Polls for Mar 11: Media #6 / Coaches #6 / USALAX #10 | Syracusefan.com

Polls for Mar 11: Media #6 / Coaches #6 / USALAX #10

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
65eef01e11dde.jpg

Army is No. 1 for the first time in its illustrious lacrosse history.

The Black Knights take the top spot in the Inside Lacrosse Media Poll for Week 5. It is the first time they’ve ever been on top of the lacrosse rankings, even in the long history of the USILA Rankings as well. (They peaked at No. 2 in 1982.)

They got there after a 6-0 start that included an overtime win against Syracuse.

The voting comes after the third week in which the No. 1 team was beaten. This time, Yale took down Denver, which drops to No. 8. Army was cleared for the top spot with the Pioneers’ loss and previous No. 2 Johns Hopkins’ loss to Syracuse.

Notre Dame, Duke, Virginia and Maryland make up the Top 5, followed by the Orange and Hopkins.

The Week 5 Media Poll represents the biggest wholesale reset of the ranks since the start of the season. Harvard jumped up to No. 12, while Cornell and Michigan had big drops. Delaware re-entered at No. 20.

Check out the full Men’s DI Media Poll here.

RankTeamPointsPrev
1Army (6 - 0)533 (22)3
2Notre Dame (4 - 1)505 (4)4
3Virginia (5 - 1)4545
4Duke (6 - 1)451 (1)6
5Maryland (5 - 1)4267
6Syracuse (6 - 2)3819
7Johns Hopkins (5 - 2)3752
8Denver (5 - 1)3661
9Penn State (5 - 1)35211
10Yale (3 - 1)32512

USA LACROSSE DIVISION I MEN’S TOP 20​

1. Notre Dame, 4-1 (Prev: 2)
2. Army, 6-0 (Prev: 5)
3. Duke, 6-1 (Prev: 4)
4. Penn State, 5-1 (Prev: 9)
5. Denver, 5-1 (Prev: 1)
6. Johns Hopkins, 5-2 (Prev: 3)
7. Virginia, 5-1 (Prev: 6)
8. Yale, 3-1 (Prev: 14)
9. Maryland, 5-1 (Prev: 7)
10. Syracuse, 6-2 (Prev: 11)
11. Georgetown, 4-2 (Prev: 10)
12. Penn, 4-2 (Prev: 13)
13. Princeton, 4-2 (Prev: 15)
14. Harvard, 6-0 (Prev: 17)
15. Cornell, 3-2 (Prev: 8)
16. Richmond, 4-2 (Prev: 18)
17. Michigan, 5-2 (Prev: 12)
18. Delaware, 3-2 (Prev: 19)
19. North Carolina, 4-2 (Prev: 20)
20. Rutgers, 5-2 (Prev: 16)

Also considered (alphabetical order): Boston University (4-2), Colgate (5-3), NJIT (7-0), Ohio State (4-3), Quinnipiac (5-0), Towson (4-3)

GIZF9cCXQAA9o7X

6) Syracuse​

Otto is now 2-13 under coach Gary Gait against top 10 opponents, snapping a ten game losing streak with a 14-13 victory over Hopkins. No great thing happens suddenly.

Orange were cooking with fish grease in the third quarter, and scored 11 goals in middle 20 minutes, but strategically began to slow down and stall, and that let JHU eat into the margin. Playing zone against Hopkins was foolish given their passing and shooting prowess. This win, monumental for Syracuse after one-goal heartbreaking losses to Army and Maryland, provides affirmation of belief and work while avoiding perilous time on the post season bubble. Mason Kohn, Jake Stevens, Christian Mule, Owen Hiltz and Joey Spallina were the heroes. Stevens was omnipresent and missed in the loss to Army. I see some personnel issues on defense, the same players are giving up too many goals. Wouldn’t be surprised to see subtle shifting of manpower on defense with Saam Olexo playing close against Shellenberger, Zwada, Duffy and a Kavanagh.

#HHH (Head, heart, hustle) tangles with Delaware next in Chantilly, VA after their week at the North Carolina outer banks, training during spring break. A very shrewd move to get out of Central New York.

Like virtually all of the teams, not sure where Cuse should be - somewhere in the higher single digits between say 6 and 8. If we pull off a couple of big wins later in the season, we could be top 5. I think the fact that Hopkins was overvalued at #2 is why we didn't move up more.

I think the USA Lacrosse poll has Penn State pegged more accurately in the top 5 but time will tell.

65eef01e11dde.jpg

Army is No. 1 for the first time in its illustrious lacrosse history.

The Black Knights take the top spot in the Inside Lacrosse Media Poll for Week 5. It is the first time they’ve ever been on top of the lacrosse rankings, even in the long history of the USILA Rankings as well. (They peaked at No. 2 in 1982.)

They got there after a 6-0 start that included an overtime win against Syracuse.

The voting comes after the third week in which the No. 1 team was beaten. This time, Yale took down Denver, which drops to No. 8. Army was cleared for the top spot with the Pioneers’ loss and previous No. 2 Johns Hopkins’ loss to Syracuse.

Notre Dame, Duke, Virginia and Maryland make up the Top 5, followed by the Orange and Hopkins.

The Week 5 Media Poll represents the biggest wholesale reset of the ranks since the start of the season. Harvard jumped up to No. 12, while Cornell and Michigan had big drops. Delaware re-entered at No. 20.

