Men's Soccer - Possible NCAA changes to playing season | Syracusefan.com

Men's Soccer Possible NCAA changes to playing season

CuseLegacy

Strategic objectives adopted for DI championships

Strategic objectives adopted for DI championships
Long-, short-term goals to ensure growth, consistency, fairness are defined
July 14, 2016 3:40pmGreg Johnson

The Division I Competition Oversight Committee has adopted strategic objectives focused on improving Division I and National Collegiate championships while also ensuring their growth, consistency and fairness.

Some of the immediate improvements that the committee recently approved for implementation in the 2016-17 academic year include:

• Improved awards ceremonies.
  • Gathering/meeting areas for family and friends at the final sites.
  • Requirements related to web streaming of preliminary-round competition.
During their meeting June 27-28 in Indianapolis, committee members also outlined future goals designed to provide student-athletes with an outstanding championship experience and enable planned growth of those events. Those goals pertain to:

• Exploring models to maintain and enhance championships.
  • Quality of travel experience.
  • Enhanced officiating training and development programs.
  • Consistency and fairness of championship experience.
  • Championship formats and automatic qualification policies.
The committee’s work stems from a working group it created that spent the last several months reviewing current and historical financial information, participant and conference surveys, and sport/championship benchmarks.

The committee continues to support the fundamental principle of access to championships, while recognizing increasing budget concerns, fluctuations in sport sponsorship and conference realignment.

Other items
  • The Division I Competition Oversight Committee requested that a member from its group be appointed to serve on the NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel to maintain communication and connectivity in the rules-making process.
  • Committee members also referred a concept back to the Division I Men’s Soccer Committee in hopes of garnering more information. The concept would change the playing and practice season for men’s soccer to a two-semester format, which would include a spring championship segment.
  • The committee also forwarded legislation to the Division I Council to exempt the East Lake Cup in Atlanta from the maximum dates of competition (24) of the 144-day declared playing and practice seasons for men’s and women’s golf. The televised event consists of the men’s and women’s four semifinal teams from the previous year’s Division I championships participating in one day of 18-hole stroke-play competition, followed by two days of semifinals, finals and consolation match-play competition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom