Poythress vs Grant | Syracusefan.com

Poythress vs Grant

pearl31

in cahoots
For all the NBA gurus on here, which of these 2 players has better prospects for the league and which would (should?) be drafted higher right now?

For all the NBA gurus on here, which of these 2 players has better prospects for the league and which would (should?) be drafted higher right now?

Let me preface this by saying - I am no NBA guru by any stretch. This is simply my opinion.

First thing - Jeff Goodman is reporting Poythress will return to UK for his Jr. season. Their frontcourt is going to be so loaded between him, Cauley-Stein, Dakari Johnson, Karl Towns and Marcus Lee that I don't even know how many minutes he'll see next year.

I think Grant is the slightly better NBA prospect. Grant has a better motor than Poythress, more length and more athleticism (although not by much). Both need to work on their jumpshots and I believe Grant will put in the work to get better. My guess, and believe me, that's all it is, is that Grant has the longer/more productive NBA career.

Is it safe to say, though, that they're roughly in the same range (lower 1st - early 2nd) for this year's draft? So why was it a no-brainer, as so many on here have stated, for Jerami to leave while Poythress is staying?

I think Grant is easily the better prospect. I don't think Poythress has a position. He's a tweener. He can't play SF, and is too small for PF. Offensively limited as well

Is it safe to say, though, that they're roughly in the same range (lower 1st - early 2nd) for this year's draft? So why was it a no-brainer, as so many on here have stated, for Jerami to leave while Poythress is staying?

I definitely think they're currently in the same range - the 20-25 slot. I wasn't in the camp of saying it was a no-brainer for Grant to leave. I think he'd have greatly improved his stock by coming back for his Jr. year. I think Poythress stock will only continue to decline because he's essentially being recruited over every year, as we know UK is the home of the 1 and done elite prospect.

I don't think Poythress has a position. He's a tweener. He can't play SF, and is too small for PF. Offensively limited as well
I don't know man, one could easily say the exact thing about JG - which is sort of why I made this thread.

I think Grant is easily the better prospect. I don't think Poythress has a position. He's a tweener. He can't play SF, and is too small for PF. Offensively limited as well
Many of the draft boards are saying this about Jerami. IMO Jerami will be seating bullets on draft night as they could both wind up in the 24-30 area which doesn't leave margin for slippage.

Poythress will play exclusively the 3 next season, if he can improve his ball handling and outside shooting he has a chance to be a lottery pick. If not not he'll remain a late 1st round early 2nd round pick.

Poythress will play exclusively the 3 next season, if he can improve his ball handling and outside shooting he has a chance to be a lottery pick. If not not he'll remain a late 1st round early 2nd round pick.

He obviously slimmed down for this past season. Maybe since Randle was coming in. I think if he continued to bulk up and had hypothetically more time at the 4 at another big program he could've been an extremely effective PF. Like an Al Horford. I always liked his game. Now trying to be a 3 is going to be tough. I think Jerami may have some more upside but I could see Poythress bulking up again in the NBA becoming the 4 he should be. Both are limited right now.

That's the exact same way to describe Grant. Grant has no SF skills and isn't big/strong enough as an NBA PF. I think Poythress is a bit quicker, but it's negligible.

How does UK have all those bigs? How can those kids go there knowing they may not get the minutes they expect/deserve (besides $$$ of course)??

Next year UK will have:
Willie Caulie-Stein 7'0" JR
Dakari Johnson 7'0" SO
Marcus Lee 6'9" SO
Derek Willis 6'9" SO
Karl Towns 6'11" FR
Trey Lyles 6'10" FR
And potentially, 6'8" Poythress

I almost feel bad for some of them, since the minutes just won't be there. But in the end, they should have known what they were getting into. I can't believe Cal will find a way to get them all minutes. Lee and Willis basically have no shot at legit minutes if that's the frontcourt depth they have next year, and Lee was a top 25 recruit.

How does UK have all those bigs? How can those kids go there knowing they may not get the minutes they expect/deserve (besides $$$ of course)??

Next year UK will have:
Willie Caulie-Stein 7'0" JR
Dakari Johnson 7'0" SO
Marcus Lee 6'9" SO
Derek Willis 6'9" SO
Karl Towns 6'11" FR
Trey Lyles 6'10" FR
And potentially, 6'8" Poythress

I almost feel bad for some of them, since the minutes just won't be there. But in the end, they should have known what they were getting into. I can't believe Cal will find a way to get them all minutes. Lee and Willis basically have no shot at legit minutes if that's the frontcourt depth they have next year, and Lee was a top 25 recruit.
Also thought about this today. Puzzling to me is of Cauley-Stein, Johnson, Towns and Lee and Lyles, I only see Lee and Lyles playing the 4. That leaves Cauley-Stein, Johnson, Towns and most likely another of these guys vying for Center minutes. I also cannot imagine Towns and Johnson on the court together. Neither are even close to being fast enough to defend the wing.

But, what a problem to have. If the twins come back, that's what...27 schollies? :)

Cal, you're the only guy who can pull it off, so make it so!

Also thought about this today. Puzzling to me is of Cauley-Stein, Johnson, Towns and Lee and Lyles, I only see Lee and Lyles playing the 4. That leaves Cauley-Stein, Johnson, Towns and most likely another of these guys vying for Center minutes. I also cannot imagine Towns and Johnson on the court together. Neither are even close to being fast enough to defend the wing.

But, what a problem to have. If the twins come back, that's what...27 schollies? :)

Cal, you're the only guy who can pull it off, so make it so!
If the twins come back (which they will) that'll make 9 McDonald's All Americans, Willie Cauley Stein who was projected as a lottery pick by some, and 2 high 3 star-low 4 star in state sophomore's for a total of 12 scholarship players. 9 Burger Boys would have to be a record.

If the twins come back (which they will) that'll make 9 McDonald's All Americans, Willie Cauley Stein who was projected as a lottery pick by some, and 2 high 3 star-low 4 star in state sophomore's for a total of 12 scholarship players. 9 Burger Boys would have to be a record.
NINE? DAMN

I wish we had those problems. Despite our supposed "great" recruiting run, we still pale in comparison to the elite programs. I'd love to have a monster class, as in multiple top 10-15 talents, that also have the impact as frosh.

He obviously slimmed down for this past season. Maybe since Randle was coming in. I think if he continued to bulk up and had hypothetically more time at the 4 at another big program he could've been an extremely effective PF. Like an Al Horford. I always liked his game. Now trying to be a 3 is going to be tough. I think Jerami may have some more upside but I could see Poythress bulking up again in the NBA becoming the 4 he should be. Both are limited right now.
Even bulked up
NINE? DAMN

I wish we had those problems. Despite our supposed "great" recruiting run, we still pale in comparison to the elite programs. I'd love to have a monster class, as in multiple top 10-15 talents, that also have the impact as frosh.
Duke had 6 Burger Boys and still lost to Mercer so you still have to play the games. http://statsheet.com/bhsb/mcplayers_by_college

Poythress is coming back.. so is johnson and Cauley Stein.. Harrisons are leaning to stay.. UK will be absolutely stacked.. ugh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom