Possible Portal Point Guards | Page 67 | Syracusefan.com

Possible Portal Point Guards

It is very clear there is no solution available to this program for lead guard that is going to make this team a truly competitive team that we can get.

We lost our mvp and our most talented player and are building around two incumbents that had sub-15 PER and are bad defenders.

I would say we can hope Donnie Freeman becomes a Carmelo (he won't be, to be very clear), but it’s not like we even have a Hak or GMac anyway.

It doesn’t matter if Dakota Leffew was a fan of University of Georgia, Georgia O’Keefe or Georgia on My Mind, we couldn’t get him.

I’m not mad, I’ve just accepted where we are as a program now.

I don't like his overall shooting numbers. He shot under 40% his first 3 seasons, and barely made 40% as a senior. Strange, because his 3-point pct. is pretty good.
He's not a good finisher at the rim and takes a lot more mid-range jumpers than he should be. Hit 25-30% of them in 2022 and 2023 before bumping that up to 35% this past year.

Edit: Not saying he's a bad player. His production didn't drop off a cliff the way Leffew's did when they faced decent competition. That's pretty promising. Just explaining the FG%. His TS% was bad against the top 150 teams but not terrible; he at least kept it above 50%.

Last edited:
Colgate's Braeden Smith has entered the chat.

2024 Patriot League Player of the Year.

14, 11 and 8 against SU in November.

Can't shoot it great (31% 3P%), but did shoot 36% as a freshman from deep.

6-0 guard. Assist/turnover ratio 2.4, averaged 5.5 apg along with over 5 rebounds per game despite being a bit undersized.

I'd take him.

There’s always the football board. When I get tired of the basketball negativity, there’s rightful giddiness on the football board!

There was giddiness and happy thoughts through most of Shafer and all of the DB years. Even a 1 win season couldn’t deter some of the FB board that maybe that wasn’t a positive.

Would SU pursue Smith AND Evans? One a true PG, the other an uber athletic and high scoring combo guard. Both players of the year in their respective conferences. If it comes down to a choice, which they might not have the luxury of having, I'd go with Evans, even though he's more a traditional guard.

Would SU pursue Smith AND Evans? One a true PG, the other an uber athletic and high scoring combo guard. Both players of the year in their respective conferences. If it comes down to a choice, which they might not have the luxury of having, I'd go with Evans, even though he's more a traditional guard.
Carlos is the pure PG. At this point they would only get a combo type guard that is probably on the taller/bigger side.

Colgate's Braeden Smith has entered the chat.

2024 Patriot League Player of the Year.

14, 11 and 8 against SU in November.

Can't shoot it great (31% 3P%), but did shoot 36% as a freshman from deep.

6-0 guard. Assist/turnover ratio 2.4, averaged 5.5 apg along with over 5 rebounds per game despite being a bit undersized.

I'd take him.
I like him. Staff has also seen him in person at the dome.

I like him. Staff has also seen him in person at the dome.
He is a good player. Smart, tough and I was impressed with his athletic ability in the dome.

I think if we take a PG type from the portal this cycle though, it will be a senior with one year left.

We are well positioned to get a high level PG in the class of 2025 and I don’t think the staff wants to screw that up. But I could be wrong on this.

4600 and change total D1 scholarship hoopers and over 2k guys have been in the portal this cycle. Obviously some were walk ons but still. Basically near 50 pct of college hoopers portaled.