Practice Facility Plaza Statues being installed | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Practice Facility Plaza Statues being installed

One of the most embarrassing moments I had at the dome. I was pissed when that was unveiled. It looked nothing like him, it was scrawny, It wasn't done. We had to watch the weekly make out session between Gross and Cantor before the weekly 'honoring' of some athlete of the week before watching us lose again to South Florida. Glad times have changed.

The statue in the Quad draws attention, no doubt, but it is scrawny looking.

It certainly doesn't look like the majestic Ernie Davis.

It was a great accomplishment just to get it erected but it probably should be done again.

CKs6LxKUMAEmgMG.png
Awesome!

It was a great accomplishment just to get it erected but it probably should be done again.

I happened to be in Elmira a few weeks ago and went to see the statue of Ernie. It is still in front of the middle school that has been closed for over a year. It is surrounded by weeds and neglected.

I went to the SU campus the same day and looked at the statue on the quad.

Unfortunately, the statue in Elmira is superior in size, presence, likeness and every other measure I know. I appreciate all the effort (Orangeyes) that went into it, but the result is mediocre at best. Another Doc Gross mess up in my mind.

Perhaps Elmira would donate their statue to be displayed on the quad to replace the current one?

Florange44

I happened to be in Elmira a few weeks ago and went to see the statue of Ernie. It is still in front of the middle school that has been closed for over a year. It is surrounded by weeds and neglected.

Unfortunately, the statue in Elmira is superior in size, presence, likeness and every other measure I know. I appreciate all the effort (Orangeyes) that went into it, but the result is mediocre at best. Another Doc Gross mess up in my mind.

Perhaps Elmira would donate their statue to be displayed on the quad to replace the current one?

Florange44
It is a great statue. Am trying to remember the reason SU couldn't get that statue but vaguely recall it having to do with the family. Same sculptor as did the statue on the quad. He had broken the mold of the Elmira statue so was not able to replicate it even if he had wanted to do so.

I like the Ernie statue we have in the quad. Once they corrected the original mishaps, I think it came out rather nice. I would hardly characterize it as a "Doc Gross mess up", but that's just my opinion.

Florange44

If the Elmira statue is just sitting amongst weeds, I think your idea is a good one.

Last edited:
If the Elmira statue is just sitting amongst weeds, I think your idea is a good.
The Elmira statue surely has a place, but he is in street clothes. Ernie in uniform is much more fitting for outside the dome or at the practice facility.

My regret with the existing statue is that it should have been larger than life.

The Jim Brown status is clearly going to be that way. Someone somewhere made a good decision.

My regret with the existing statue is that it should have been larger than life.

The Jim Brown status is clearly going to be that way. Someone somewhere made a good decision.
Want to like this 100 times.

Exactly.

The Elmira statue surely has a place, but he is in street clothes. Ernie in uniform is much more fitting for outside the dome or at the practice facility.

Fine with me.

I think I've seen that before...

rock-em-sock-em.jpg

Are you telling me that the rock 'em sock 'em robots are modeled after Jim Brown!? Will the wonders of 44 never cease!? Do recruits know about this!?

I hope that the very few non-athletes who go to Manley enjoy them. Would have been so much better on the plaza in front of the Dome where everyone could enjoy them. :mad:
I think in 4 years on the Hill I went to Manley exactly 0 times...

Of course, that was largely due to M Street. Every time I starting walking up Walnut Park towards campus, as a well intentioned young scholar, I just had to turn right. Typically to the old 44's. How I graduated is beyond me. But I digress.