Check out the full Men’s DI Media Poll here.

RankTeamPointsPrev
1Army (6 - 0)533 (22)3
2Notre Dame (4 - 1)505 (4)4
3Virginia (5 - 1)4545
4Duke (6 - 1)451 (1)6
5Maryland (5 - 1)4267
6Syracuse (6 - 2)3819
7Johns Hopkins (5 - 2)3752
8Denver (5 - 1)3661
9Penn State (5 - 1)35211
10Yale (3 - 1)32512
I guess my prediction was wrong. I am a bit surprised.

USA LACROSSE DIVISION I MEN’S TOP 20​

1. Notre Dame, 4-1 (Prev: 2)
2. Army, 6-0 (Prev: 5)
3. Duke, 6-1 (Prev: 4)
4. Penn State, 5-1 (Prev: 9)
5. Denver, 5-1 (Prev: 1)
6. Johns Hopkins, 5-2 (Prev: 3)
7. Virginia, 5-1 (Prev: 6)
8. Yale, 3-1 (Prev: 14)
9. Maryland, 5-1 (Prev: 7)
10. Syracuse, 6-2 (Prev: 11)
11. Georgetown, 4-2 (Prev: 10)
12. Penn, 4-2 (Prev: 13)
13. Princeton, 4-2 (Prev: 15)
14. Harvard, 6-0 (Prev: 17)
15. Cornell, 3-2 (Prev: 8)
16. Richmond, 4-2 (Prev: 18)
17. Michigan, 5-2 (Prev: 12)
18. Delaware, 3-2 (Prev: 19)
19. North Carolina, 4-2 (Prev: 20)
20. Rutgers, 5-2 (Prev: 16)

Also considered (alphabetical order): Boston University (4-2), Colgate (5-3), NJIT (7-0), Ohio State (4-3), Quinnipiac (5-0), Towson (4-3)
Overall I obviously just think “who really cares?” But would definitely have Cuse a little higher in this. No worries for these teams with losses to teams outside of the top 10 and no top 10 wins. Meanwhile we are still being punished pretty heavily for two top 10 losses. Would make more sense if MD fully choked and lost to Brown. They are on thin ice eye test wise, even with no Weirman and a desperate brown team. Hoping they can stay towards the top of big 10 but that seems like not a guarantee. I might actually agree with Quint??

Along with Penn State, Yale is making some decent moves even without two of their star attack. While I will always detest "blue collar" yale, good to see David Anderson of the famous Powless family doing well, along with local products Hackler Klieb and Bragg. Curios to see if they make some noise going forward this year at full health, despite that D still not being all that.

Overall I obviously just think “who really cares?” But would definitely have Cuse a little higher in this. No worries for these teams with losses to teams outside of the top 10 and no top 10 wins. Meanwhile we are still being punished pretty heavily for two top 10 losses. Would make more sense if MD fully choked and lost to Brown. They are on thin ice eye test wise, even with no Weirman and a desperate brown team. Hoping they can stay towards the top of big 10 but that seems like not a guarantee. I might actually agree with Quint??
Your eye-test might be a little short-sighted as Maryland was beating Princeton 13-7 just two weeks ago.
The Terps were also without starting LSM Jack McDonald. Wierman was dressed and it apparently was a game time decision by the trainers to sit Wierman.

Even in a gray cloud there were a couple of positives for the Terps
1) Erksa really got back on track with 5 goals and 3 assists.
2) While the Terps slightly lost the face-off battle. The Terps #2 face-off man Shea Keethler steadily improved during the game and ended up winning 12 of 20.

Your eye-test might be a little short-sighted as Maryland was beating Princeton 13-7 just two weeks ago.
The Terps were also without starting LSM Jack McDonald. Wierman was dressed and it apparently was a game time decision by the trainers to sit Wierman.

Even in a gray cloud there were a couple of positives for the Terps
1) Erksa really got back on track with 5 goals and 3 assists.
2) While the Terps slightly lost the face-off battle. The Terps #2 face-off man Shea Keethler steadily improved during the game and ended up winning 12 of 20.
This is all true, but the caliber of opponent is just not a good look. Brown is 0-5 with losses to Quinnipiac and Providence. You would expect both more goals scored and less given up against that type of opponent. Brown was desperate for a win I am sure, but still it is a team you would expect the terps to completely bury on their home field no matter what.

This is all true, but the caliber of opponent is just not a good look. Brown is 0-5 with losses to Quinnipiac and Providence. You would expect both more goals scored and less given up against that type of opponent. Brown was desperate for a win I am sure, but still it is a team you would expect the terps to completely bury on their home field no matter what.
True, although trap games are often that way.
One might note that Georgetown beat Brown 11-5 last week, so I don't think the Terp's offensive output is that much of a surprise, especially without the face-off edge. The game was also in the rain, and I don't recall the Terps getting any transition goals (no pole goals or anything like that).
So it was really more the Terp's defense that came up short, allowing Brown 8 goals in the first half. In the after game interview, Tillman mentioned Matteo Corsi, who hadn't played against Georgetown, as being a bit of a surprise. Corsi had 3 2nd quarter goals for Brown.

Congrats to Army being at #1, but is it really accurate to say they have an "illustrious" history if they've never been #1?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom