornerbacks best friend when receiver is trying to run a route down the sidelines. If you can magnet your hips to his, and force him out of bounds, you've just won that play. Because of DE's size, i'm not too sure how well he is going to be able to jam ACC receivers. If he's pressed up against a receiver who is 6'3, 210 pounds - it's going to be hard for him to get his hands for a solid jam.

1:09 mark - You see here DE read the bubble screen and attempt to close to the LOS to make the tackle. He is face with a 1 on 1 block with his wide-receiver and displays a bit of poor technique. If you pause the tape at the 1:11 mark, you see DE expose his back to the receiver in trying to go around him to the outside. Any strong blocking WR is going to have a field day with a situation like that. While DE doesn't want to give up the possible outside containment; a good CB will take on that block with his hands, keep his feet moving, and shed to make the play. Brandon Reddish did an amazing job of this in his last season. He made it difficult for teams to bubble to his side.

1:40 mark - DE makes a great play on this hitch route. When you are manned up with a WR and you see him clean his cleats and expose his back to you, you need to eliminate the space and get on his back. The minute the wide receiver exposes his backside after the hitch route is complete, DE flies to the ball and makes contact as the ball is arriving. It's this type of recognition that can make a hitch pass very susceptible to the pick-6.

1:49 mark - Here you see some traits that could make DE a great safety prospect. Recognizes the run as the receiver is coming out of his stance. He is playing a tad bit high for a corner, but he sinks his hips immediately and takes a great angle to the ball.

2:30 mark - You see DE again try and run around the blocker to make the play. This is an easy way to take yourself out. You need to engage, spill, and make the tackle.

2:55 mark - When you are the cornerback playing on the boundary side where a TE is lined up, you often times are brought on the edge and have outside-in responsibility. Don't let anyone outside you, and work your way in. DE makes a really good read here, sees the TE block straight ahead, and recognizes he is to read and make a play. He accelerates well and makes a good tackle.

3:17 mark - DE actually has a decent jam opportunity here but realizes his WR is not running a hard pattern. While he has to respect the route, he keeps his head in the backfield , recognizes the run, releases from his receiver and makes a good play. He displays good technique in recognition, another reason why I think he'd make a great safety prospect.

Final Analysis

Strengths - Quick hips, good tackler, physicality & quick recognition skills. I think he fits more in zone defense scheme, rather than a M2M scheme (another reason why I could see him as a safety). I see a good development of fast-twitch muscle fiber in how he turns his hips fluidly.

Areas of Improvements - (I'm an educator, I don't use the term weakness) - Size. This is a no brainer. He's always going to have to play with a chip on his shoulder. He needs to add muscle to be able to take on blocks more efficiently and effectively. I mentioned earlier that i'm not sure on his high end speed. I could see him in the 4.7 range. I think with proper development, he could be in the 4.5 range.

All in all, his size makes him a riskier prospect. If he played safety in high school, I think he'd be a legit, no question, 3* recruit. With cornerback next year being a concern, will DE be ready to contribute in year 1? I don't think so. I'm projecting a redshirt during his first year, however I would not be surprised to see DE being a regular in the rotation somewhere in the secondary by his Redshirt Sophomore year.

Prospect Info:
#7 TE Trey Dunkelberger - Los Angeles Pierce CC
6'5, 245lbs
4.56 40 yard dash
34" Vertical
335 Bench Press
495 Squat
11.2 100m dash
Offers from - Syracuse, Cincinati, Akron
Interests: Many came a calling, Trey told them to dunk off
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3917386/highlights/175482387

Tale of the Tape:

TD stands for touchdown. There are many SU fans who hope Trey Dunkelberger will live up to his initials. So what can we gather from a 4 minute highlight tape that consists of a couple of catches, and mostly blocking? Well, there are a couple of things. The first thing to take away is how fundamentally sound his stance is. His arse is down, his back is straight. It allows him to keep low out of his stance so there is no wasted time up to the point of contact.

There's a reason many coaches are looking for Tight Ends with TD's measurables. It's called the Jimmy Graham effect. "Can we take someone who is strong, quick, powerful, and turn them into someone who is a matchup nightmare?" If you can, you have an advantage immediately. Traditional tight-ends and some that cross over into the HBack territory are mostly covered by LBs (when the defense is playing man). If you have a tall tight end who is fast, it's a matchup nightmare. LBs are (or should) always be taking a read step forward before dropping into pass coverage. This gives the tight end an advantage when running routes, because the defense is looking to read the play. If TD's 4.5 40 is accurate, linebackers can get caught off easily when covering somebody that fast.

Additionally, TD is the type of player that is going to frustrate the hell out of defensive players. He's physical, and you can't teach that. He does a great job at playing to the whistle. If he's blocking you, he's going to be engaged until the whistle blows. He's got very good run blocking technique. He drives his feet. His hands are in great position. He does a solid job of getting close to the defender and finishing off blocks. I'm guessing we are going to see a lot of players try and give some extra shoves to TD after the whistle because of how aggressive he plays.

Let's take a look at some highlights from TD's tape.

1:20 mark - You see a great seal block on the edge. Trey comes in for a run block, engages, and naturally moves his hips into position to get his body in between the sideline and the defensive end he is blocking. These are blocks that offensive linemen need to excel in. Trey shows some good instinctive blocking.

It should be noted, Trey's always bouncing to the next level to get another person on a secondary or tertiary block. He seems to love contact.

2:15 mark - This looks like a simple Off-Tackle play. Pay attention to what Trey's responsibility is on this play. He's charged with running a linebacker off, so if there's a cutback, the RB is able to find open space. Some players fall into a habit of doing this half-assed, because the possibility of a cut back there is not very likely. Trey takes off on a go route like a bat out of hell. We get to see some really good explosiveness here, and see that he does not take plays off. Pay attention on Sundays. A lot of NFL players mail home routes they are supposed to run to decoy the secondary. Football coaches get excited about little things like this.

2:46 mark - Play call is a screen pass, with Trey being a secondary route for the QB to look at if the screen is not there. Trey runs a great route which causes the LB to get caught cement footed. If the QB looks at him, he's got big yardage. He shows great quickness on the zip route, stopping and accelerating with good quickness. The same goes at the 3:24 mark. Trey is wide open down the field on his go route, and the QB misses him.

Final Analysis

Strengths - Tenacious, physical, strong and fast. He is a matchup nightmare for opposing linebackers. With Lester wanting to utilize the TE more, Trey has an opportunity to make a big impact. In his routes that were run on tape, he finds soft spots in zones, and gets vertical if he sees that he is allowed too. The potential here is very high.

Areas of Improvements - (I'm an educator, I don't use the term weakness) - We don't really get to see Trey's receiving skills in this video. He catches one ball on a bubble screen, and another short route that he snags easily. In both of the catches on the video, Trey catches the ball with his chest, and not clean with his hands. Ideally, I'd like to see him catch the ball cleanly, but theres no way to effectively analyze hand strength or catching ability off of two catches.

Trey's size and speed makes it very easy to see why he was getting calls from Florida State, Texas, and USC last week. When you rate a prospect, you rate him on the potential he has to be an impact player. Trey has all the physical tools you want, and has the motor you need to go with it. There are many instances seen where the two don't go together. When you have those two factors align; special things have the potential to happen.

When I watch Trey's tape, I see some Jason Witten in his game. When the JUCO ratings get updated, I would be very surprised to see Trey stay at the 2 star status. He will be on the field next season, and Orange fans will enjoy him being there.

You will still be able to find Js' write ups in the individual player threads but I am also going to put a copy here in this tacked thread for a quick, handy reference.

Thank you for doing this. Much easier to find vs yesterday looking to see if JackBauer44 had reviewed another recruit by looking, and relooking, through every thread.

Hey Everyone!

Here is my breakdown of our newest commit - Qaadir Sheppard. Enjoy and let's hear your thoughts!

http://.com/gridiron-recruiting-spotlight-de-qaadir-sheppard/

Hey Everyone!

Here is my breakdown of our newest commit - Qaadir Sheppard. Enjoy and let's hear your thoughts!

http://.com/gridiron-recruiting-spotlight-de-qaadir-sheppard/

Awesome stuff! Amped about this kid. His sr. tape looked really good.

Here is the analysis that kicked off our series, in official form!

Fresh off the news he was named first team all state today, here is our recruiting spotlight on DT commit, Steven Clark!

http://.com/gridiron-recruiting-spotlight-dt-steven-clark/#more-677

Here is the analysis that kicked off our series, in official form!

Fresh off the news he was named first team all state today, here is our recruiting spotlight on DT commit, Steven Clark!

http://.com/gridiron-recruiting-spotlight-dt-steven-clark/#more-677
I can't wait to see Steven in Orange! He is one of my favorites (among many) in this class.

Can I make a humble request?

While I love the work jek does at .com, that site is blocked for me here (I know, I know... GET TO WORK ORANGETOWN!!!). Can you keep posting the full breakdowns here, Jack?

Pretty please?

"Synergy... paradigm... aren't those just buzzwords that dumb people use to sound smart?"

"I'm fired, aren't I?"

--The Simpsons
I freaking hate the word paradigm. And why are paradigms always new?

Personally, I can't wait to see his mother in Orange; that'd be a HUGE victory (she absolutely LOATHES Auburn).

Our orange isn't the same shade is it? I guess you should just get her one of the white jerseys to solve the problem.

Personally, I can't wait to see his mother in Orange; that'd be a HUGE victory (she absolutely LOATHES Auburn).

We have so much in common!

I bet she has no idea how many elderstatesmen/women Cuse fans loathe Auburn as well thanks to Pat ****ing Dye. Rest assured she won't be alone in her feelings towards Auburn as part of the Cuse family.

Our orange isn't the same shade is it? I guess you should just get her one of the white jerseys to solve the problem.

It's really too close for me to tell a difference. She can't, either.

And, nope. Not gonna get her a white jersey. When you're in, you're ALL in, BABY! =D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom